Landscaper Arrested

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2015, 07:34 AM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Landscaper Arrested

Those of you that haven been "taken" by a landscaper in this area might be interested in a story under CRIME on the other news website. This is not the first time the individual mentioned has appeared on the radar of law enforcement, so beware. If you also have been "taken" by the alleged landscaper, you should contact Sumter County Sherriffs Dept. as I sure there are many more stories to be heard.

And please don't ask "what website" as I cannot post that on TOTV.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The paper had a good size article, as well. It did not give the name of his company.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:51 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,309 Times in 543 Posts

Unfortunate for those that lost their money trusting this guy. However, when will we learn not to Pay until the job is finished?
Old 04-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
The paper had a good size article, as well. It did not give the name of his company.
The name doesn't matter Joyce as the unscrupulous ones go under many assumed names, none of which are licensed. And the individual that was arrested is by far not the ONLY one doing this. Buyer beware - if a company is not solvent enough to buy materials then just maybe one should not be doing business with them - much less giving $$ up front.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You are absolutely right, Susan. We would never pay in advance. I know this is detrimental to the honest little guy, and I apologize for that. Looks like the same thing we see all the time. One person gets something done (driveway, landscaping). Within days neighbors are using the same person(s).
Old 04-08-2015, 09:27 AM

How can a person find out what this individual receives for punishment? A slap one back of the hand? Prison time?

Just wondering.....
Old 04-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Default Check with SC Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyM View Post
How can a person find out what this individual receives for punishment? A slap one back of the hand? Prison time?

Just wondering.....
It would be worth a call or visit to the Sherrifs annex on 466 to express your concern. I'm sure there were many more Villagers "taken" but as the article points out "too ashamed to come forward." We need to take a stand when wronged, and then they will get time as habitual offenders.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The story was on Orlando's ABC channel 9 about 4:45 this afternoon.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Sage

For heaven's sake what name was he trading under when he was arrested? Really, we need to protect this guy?
Old 04-08-2015, 06:38 PM

You want to help a guy getting started and you always get kicked in the teeth but for some reason we still want to help.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
The story was on Orlando's ABC channel 9 about 4:45 this afternoon.
I saw the story on the Channel 9 News tonight and they gave a name and showed a photo but did not indicate if he was going under a business name. Maybe you can find out more on the Channel 9 News site.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:10 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

According to the other newspaper whose name we cannot mention on this site for some ridiculous reason, he did not have a company name but only operated as an individual doing work. His name was Devin Dodd according to the article is that other newspaper. As to his punishment, he is innocent until proven guilty BUT once proven guilty, his punishment will shown up in online court records for the Sumter County Courts. Anyone can look them up. Of course, it may be several months or even longer until the trial. Or he could "plead it down" - make a deal of some sort and plead guilty to a lessor charge. But once recorded, even that will shown up in court records.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:40 PM

Wow, I think his father was pulling the same type scams out here 10 and 20 years ago. If this guy is a 2nd generation to who I think ... he will be back.

No contractor starts a job without money up front, but anything more than 10-25 % down... watch out. Funny I got outbid by 30% on a job 15 years ago by a guy with the same last name, and red hair.... he used an alias, got 75% down and never came back. Then after I helped the home owner find out who the guy really was, they got some of their money back....used my design and had ANOTHER landscaper do the job, for 10% less... or so they thought. They got smaller palms, the wrong plants, and called me 3 years later to come fix the mess. Life is funny
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.