Golf points

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2014, 10:57 AM
Question Golf points

Can someone explain the point system for golfing that The Villages uses? I don't know how points are added or subtracted.
Thanks
Old 10-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Gold member

Go to the Good Golf School and your question plus many more will be covered.

Thursday, November 06, 2014
:: Good Golf School
Time: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Description: Get the most out of the Tee Times Reservation System
Old 10-22-2014, 12:52 PM
Sage

Going to the school is good advice. It's been a while so I don't know if this is still true but they use to have a handbook explaining everything at the starter shacks.

I copied this from The Village Tee Time [do you know what that is?]

What are points? Points are used to provide golf tee times to all players on an equitable basis. Without the points system, some golfers would use up all of the tee times and some golfer would never get to play - especially in the busy months. The Golf Office provides the rules that determine points and their application in the Tee Time system.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGRANNYT View Post
Can someone explain the point system for golfing that The Villages uses? I don't know how points are added or subtracted.
Thanks
1 point charged for playing golf
3 points charged for making a reservation & not showing up

Partial point charged for a t-time not on your requested time. I.E. if you ask for 11am and get 10:30 or 11:30 you may only be charge .6 points (or thereabouts).

Executive and championship points are separate.

Points drop off after 7 days
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Last edited by aln; 10-22-2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: 1 more sentence
Old 10-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Guy View Post
Go to the Good Golf School and your question plus many more will be covered.

Thursday, November 06, 2014
:: Good Golf School
Time: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Description: Get the most out of the Tee Times Reservation System

We attended this last Thursday and it was worth every minute. Our class was filled and we signed up the end of September. You may want to call to reserve your spot. You won't be sorry.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Sage
Default Great write up here

In case you ever need refreshing...

http://www.golfthevillages.com/golf-...heVillages.pdf
Old 10-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Without the points system, some golfers would use up all of the tee times and some golfer would never get to play - especially in the busy months.
If that's the case then there simply are not enough golf courses. I no longer play, but I moved here with the understanding that I would have free golf for life. To me, that implies that I get to play everyday until I die. If I were told that I could not play golf one day because of some point system that was not explained before I bought, I'd be in the office looking for a rebate on my amenity bill.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
If that's the case then there simply are not enough golf courses. I no longer play, but I moved here with the understanding that I would have free golf for life. To me, that implies that I get to play everyday until I die. If I were told that I could not play golf one day because of some point system that was not explained before I bought, I'd be in the office looking for a rebate on my amenity bill.
The example given in the class, were 9 individuals that have played 9 holes of golf every day this year. You can get tee times, but will need to be flexible. The suggestion was to request every golf course and give a 6 hour time span you are willing to golf. You may not get the neighboring course with a tee time request of 10:00 AM and need to broaden the request.

It is also easier with a single or couple requesting the time. Then they can be paired with a group that is single or a double.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Gold member

Quote:
you are doing something wrong. I play everyday with my neighbor. 365 days a year and 98 pct of the time with nice early tee times. and im still a sh--- golfer but we have a good time.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
you are doing something wrong. I play everyday with my neighbor. 365 days a year and 98 pct of the time with nice early tee times. and im still a sh--- golfer but we have a good time.
me too. i round out foursomes so it's even easier.
thanks for posting
Old 10-22-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Don't agree with your logic. "Free" means you do not pay for a service or product that you receive. "Free" does not guarantee an unlimited supply of said service or product.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:33 PM

Thank you everyone for your input.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran member

My understanding of the point system is that it really doesn't matter in the summertime when there is an abundance of available tee times, unless you HAVE to play early in the morning.

The point system comes into play during the "snowbird" season when The Villages fills up with people all wanting to play golf and there are limited available tee times. People with fewer points will have a greater chance of booking tee times near their requested times and courses. Those with higher points will be behind them in getting tee times.

The points you accumulate for a round of golf stay on your account for a week and then are removed.

To play golf in the winter time, you have to be very flexible with your tee times of golf courses. The greater the selection of courses and greater range of start times will increase your chances of getting a tee time.

The points accumulate separately for Champ. courses and Exec. courses.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:05 AM
Sage
Default How much you play is not number one factor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
In case you ever need refreshing...

http://www.golfthevillages.com/golf-...heVillages.pdf
One thing to take away from this document is understanding placement points versus reservation points. From the document:
The first factor in the distribution of tee times is “Placement Points.” As placement points take precedence over reservation points...

<Alan's words>Placement points are determined by 'who' makes up your group (type of member if you will). Reservation points are based on how much you play.</Alan's words>

This can impact you during busy season trying to bring a guest to an executive course or getting the tee time you wish on championship courses if you do not wish to pay the extra for a priority membership.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.