Rules at Driving Range

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Veteran member
Default Rules at Driving Range

Anticipating my family's arrival from Pa,I went over to the driving range across 466A where you try to hit the greens placed in the lake.I had on a t-shirt,sandals and jean shorts.I was not there to hit golf balls myself.The attendant gave me the price,explained about the passes and told me rather sternly proper golf attire was required.He said no cut-offs,frayed shorts and you needed a collared shirt.I thought this was rather strict to just hit golf balls but rules are rules and I said fine.I did see some women wearing tank tops and sleeveless blouses halls hitting golf balls but thought no big deal.Today my son-in-law and grandson[properly attired] went to hit balls accompanied by my daughter.The attendant said to my daughter "I hope you're not here to hit because the straps on your sundress have to be at least two inches wide and your straps are too thin".Talk about stupid! to hit golf balls in Florida you women have to have wide straps on your top attire.The strap police are out at the driving range.Am I wrong to think that this is stupid? I mean think about it.Was he going to measure the next woman's straps if they looked borderline narrow.Maybe it's me and rules are rules but to me this policy at least about the width of women's straps is totally absurd.And please don't tell me that this is in effect to prevent bikini like attire.This outfit she had on would be acceptable anywhere.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Veteran member

I personally think that the dress rules for driving ranges are over kill but rules are rules (as you stated). Here you can find the dress code for ranges and the courses in The Villages (page 14):

http://www.golfthevillages.com/golf-...fGuide1.12.pdf
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:37 PM

I agree that the dress code for TV golf courses and driving ranges needs to be revised a bit, but until it is a line has to be drawn somewhere and right now it's a fair and consistent line. If you watch the LPGA tour players with the clothes they are wearing, most of them would not meet the guidelines of TV code, but then again I would not want to see most of TV residents dress like LPGA players on the course anyway. In addition, if I want to see guys on golf courses in t-shirts, cut-offs and/or flip-flops I'll go to any of the local muni courses and play.

Okay I feel better now.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:42 PM

It depends on who the attendant is,,,,One day I am fine with shorts and a t shirt, the next I have to have a collar on my shirt....I just carry and extra shirt incase..
Old 08-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Platinum member

You can always try the driving range on Rolling Acres Road next to the Villages Wood Shop. They are more relaxed and cheaper to boot.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:51 PM

Why doesn't everyone just abide the by the rules or just don't use it. Somewhere there is ALWAYS someone, or that small 1-2% of the population that feels the rules are too strict or shouldn't apply to them. Thus they "try" to either break them or get test them. Lots of threads on this in here.
We too went to the range to teach my Best half the fundamentals. She had on a strap that was not the 2" required and the attendant was nice about it and told us. We were fine with it and came back later. Again, the rules are the rules and live with it OR GO ELSEWHERE TO PLAY OR HIT BALLS.
To say you will bring an "extra" shirt just in case one of the attendants "enforce" the rules is just wrong! Go there with the proper shirt and don't worry about it than! Of course the replay will be.. we were just out and thought we would stop by to hit some. than by all means change your shirt or shorts. DO that in private too!
There now I vented and feel better
Old 08-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Veteran member

The strap patrol boys were probably promoted from the troll patrol. STRICT enforcement is the name of the game.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatherer47 View Post
Anticipating my family's arrival from Pa,I went over to the driving range across 466A where you try to hit the greens placed in the lake.I had on a t-shirt,sandals and jean shorts.I was not there to hit golf balls myself.The attendant gave me the price,explained about the passes and told me rather sternly proper golf attire was required.He said no cut-offs,frayed shorts and you needed a collared shirt.I thought this was rather strict to just hit golf balls but rules are rules and I said fine.I did see some women wearing tank tops and sleeveless blouses halls hitting golf balls but thought no big deal.Today my son-in-law and grandson[properly attired] went to hit balls accompanied by my daughter.The attendant said to my daughter "I hope you're not here to hit because the straps on your sundress have to be at least two inches wide and your straps are too thin".Talk about stupid! to hit golf balls in Florida you women have to have wide straps on your top attire.The strap police are out at the driving range.Am I wrong to think that this is stupid? I mean think about it.Was he going to measure the next woman's straps if they looked borderline narrow.Maybe it's me and rules are rules but to me this policy at least about the width of women's straps is totally absurd.And please don't tell me that this is in effect to prevent bikini like attire.This outfit she had on would be acceptable anywhere.
If there is one thing I have learned since moving here is that if he let your daughter on the range with straps that appeared too thin by the dress code, someone will see that and come to the range with straps that are thinner. Then someone will see that and the straps will become thinner.

There seems to be a game ongoing with people seeing how far they can push the envelope as far as rules are concerned. Roundabouts, signs, golf cart speeds, lawn ornaments, etc. are all fair game.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

gatherer47 posted that his daughter accompanied them. so i think it was pretty stupid and rude of the attendant to assume that the young woman was there to hit golf balls and jumped on the opportunity to flex his enforcement muscles! in a sundress? now when was the last time any of you golfers saw a woman on the golf course in a sundress? do you see it in an lpga tournament? sheesh!

Last edited by TOTV Team; 08-12-2012 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Typo by poster
Old 08-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Veteran member

I did abide by the rules and I always will.It doesn't mean that the rule is not absurd.What possible harm to society is it if a strap is one inch wide or two?What's the difference?Who Cares?And I resent you Roaddog53 for lumping me in with rulebreakers and assuming I think rules don't apply to me.I reiterate I FOLLOW the rules even if they are stupid so don't include me in that 2%.I didn't test any rule or break any!!!! There, so I vented and now I'm done.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Gold member

Anybody know if the driving range is hiring? Sounds like a great job..............................
Old 08-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

so if women wear 2" suspenders that would count
Old 08-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Veteran member

No, because I know someone who brought her 17 yr. old grandaughter there and she was told her top was too low cut, and she had to leave.
Apparently, she was humiliated, hates The Villages now, and says she is never coming here again.
Grandma is sad!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:19 PM

Then I guess Grandma should have known the rules better because she is supposed to ensure her guests know and abide by the rules. If that would have happened then her guest would not have been put in a position to be embarressed.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatherer47 View Post
What possible harm to society is it if a strap is one inch wide or two?What's the difference?
Well ya gotta draw the line somewhere! Just happens to be that the line is drawn at 2"!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.