Do homeowners do their own landscaping?

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2015, 01:12 PM
Default Do homeowners do their own landscaping?

With all the activities that TV has to offer, do more or less people do their own landscaping? This doesn't include the occasional weeding of a lawn or flower bed. It seems that most homeowners employ a landscaper to do this type of work. If you enjoy it, that's one thing, I see neighbors at our other home out weeding and planting most of the day and the there shot for the remainder of the afternoon. Just a thought, have a good weekend.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:02 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

I would guess that 90% hire their yard work done. Some start doing the work as "Newbees" but quickly change their minds after the first summer.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

I have a few neighbors that do all of their own work. Right now I have others doing ours, as I do not feel qualified to do my own. I am doing the trimming of the shrubbery, and occasionally adding to the pine straw.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate View Post
With all the activities that TV has to offer, do more or less people do their own landscaping? This doesn't include the occasional weeding of a lawn or flower bed. It seems that most homeowners employ a landscaper to do this type of work. If you enjoy it, that's one thing, I see neighbors at our other home out weeding and planting most of the day and the there shot for the remainder of the afternoon. Just a thought, have a good weekend.
You have to do what works for you, not how others are doing theirs.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:19 PM
Gold member

Hubby still mows our lawn and it looks fabulous. Do what is best for you!
Old 05-24-2015, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I did our landscaping - yes me. Although the other half had to do the really heavy stuff. I absolutely hated the generic builder grade landscaping and got rid of it down to the bare ground. Dug the yard over, dug in loads of compost and horse manure, and planted my Northern flowers which (of course) all died during the first summer we were here. Then I got the books, joined the garden club, started to learn about what grows here and what does not, and went from there. I still mess with plants, this year I am trying a new lavender which has been hybridized for warm climates, we shall see. I have two hydrangeas that are growing just great, covered in flowers. I just purchased a Rhododendron - again hybridized for our climate, it looks good and is sending up new shoots, but we will see if it comes back next year!

We have a yard service that mows and trims, and once a year cuts back our bottle brush hedge before it envelopes the whole house.

I love gardening, go out first thing in the morning daily to do general weed pulling and talking to the plants and then I'm done for the day. I also grow veggies in pots.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-24-2015, 09:17 PM

Thank you for the replies.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:25 PM
Platinum member

Most people I know do nothing themselves..
Old 05-25-2015, 04:49 AM
Gold member

I have my lawn mowed, but do all the other chores in yard, like planting, trimming bushes, fixing and adjusting sprinkler heads, and weeding, AND watching for snakes!!!
Old 05-25-2015, 04:54 AM
Veteran member

After a year's worth of very ordinary lawn service, my husband and I are doing it ourselves. He mows edges and trims and I weed, plant and trim shrubs. However, I don't think even 5% of homeowners here in TV do their own. In the almost summer heat we've been having, I understand why that is the case!
Old 05-25-2015, 11:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate View Post
With all the activities that TV has to offer, do more or less people do their own landscaping?
A Villages Sales Rep told us that 40% of residents are seasonal.
In addition to that number, there are many people who choose not to do their own lawn care due the heat, the fact that they are physically challenged, busy with activities, or just personal preference.
I think that the number of people who do their own lawn care is small.
However those that do their own care seem to do it well and with pride!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.