Played De La Vista Today

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2016, 12:48 PM
Default Played De La Vista Today

Had I known it was a cow pasture I could have saved some travel time & went to the one on 466A across from Pinellas!
Old 03-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPSKIPJUMP View Post
Had I known it was a cow pasture I could have saved some travel time & went to the one on 466A across from Pinellas!
I played there today also and have to agree. The greens were terrible for a course that has been closed a year for renovations.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:55 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I played there today also and have to agree. The greens were terrible for a course that has been closed a year for renovations.

Z
We are playing it tomorrow. Had no idea it had been closed a whole year so no wonder we could not ever get on it. It must have been totally worse before hand. Guess we'll see tomorrow.

Last edited by DonH57; 03-11-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Veteran member

Mira Mesa was much the same on Wed 3/9. Most greens very thin - 8 & 9 were ok.
Two reasons I can think of is poor watering and/or were stuck between winter & summer grasses.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 03-11-2016, 11:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aln View Post
Mira Mesa was much the same on Wed 3/9. Most greens very thin - 8 & 9 were ok.
Two reasons I can think of is poor watering and/or were stuck between winter & summer grasses.
I vote for stuck.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I noticed during today's play at De La Vista the greens were bumpy with old unrepaired ball marks and gouges from what appeared to be club strikes or who knows what else.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Lot of beginning golfers play that short course. It takes beating everyday. Pretty flat, short, and simple. IMO probably the easiest course on campus. Gives some of us reason to thump or chests
Old 03-11-2016, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I noticed during today's play at De La Vista the greens were bumpy with old unrepaired ball marks and gouges from what appeared to be club strikes or who knows what else.
I'd be safe to say that the ball marks are from the privileged/entitled who think it's below them to fix the marks and the gouges are from people who are not as great as they think they are and take it out on the green when they lose a hole for $.25.

The execs are so brutally slow now from, you've seen them, the stiff arm back swing with no wrist cock club and the pointed straight up in the air with their left heel coming way off the ground and the down swing is started with a dipping, sliding forward motion and the result is a 50yd shot dead pushed to the right. Am I correct? Golf would be so much more fun and enjoyable for everyone if SOME would just take some lessons from someone that knows what they're doing; and ladies, 99.9% of the time, that is not your husband.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:40 AM

Golf maintenance has no clue about golf green upkeep! They have green rollers and never use them! The greens will never roll true without frequent rolling, because the foot prints are never removed! I hit putts from 5 feet and they go 3 different directions depending on what part of a foot print they hit! I continue to explore golf outside TV! We are a golf cart community but the suggestion that we are a golfing community is laughable!
Old 05-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Sage

I played Spruce Creek South on Thursday. It's in the best shape I have seen this year - big change from three weeks ago.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 06-11-2016, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marting163 View Post
Golf maintenance has no clue about golf green upkeep! They have green rollers and never use them! The greens will never roll true without frequent rolling, because the foot prints are never removed! I hit putts from 5 feet and they go 3 different directions depending on what part of a foot print they hit! I continue to explore golf outside TV! We are a golf cart community but the suggestion that we are a golfing community is laughable!
Green rollers? I worked at golf courses for thirty five years and never saw a superintendent use a green roller.

There is a device that is used for US Opens and a few other tournaments but or run of the mill golf courses, never.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I played De La Vista today and it was in about the same shape as the other execs I've played. The greens on al of them are pretty much atrocious. Tees were good. The fairways on the two par four holes are pretty skimpy. I only missed one green and the area I had to chip from was very good. Overall it looked OK except for a lot of dead spots on greens.

I talked to the starter and he said that no one played the course this morning until about 10:00 because it's so bad. I didn't think it was good, but I got to go out and hit a ball around a field. How bad can that be?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, travel, 466a, saved, pinellassad, today, vista, pasture, played, cow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.