Knockout Roses - new

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Question Knockout Roses - new

As part of my extended re-landscaping project I'm planning on using some Knockout Roses. I've heard that there is a new yellow color available this year instead of just the standard red. Has anyone here in TV tried this yet and if so can I please have some feedback? My landscape designer seems reluctant to use any color except red, clearly because she has had success with it.

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

I hadn't used 'em, but I don't see why it would be any different.
Knock Out Roses are supposed to be fabulous in all respects.

Landscapers often seem to put their personal taste into a project, which is understandable, but it's your dirt, do what you like.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thumbs up

I love Knock-out rose bushes. They are a wonderful invention. They seem to survive and bloom no matter how they're treated. And the yellow roses are lovely ... I saw them in the spring at Fairview Farms on 301.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:57 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. Barefoot, I'll give Fairview Farms a call and see if they still have some. If so, I'll stop by and take a look.

Happy growing!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:41 PM

the yellow k.o. roses are a little harder to find vs the red which may be why your landscaper is not wanting to use them the only problem I have had with the yellows is they do not seem to fill out as nicely or bloom as much.But they still look very nice and are good color
Old 09-15-2008, 07:43 PM

also other than the yellow color there is a rainbow I have only found it in tree form but they begin with a dark red bloom which changes to pinkish orange as it continues to bloom
Old 09-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

I know. I know. I am in Ohio trying to talk to people in Florida about Knockout roses. But I tend to go on about them a bit to anybody who might listen -- or read.

I went out to work in the yard very early this morning and to water and water and water. We have not had rain for a long time and that hurricane wind that decided to do a Midwest tour came through here two weeks ago and dried things out even more.

But for the record, my Knockouts do not even care. They look fine. Their leaves are dark green and perfect. They are blooming their heads off. And I have been completely neglecting them. In fact, I must confess, I did not give them any water this morning. Too many needy types around. I will have to catch the Knockouts later. But even if I don't, they will forgive me. They also like humidity, but we have not had much of that lately. Sometimes though I think we could rival Florida for humidity.

Knockouts are my kind of plant -- for all of the above reasons. There is nothing fancy or demanding about them. But if you cut their heads off once in awhile during the season, you will be rewarded with even more blooms. They will take a little rest from time to time during their long growing season, but they never rest for long. So I give 'em a break. I can cut 'em some slack. My Knockouts and I understand each other.

Sometimes you might think Knockouts look better from a distance than up close. But you know what. I do, too. So my Knockouts and I really do understand each other.

I think they are actually shrub roses. Nothing snooty about them. They are tough.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-27-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Sage
Default What are we doing wrong?

We planted an entire hedgerow of Knockouts facing south last April. We have been gone for four months and they are looking sickly. Hardly any blooms and the leaves are grayish color, and they havant grown a bit!! We thought this was the ideal bush for color and since they are so hardy they would not object to our snowflake lifestyle.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with the knockouts and if so, how can we bring them back to life? Is this normal for this season?

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Sage
Default Knockout roses

Nonie, I'm not sure you can just plant roses and leave them in the hot summer sun without water! Does your automatic sprinkler sytem water them? We planted knockout roses in April before we left for the summer, and they are doing just fine. But they are watered by our sprinklers.

I suggest you PM Mngirl for advice. She seems to be our TOTV landscaping expert.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Nonie,

I am sorry to hear about your poor Knockouts.

I wonder if maybe they never really took root.

Maybe go give them a little shake and see if they move around in their holes a lot. They should not be moving around much, if at all. That is usually a sign of not having taken root. (Wear gloves though. Thick ones. They have thorns just like their more elegant cousins.)

And at the beginning they would have needed water more often than after they are rooted and really well established. I have been pretty much ignoring mine since then. (But, of course, I am in Ohio so what do I know?) This does sound like a failure to root thing though.

You might be able to just pull them up if they are not really rooted, and you could then loosen their roots some, and loosen the dirt in their holes, and let them start again. Trimming back some of the top may help, too. And water. And maybe look into a little root stimulator. I do not know anything about those really. If you had these installed by somebody else, you might want to call them and ask. But make sure they still have enough life left in them before you work too hard.

Good luck. I wish they were not behaving so badly. I think you would really like them if they were showing off.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-27-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

Fairview Farms on highway 301 had several different colors when I was there 2 weeks ago. Good helpful place, I like them.

red, yellow, pink and a "rainbow" (starts one color, eventually turns another??)I

Just a minor word of caution, when I talked to Jim Davis at the Florida Extension Service (great guy, spent a lot of time with us) who is an unbiased expert, he says his parents have knock-out roses, and they (he) has had problems because "roses are roses".

I enjoyed landscaping and plants, but I don't claim much expertise, I tend towards easy plants.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:50 PM

Thanks to everyone for this thread! I love roses but being a northerner was unsure of what would grow in Florida. I'll be down in another week and will be sure to check out the Knockout Roses. Thanks again!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Gold member
Unhappy Not such good luck either

I have tried the roses , knockout, that is, and failed miserably. I do not know if it the soil condition or me but the plants which looked lovely and healthy 3 months ago are now shriveled and non-blooming. I generally have a green thumb but not with these guys. No evidence of pests, not over or under watered according to the recommendations. A puzzle....interestingly enough my neighbor( who's roses are flourishing) said pretty much the same as the extension service person, roses are quirky....try again. Not sure if I will or not. Maybe I will just replace them with hibiscus which I have great luck with.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:07 AM

Hi Everyone;

I haven't read this thread in a couple of days so I was pleased to see it's generated some more interest. Here's a small update --- I had my landscaper install one red Knockout Rose tree as part of the replanting in my front yard. This was one week ago. Monday (this is Wednesday) I noticed a lot of the leaves were turning yellow and I had her come by immediately. She had adjusted my sprinkler system to give all the new plants extra water and it seems the rose was getting too much as it also was being reached by the lawn sprinklers. Hence an adjustment was made and we'll see how it recovers.

Please remember when planting in TV that the top soil has been effectively removed. You will be planting in clay and need to work that into a somewhat looser, even slightly sandy mix. Otherwise, it will be like planting in a clay jar and will hold too much water.

All my other plants seem to be settling in pretty well. It helps that I selected species either native to or known to tolerate Florida conditions. Don't expect to grow northern plants that you love down here. If you have something that has special meaning to you try working with containers so you can have control over the conditions.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I'll keep you informed.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.