Dethatcher

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2017, 12:47 PM
Default Dethatcher

can anyone recommend a lawn dethatcher person?
Old 03-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

I may be wrong, but I thought thatch was good for Florida lawns, with the very sandy soil here. IMHO, check with master gardener and see if dethatching is a good idea.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I may be wrong, but I thought thatch was good for Florida lawns, with the very sandy soil here. IMHO, check with master gardener and see if dethatching is a good idea.
Thatch is good for the sandy soils we have here; not so much for the clay soils I had in Missouri.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:15 AM
Gold member
Default There are always differences of opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjax View Post
can anyone recommend a lawn dethatcher person?
To dethatch or not to dethatch that is the question.

If, you have St Augustine grass it sends out runners on top of the soil so if you dethatch you will pull out a great deal of live grass.

Now, is about the best time to dethatch but, when you open up the bare or thin sections you will surely give weeds a chance to grow.

The cooperative extension is a great asset. You might take a shovel and remove a couple of sq foot of your lawn and bring it to them to advise you of issues. It is not difficult to do and you can simply put it back.

All or much of plant care is subjective. Sadly, what we call gardeners, landscape people, they are a business. They want to, they need to SELL YOU SOMETHING.

For the cooperative extension. They have no need to sell you anything. In fact they usually refuse to recommend a specific product. Their view leans toward minimal environmental impact. They discourage preventative use of insecticides, fungicides etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
dethatcher, lawn, person, recommend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.