Home Security

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2015, 04:25 PM
Platinum member
Default Home Security

I was just reading Chellybean's post on a front door lock system and thought I'd enter the discussion but with a different topic.

Good locks and fortified door frames are a great idea, but I'm a big advocate of a home security system. If a burglar wants to break into your home, he/she will find a way, regardless of lock, door frame, or well placed firearm. They are going to do it when you are not there, and they are going to do it using the simplest, most quiet, and easiest way. But if they see you have a security system in place, their thinking is "why take the chance of drawing attention to my break in when I can just go somewhere else." If we all had them, the burglars would all go to some other community.

New technologies in the systems make them smarter, wireless, and easy to use, and they offer much more than just burglar protection. You can control lights, appliances, and door locks with wireless systems including cameras for a reasonable price, most from an app on your smartphone or with a separate controller.

Wouldn't it be nice if the VCCD's could negotiate a bulk deal and get us all a group purchasing price? At roughly 55,000 homes, if half, or even a quarter took advantage of a deal we could get an amazing price! What company wouldn't want to get 13,750 new customers in one contract?
Old 10-15-2015, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I was just reading Chellybean's post on a front door lock system and thought I'd enter the discussion but with a different topic.

Good locks and fortified door frames are a great idea, but I'm a big advocate of a home security system. If a burglar wants to break into your home, he/she will find a way, regardless of lock, door frame, or well placed firearm. They are going to do it when you are not there, and they are going to do it using the simplest, most quiet, and easiest way. But if they see you have a security system in place, their thinking is "why take the chance of drawing attention to my break in when I can just go somewhere else." If we all had them, the burglars would all go to some other community.

New technologies in the systems make them smarter, wireless, and easy to use, and they offer much more than just burglar protection. You can control lights, appliances, and door locks with wireless systems including cameras for a reasonable price, most from an app on your smartphone or with a separate controller.

Wouldn't it be nice if the VCCD's could negotiate a bulk deal and get us all a group purchasing price? At roughly 55,000 homes, if half, or even a quarter took advantage of a deal we could get an amazing price! What company wouldn't want to get 13,750 new customers in one contract?
Did you look at the various wireless systems? Do you have an opinion on livewatch vs simplisafe vs the centurylink and brighthouse products?
Old 10-15-2015, 05:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

I had Thoroughbred Security from Ocala do our system.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-15-2015, 06:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Did you look at the various wireless systems? Do you have an opinion on livewatch vs simplisafe vs the centurylink and brighthouse products?
I haven't researched recently, but I did some extensive investigation several years ago and my choice was FrontPoint Security. They give a lot for the price and their customer service is the best of any company with which I've ever worked.

10 Best Home Security of 2015 | Trusted by 547,000 | Consumers Advocate

https://www.frontpointsecurity.com/

There are a lot of features to consider, but as long as the price is right and the system sets off an audible alarm and dispatches the police, then I think you accomplish your goal.

Last edited by Cedwards38; 10-15-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:37 PM
Platinum member

Do I really need a security system? | SafeWise
Old 10-16-2015, 03:13 AM

The link for Front Point indicates they have a 3 year contract. I am currently paying ADT $1000 for breaking our 3 year contract with ADT by moving to The Villages. I will never sign a contract with another security company. We were with ADT for 23 years but it will be Simplisafe for us when we arrive.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-16-2015, 07:43 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
The link for Front Point indicates they have a 3 year contract. I am currently paying ADT $1000 for breaking our 3 year contract with ADT by moving to The Villages. I will never sign a contract with another security company. We were with ADT for 23 years but it will be Simplisafe for us when we arrive.
I don't mind a contract because I really like the services, and it locks in the lower price, but the important point is to have some system in place. If we all had them and used them, home break ins would go away in The Villages. That's enough to scare the burglars away. There are a lot of really good companies out there, including Simplisafe.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:54 AM
Gold member

We use SimpliSafe wireless system. $25/mo maximum and no contract.

Tags
door, price, system, security, home, deal, wireless, systems, break, locks, lock, burglar, protection, control, lights, cameras, including, appliances, company, smarter, make, contract, easy, customers, offer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.