Edwin Watts, never again

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Gold member

Ozzello,

Not to defend these guys, but none of the golf shops around here are interested in lefties. The EW up on 466 did not even have a full bag set in stock when I was shopping, and just a few clubs for the simulator. They would only order a set if I had committed to the purchase. I did find the best selection and nicest personnel at the Sarasota shop in Sanibel. But, no simulator, and they would only let me hit the driver after taping over the head, which is not ideal at all. However, I was able to buy a set that I had demo'd at the Palmer shop.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
If you use gloves that fast check out this site:
MG Golf: Cabretta Leather Golf Gloves, Golf Gloves ...
I like the 'DynaGrip Elite Glove'. They often run sales where that glove is $12.95 (for two).

I use a glove every 4-5 rounds and then I transition them into 'range gloves'. I thought that was a lot before I read your post . I never forget playing with my Dad who would use a glove forever. It would come out of the bag like a dried up leaf, might even have a hole or two.

I used to joke with him: "You know you can buy a new glove without replacing your whole set of clubs".

Anyway, I have no point except to share a place where IMO you get quality (soft cabretta leather) gloves for a decent price...
Thanks. Will check out that site for sure.

I get about 18-27 holes out of a glove before the 'sticky' seems to go away. I do use those at the range as well, but I hit about 3-5 large buckets at the range. This time of year, one used glove is fine, but in the heat of the summer, it doesn't take long to get a glove sweaty.

Tanks again for the tip.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
What is the new golf store east of there on 466, I'm not aware of any?

EW I've been in about 40 times over the past 3 years. They usually are polite but due seem to be quite loud with their conversations and comments about sports teams, players and whatever else is on their mind. Makes me feel like I'm in an office with other workers but I don't know any of them. I've bought clubs there because they take trades and I'm sometimes too lazy to sell them on eBay.

I've been using Nike Dura-Feel Gloves for about 4 years, they are about $10 to $12 at most places. You can find them online, a four pack for $25. I play about once a week 18 holes on a championship and they last me about 2 to 3 months.

I've had gray Wynn Dri-Tac grips on my clubs for the past year, they feel great at first but don't keep the tackyness for long. I had bought them and had them installed at the Sarasota Pro Shop in TV. They charged $10 a club for grips and labor. I had them replaced last week at Jim's Golf Shop with Golf Pride Tour Wraps in white, grips and labor was $90. That's a nice shop owned by a Villager in front of Target, between the Century Link Store and Jersey Mike's Subs.

The Villages Florida
The new store is in the little plaza where the urgent care is. The owner was a touring pro.

I see the Nike Dura Feel on Ebay at a good price, would really like find one in a store 1st to check the fit first though. Being a southpaw is great on all those doglegs to the right.. but MAN I would love to have the demos to try you right handers get

How do you like the tour wraps?

I like Jim's, but it is a little out of the way for most of my travels. They have been great every time I have been in the store, and I always check them out for a big purchase.
I bought my Bushnell Hybrid rangefinder there, and when I downloaded the update, it cleared the GPS of all the courses and went buggy. I took it back to Jim's, and instead of them blowing me off to deal with the manufacturer ( completely within the warrantee agreement), one guy there spent like 2 hours on the phone with Bushnell and got it fixed for me. They also are quite ready to check a shaft flex or whatever at no charge, doesn't matter if you are purchasing something or not.
Jim's gets 5 stars in my book, for "not being (enter big sporting goods store name)" like the sign out front says :P
Old 11-23-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Ozzello,

Not to defend these guys, but none of the golf shops around here are interested in lefties. The EW up on 466 did not even have a full bag set in stock when I was shopping, and just a few clubs for the simulator. They would only order a set if I had committed to the purchase. I did find the best selection and nicest personnel at the Sarasota shop in Sanibel. But, no simulator, and they would only let me hit the driver after taping over the head, which is not ideal at all. However, I was able to buy a set that I had demo'd at the Palmer shop.
Only southpaws stand on the RIGHT side of the ball !

I love the Palmer shop, they had plenty of lefty iron sets there. Though most were hybrid type irons in Sr. flex, and I need something on the stiff side of regular, and was after something forged and geared at a single digit handicap.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
The new store is in the little plaza where the urgent care is. The owner was a touring pro.

I see the Nike Dura Feel on Ebay at a good price, would really like find one in a store 1st to check the fit first though. Being a southpaw is great on all those doglegs to the right.. but MAN I would love to have the demos to try you right handers get

How do you like the tour wraps?

I like Jim's, but it is a little out of the way for most of my travels. They have been great every time I have been in the store, and I always check them out for a big purchase...
The Dura-Feel Gloves are sold at The Villages Sarasota Pro Shop/Driving Range, they probably have the biggest selection in this area. Dick's Sportings Goods also has them in Ocala.

The Golf Pride Tour Wraps I had on my clubs about 3 years ago, I should of stayed with them. They have a nice feel and come in colors, I just got white ones, they have red and black as well. They seem to hold up pretty good and when wet they are still tacky. Jim's had them for like $4.95 and $2.50 a club to install, it was about $90 for 12 clubs.

The only golf shop east of EW and has an Urgent Care nearby I can think of, is that little tan shopping center across from Mission Hills CYV's. However, I thought they went out of business and merged with the liquidator store up in Summerfield.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
January this year I decided to take up golfing again, after about 12 years. Wanting to play my best, I started with replacing my outdated driver. Went to Edwin Watts on 466 and a clerk helped me through hitting 3 or 4 drivers. He explained the results on the launch monitor and I bought a nice used Cobradriver for 100 bucks.

