Do NOT hire this landscaper!

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Default Do NOT hire this landscaper!

A couple of months ago two neighbors of mine had some landscape work done. The landscaper came over and we talked about a plan and we both signed a contract. I paid money up front for him to be able to go and purchase the palms I wanted. He told me he had them and they were beautiful. Then he wanted more money for the rock and blocks for the retaining wall. I, once again, ignorantly but trustingly, paid him more money. He came and did some manual labor like removing plants and shrubs that I no longer wanted and he removed some sod and rock that was to be moved to another area. When it came time to start installing trees and other plants and the wall etc, he was not coming. He would say he would be there and then not show up. This went on for the past two months. I heard every excuse in the book...I am watching my kids, my wife left me out of the blue, my trailer is broken and the list goes on and on! I have filed a report with Better Business Bureau which, of course he has not answered. I have also filed a report with Seniors vs Crime. I was told they had already been talking to this guy for other jobs he has taken money for and not completed. I have discovered in the interim by visiting his Facebook page that he now says he is the former owner of Tru Solutions Landscaping and works for someone else. I don't believe he is working for anyone else and is still out there ripping people off. His name is Chris Charbonneau. He has red very short hair, like a very short crew cut. He sometimes is accompanied by his wife, Heathe, and one of his four children. Look up his pic on Facebook so you know who it is. He also has a mug shot online. He is concentrating his efforts now in the new sections off of Hillsborough on both sides of Morse. Please do NOT give him any money or the job. There are too many landscapers out there that can be trusted. If you have to pay someone any money up front...move on to someone else. I have learned a very expensive lesson and now have a torn up yard and will have to pay again to have someone come and do their best to make it look nice! Just BEWARE!!! I hope I am able to help someone from not getting taken!
Old 04-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

Is his name Devin Dodd. Seniors vs Crime worked with Sumter County Sheriff and he was arrested.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Chris Charbonneau has quite a reputation here. Sadly, he's fleeced many people in the past and will most likely continue doing so. Here's hoping he ultimately gets the same fate as Mr. Dodd and may they both get some prison time, not just slaps on the wrist.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-13-2015, 08:44 AM
Default Landscaper - Same Experience with him

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw3080 View Post
A couple of months ago two neighbors of mine had some landscape work done. The landscaper came over and we talked about a plan and we both signed a contract. I paid money up front for him to be able to go and purchase the palms I wanted. He told me he had them and they were beautiful. Then he wanted more money for the rock and blocks for the retaining wall. I, once again, ignorantly but trustingly, paid him more money. He came and did some manual labor like removing plants and shrubs that I no longer wanted and he removed some sod and rock that was to be moved to another area. When it came time to start installing trees and other plants and the wall etc, he was not coming. He would say he would be there and then not show up. This went on for the past two months. I heard every excuse in the book...I am watching my kids, my wife left me out of the blue, my trailer is broken and the list goes on and on! I have filed a report with Better Business Bureau which, of course he has not answered. I have also filed a report with Seniors vs Crime. I was told they had already been talking to this guy for other jobs he has taken money for and not completed. I have discovered in the interim by visiting his Facebook page that he now says he is the former owner of Tru Solutions Landscaping and works for someone else. I don't believe he is working for anyone else and is still out there ripping people off. His name is Chris Charbonneau. He has red very short hair, like a very short crew cut. He sometimes is accompanied by his wife, Heathe, and one of his four children. Look up his pic on Facebook so you know who it is. He also has a mug shot online. He is concentrating his efforts now in the new sections off of Hillsborough on both sides of Morse. Please do NOT give him any money or the job. There are too many landscapers out there that can be trusted. If you have to pay someone any money up front...move on to someone else. I have learned a very expensive lesson and now have a torn up yard and will have to pay again to have someone come and do their best to make it look nice! Just BEWARE!!! I hope I am able to help someone from not getting taken!
I have had same experience and lost alot of money.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:45 AM

Does anyone want to join forces and go to the Sheriff? I am new to TOTV but not new to Chris Charbonneau unfortunately
Old 04-13-2015, 08:50 AM
Default Landscaper - Same Experience with him

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw3080 View Post
I have had same experience and lost alot of money.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:00 AM

This guy buried my sprinklers under weed mat so my plants died and left my job half-done; took off with the cash., the sod, and lots of the plants he dug up in my yard.

Last edited by blue skies; 04-15-2015 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:04 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

OP, at one time or another, most of us have been taken by somebody we trusted to do a job. I too learn my lesson a few years ago---now I never pay a contractor before the job is complete. Thanks for sharing your experence. I too hope it saves someone from a similar Experence.

Lets hope this guy gets arrested and prison time soon.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
OP, at one time or another, most of us have been taken by somebody we trusted to do a job. I too learn my lesson a few years ago---now I never pay a contractor before the job is complete. Thanks for sharing your experence. I too hope it saves someone from a similar Experence.

Lets hope this guy gets arrested and prison time soon.
I'd like to think he gets his just deserts as well. However...he may not. I was scammed shortly after moving here, found others who fell prey to the same person. I met with Seniors vs Crime and we put all the evidence we could find together. I even found prior arrests on this guy for the same thing. A Lt with the SCSO was assigned to my case. He did a great job, put the case together and presented it to the Sumter Co DA' s office. It was assigned to an assistant DA and died with him. I even spent time on the phone with him but he declined to,prosecute.

Fortunately the idiot pulled the same trick in villages in Lake County and their DA's office put him away for awhile. A year later he's back out on the street's of TV doing the same thing.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:00 PM
Default Charbonneau

Is this the guy?

https://www.facebook.com/chris.charbonneau.125
Old 04-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Veteran member

Have to wonder why he was not prosecuted in the first place and if the consumer is really being protected or being treated as a pest.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:53 PM
Gold member

Never Pay up front. If the contractor can't do a job with out seeing up front money ,find one who will. There are a lot of responsible guys out there.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:07 PM

This guy got me too. Seniors vs crime has 13 complaints about him. Wish I had checked with them before giving him money.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober III View Post

Unfortunately not.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:16 PM
Unhappy Scammed as well!!

We were scammed in a very similar manner by Devin Dodd of Specialty Landscape Designs. He comes across as a very nice guy, will deliver a very nice palm, tear your yard up, remove the shrubs, take a large downpayment then give every excuse in the book with lots of promises to return and never finishes the job. He also tries to sell you lawn and shrub care for a year as an extra package and never returns. A few of our neighbors were scammed by him in the same way. We called the Sheriffs, Seniors vs. Crime, and Better Business Bureau. He was arrested then out on bond. Florida does not have a good law to protect us against these scammers and the legal system will admit to that. He was also very well known to all of the agencies we reported to. SVCO had over 70 complaints against him when we spoke with them. He also had been in business with his brother under a different name prior to this doing the same scams. BEWARE!! After 2 1/2 mos. of looking at dirt and weeds, we hired Maintenance by Evergreen to complete our job and we were MORE than pleased. We highly recommend Luis and his employees!! We have yet to receive a dime or apology from Devin.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.