Fertilization Service Question

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2016, 08:44 AM
Default Fertilization Service Question

I am new to the Villages and learning about Florida landscape. A lot of the lawn services I talk to are pushing their shrub fertilization programs. Up North , there is not much need for this. Wondering if down south this is recommended ?
Old 06-28-2016, 07:17 PM
Gold member
Default Re: new to the villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie In The Villages View Post
I am new to the Villages and learning about Florida landscape. A lot of the lawn services I talk to are pushing their shrub fertilization programs. Up North , there is not much need for this. Wondering if down south this is recommended ?
MY SUGGESTIONS-first of all the builders landscapers left you a bunch of bushes-with no labels. First thing to do is identify what you have. The cooperative extension could probably help you from photos. Or you can do most of plant id by simply going to Home depo and finding the same plants.

These companies are pretty aggressive-like the stereotyped used car salesmen. They might try to get you to sign a year contract. I've heard of people paying for the entire year. Your bushes generally DO NOT NEED ANY FERTILIZER. You can kill them with too much fertilizer.
If, you do CHOOSE to fertilize your shrubs, they will grow faster so need more water and need to be pruned more often.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Be sure the person doing the work is licensed. They have to know the Fl laws.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:13 AM
Platinum member

You might go to lowes or HD and read the plant labels and see how often itbis recommended to fertilize your plants. It may also say what kind to use.
Closed Thread

Tags
fertilization, north, shrub, programs, south

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.