A few weeks later I decided to replace the old irons. I went straight to EW. Browsed the racks and saw some like new used Pings for 5 or 6 hundred. The 7 iron had some tryout marks on it already, so I grabbed it of the rack, and asked one of the clerks if I could hit a few balls with it. The guy didn't answer me, but started walking REAL slow toward the launch monitor, and asks me "How much money you got?"
Now I giggle a bit, and turn to roll a ball up to hit, and this guy isn't cracking a smile, nor setting up the monitor. I thank him for his time, and leave.
Yes I am a bit younger (48) And I was wearing a t-shirt..but it was clean, and I make around 100K a year, I can afford any set of clubs in the store. heck, I almost bought a set of Honma irons.
Bought a set of Nike VR irons, and a set of Callaway X tour forged irons. Elsewhere.

Then in June, I decide I want a new putter. Yes, I got it bad. Being left handed, there aren't many demos for us, so I make the rounds to all the shops in the area. One crabby clerk isn't going to cause me to stay out a store. I stop in and putt a couple with every LH putter in the store. Nothing seemed better than the 2-ball putter I have, so I smiled and headed for the door. The nice guy that had helped me get the driver says " Thanks for using our air conditioning!" Yea, got to be the t-shirt.
Bought a Ping Anser, A Callaway Tank, and a Callaway Versa Metal X.... elsewhere. I like the Tank best.

Since then, I have bought a $400 Hybrid rangefinder, New Cobra 3 and 5 woods, several hybrids, 3 new Cleveland wedges and 5 Vokey wedges. I use 4-5 gloves a week and have another shop order them in bulk for me. I also bought one of those cart bags that your clubs spin around in. 2 pairs of shoes so far, and about $50 a week in balls. I would list the rest of what I have bought in the last year, but I want to get back to the real subject.

Last week, after much research, I decided to try some Winn dri tac grips out. I stopped at, yes, EW on 466. I asked if they had them, and they did. But they didn't have red and black, just the plain black. I grabbed a wedge and had them put one on for a trial run. I liked it so far, so I went and bought 10 red and black grips online, and on the way to the range, stopped in at EW ( hey, it is on the way to the range where I spend ... well nevermind) and ask if they had time to put on a set of grips. "Sure! This guy here will do it".. I tell them I have my own grips, and they both look at me like I spit on the floor. "Well, actually, he is about to leave and won't have time." Another clerk is walking up.. " Oh and, we are running a really big sale today and can't tie up anyone to do it". I am the ONLY customer in the STORE.

Well Edwin W. I don't care if you have a magic set of golf clubs that would make me a tour winning pro and no one else has them, I will NOT set foot in YOUR STORE again.

Your response isn't unique to the store. 2 years ago my wife wanted to by golf shoes for me as a birthday present. (She was consistently recognized for superior customer service) .After the encounter she said that is the worst customer service she had ever seen.

There are other places that value your business:

Jims golf on the ( on 27/441 or Americas golf Outlet (same)
come to mind.

To try out clubs Custom golf @ Palmer golf course or Saratoga (466a & Morse) or any course during demo days. Hit to your hearts content.

Another place is on Baylee Plaza (On 441 ) . Not only can you get taylormade's etc -they WILL offer a very competitive price.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The Dura-Feel Gloves are sold at The Villages Sarasota Pro Shop/Driving Range, they probably have the biggest selection in this area. Dick's Sportings Goods also has them in Ocala.

The Golf Pride Tour Wraps I had on my clubs about 3 years ago, I should of stayed with them. They have a nice feel and come in colors, I just got white ones, they have red and black as well. They seem to hold up pretty good and when wet they are still tacky. Jim's had them for like $4.95 and $2.50 a club to install, it was about $90 for 12 clubs.

The only golf shop east of EW and has an Urgent Care nearby I can think of, is that little tan shopping center across from Mission Hills CYV's. However, I thought they went out of business and merged with the liquidator store up in Summerfield.
That shop did close, a new shop opened up in that same plaza, a few doors down. They had a sign spinner out there all last week.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
That shop did close, a new shop opened up in that same plaza, a few doors down. They had a sign spinner out there all last week.
OK, that's good to know, Thanks.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I talked to the asst. manager. Got a glib apology. Also told him I planned to post here. Will speak with the manager Monday. If he apologizes I will post that he did. He does anything more than that, I will remove this post.
Well...?
Old 12-06-2014, 07:46 AM

My name is Tom Pyrzenski, an employee at Edwin Watts. After reading a "documentary"
regarding an individuals visit to our store I am inviting this person to come back and ask for me personally. I work on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturday.
I would very much like to discuss the problem that seemed to develop and see if I can better understand the situation and perhaps rectify a poor relationship.
We pride ourselves on taking care of our customers.
At least you know my name.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:52 PM

several hybrid, Cleveland wedges, vokey wedges and more clubs. What happened to paying for a fitting and then buying the clubs that fit you????
Old 12-22-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy D View Post
several hybrid, Cleveland wedges, vokey wedges and more clubs. What happened to paying for a fitting and then buying the clubs that fit you????
Or buying cheaper clubs hoping they will work, then trying better clubs and liking them?
I paid for a fitting. The irons and wedges I use now are forged and can be fitted to me, once my swing coach gets me dialed in. The fitting was a waste of money, since I am fairly new to golf and still developing my swing.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
That's like buying motor oil, then taking it to a service station to have it replaced in your motor vehicle. Just my thoughts!!
I agree with you 100%. Also seems pretty strange that with a $100,000 income anyone would buy premier grips on the internet rather than paying the big bucks to get them done at EW where he bought all those used clubs.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Platinum member

///

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 12-22-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguyintv View Post
I agree with you 100%. Also seems pretty strange that with a $100,000 income anyone would buy premier grips on the internet rather than paying the big bucks to get them done at EW where he bought all those used clubs.
As I said... I wanted red and black, and they didn't have them.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.