It's time to fertilize again

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2017, 09:15 PM
Default It's time to fertilize again

It's that time of the year, you can start feeding your palms again. Our new customers always ask when do we feed our palm trees? We recommend feeding them starting in March, then again in July, and then no later then the beginning of November. Lesco 8-2-12 is the best feed to use here in central Florida. It works very well for all your plantings including your grass. You can purchase this fertilizer at Site One, formerly John Deere Landscaping in Leesburg. DO NOT feed your palms later then the beginning of November as this can cause more harm then good. You do not want to force new growth to the tree later then November because any new growth coming from the crown of the tree can be damaged if we get a freeze. I noticed when I made a post last November on the 17th someone made a comment in regards to my post and corrected my dates of when to feed. I do these post periodically to help everyone that wants to learn the basics of plant care. I have been in the horticultural industry roughly 30 years. I was a wholesale grower here in central Florida for years, supplying plant material to 12 counties in this state. Including major accounts like the Theme Parks in central Florida, Weeki Wachee Springs on the west cost of Florida, Silver Springs in Ocala Florida, Albertson's distribution center in Orlando, Publix stores, Scotty's box stores in 12 counties, landscape company's, many floral shop's, and Garden Centers, major televised Golf tournaments, and major racing event's for television. Yes, maybe some people may have a different opinion when to feed your plants, but in the 30 years I have been doing this, I have NEVER seen a freeze here in this area in November. I have seen major freezes in 1985, 1989, and 2 others that were bad. But never in November in all my 30 years. Now from Ocala north that's a different story. So if someone wants to undermined my comments please do not do it on my post. Try making a new post and tell us about your horticultural backround here in central Florida, after all those are just guide lines that the University of Gainesville uses. And my recommendations are also just guide lines. I hope this will help a few people, I do this just as a common courtesy, just to help the average gardener here in The Villages. And I would also like to take this time to thank all of our customers for letting us make their landscaping dreams come true.

Last edited by Rons Landscaping; 03-06-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,009 Times in 451 Posts

Thanks, Ron.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Thanks for the reminder, Ron.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:48 AM
Veteran member

Good, sound advice that should be well-taken by everyone!
Old 03-04-2017, 12:41 PM
Gold member

Thanks for the reminder.
What is the shelf life of the Lesco 8-2-12 ?
I have a bag from last year, and wonder if it's OK to use.
Thanks
Old 03-05-2017, 04:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Thanks for the reminder.
Thanks
Call Lesco.
There should be a phone number or website on the bag.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder.
Thanks
You should be fine using it. At $50 a bag, you definitely don't want to pitch it unless you absolutely have to. This is my first time fertilizing palms. We have large Sylvesters which are 65" in diameter. Needless to say, I was shocked when I read the directions which call for 1/2 to 1 lb of fertilizer for every inch of trunk diameter. I'll be headed back to SiteOne in Monday to buy two more bags.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
You should be fine using it. At $50 a bag, you definitely don't want to pitch it unless you absolutely have to. This is my first time fertilizing palms. We have large Sylvesters which are 65" in diameter. Needless to say, I was shocked when I read the directions which call for 1/2 to 1 lb of fertilizer for every inch of trunk diameter. I'll be headed back to SiteOne in Monday to buy two more bags.
I'm not an expert, far from it, but that sounds like a LOT of fertilizer! I would have to think that if you apply too much, you could kill the tree. I'd suggest you do some more research on how much to use. Here's a link to get you started: http://sumter.ifas.ufl.edu/FFL/docum...mFactSheet.pdf
Old 03-05-2017, 10:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
I'm not an expert, far from it, but that sounds like a LOT of fertilizer! I would have to think that if you apply too much, you could kill the tree. I'd suggest you do some more research on how much to use. Here's a link to get you started: http://sumter.ifas.ufl.edu/FFL/docum...mFactSheet.pdf
It sure sounds like a lot to me as well, but the directions on the Lesco bag are 1/2 to 1lb per inch of trunk diameter.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Thank you Ron. Me and Sweetie were discussing this very thing last evening.

If you DON'T fertilize your bushes and plants, then they will be malnourished and may perish from bugs or disease.

If you DO fertilize your bushes and plants, they will grow BIG and BIGGER and BRANCH OUT practically before your eyes and you or someone has to trim them relentlessly.

No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
It sure sounds like a lot to me as well, but the directions on the Lesco bag are 1/2 to 1lb per inch of trunk diameter.
Are you sure your palm has a 65" diameter?
That would be a 5-1/2 foot thick trunk.
Sounds like you are measuring the circumference.
When I asked they said 2 cups= 1lb.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Default "Fertilizer Direct" delivers it to your door

And if you don't feel like wrestling 50 pound bags of fertilizer, just contact "Fertilizer Direct" to have them delivered for free. Cost is $50. per bag.

Fertilizer Direct
Old 03-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Are you sure your palm has a 65" diameter?
That would be a 5-1/2 foot thick trunk.
Sounds like you are measuring the circumference.
When I asked they said 2 cups= 1lb.
Thank you, NoMoSno. Clearly, math is not my strong suit!

The diameter of my two large trees is more like 20"

You'll recognize me as the guy wearing the "I'm an idiot" tee shirt.

Last edited by photo1902; 03-05-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
november, florida, feed, post, major

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.