Landscaping ideas requested

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2015, 06:13 AM
Veteran member
Default Landscaping ideas requested

Behind our designer, we have a six-foot decorative block wall. (When standing in the house, you can still see the top third of all the neighbors homes located behind).

There is about 12 feet width of lawn lanai to wall. Looking for some good ideas, something different and beautiful to do with this focal point that is not outrageously expensive.

Thanks for any serious replies.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

A mural painted on the wall would add an interesting element. You could have your plantings tie to the theme. I don't know if this is allowed so if you are interested, I would check first.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:37 AM
Platinum member

It is not clear to me what it is you want to accomplish....

Do you want to keep the lawn that is in front of the wall? ( I am thinking about mowing access, here)
Do you want to block the 1/3rd view of the neighboring rooftops?
Do you want the eye to be drawn to NOTICE the wall? Or do you want to camouflage it?
The wall is on your property line, yes?

There is an exciting new cultivar of slow growing Italian cypress called "Tiny Tower" by Monrovia. Remains at about 10 feet tall and 2 ft. around for years.
I have not yet seen them sold here, but Lowe's is supposed to carry them soon. They are cultivated in Monrovia's Georgia nursery so they should do well here. They run about $50 each online.
They require almost no maintenance.

If you want color, there are a number of perennial flowering vines that are not expensive and are Florida friendly. I would do some online research before choosing- some vines are heavenly, some become gigantic garden thugs- some are deciduous, some have thorns, some are quite messy.

If you want a flowering shrub that is not overly dense, Oleander is one of the taller flowering shrubs and is relatively affordable. Oleander would grow tall enough to block the view of the roofs.
Camellias are lovely shrubs as well, but denser and slower growing. More expensive, too.
Of course, any planting would have to have it's need met- sun, shade, wet, dry, etc. You know, plant the right plant in the right place.

Should you want to get fancier ($$$) a fountain or waterfall is always a beautiful focal point.
We contracted for a waterfall, pond and brook designed and built by Village Palms. Quite wonderful.

Let us know what you eventually decide to do- maybe share a few pictures- we love this kind of stuff.

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 04-28-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:40 AM
Platinum member

This would be a great question to take to today's master gardener speaker session at 3pm at Eisenhower. I'm sure you'd get some good suggestions. Maybe take a photo with you.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:17 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

The only issue with a vine is that the Villages won't let you grow one on one of their walls because they can damage them. Oleander is a good suggestion however they can attract aphids which will leave you with little cocoons on your home. They also generally only flower more towards the top which leaves the rest looking just like a bunch of light brown sticks. I would recommend bottle brush trees because you can allow them to grow as tall as you'd like and they bloom often throughout the year.

If you're interested check us out on TOTV and give us a call 352-502-2880 (Tate)
Choice Maintenance
Full Landscape and Hardscape
Old 04-29-2015, 03:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think the various posts you've received are well taken. However, what you really need is a good landscaper to design a plan for you.

There is another post -- someone looking for a good reliable landscaper. I would check it out because they mention some qualified landscapers in our area.

Call three of them and ask them to give you a design within your budget. Make sure you tell them your same dollar allowance and decide whose design pleases you the most.

Good luck and please post photos when it's all done
!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:33 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice Maintenance View Post
The only issue with a vine is that the Villages won't let you grow one on one of their walls because they can damage them. Oleander is a good suggestion however they can attract aphids which will leave you with little cocoons on your home.
If I may....
Most of the flowering vines common to our zone are twining vines not suckering- they have no means to adhere to a wall on their own. In order to climb, they need to be able to wrap around their support, or be tied to it.

What The Villages does NOT approve of is attaching a TRELLIS to a block or stucco wall.
On your property, you may anchor a trellis in the ground in FRONT of the wall and train a vine on that. A free standing trellis provides for air circulation, healthy plants and ease of maintenance as well.

--------------------------

It is incorrect to say that aphids will leave little cocoons on your home. Just plain mistaken.

Aphids may feed on Oleander. They feed on other garden plants as well. A good blast of the hose usually remedies that should you notice a problem.

I believe you have confused aphids with the Polka Dot Wasp Moth. (Aphids do not make cocoons.)

The moth likes to lay eggs on the underside of lower growing Oleander leaves. The larvae (caterpillars) of this moth, upon hatching, will feed on the Oleander leaves. The caterpillars can be plucked by hand should there be a huge number of them-
I have not seen huge numbers on any plant, but I imagine it could happen... would take a lot of moths laying a lot of eggs on one plant, though.

What I HAVE seen are glorious Oleander ( in full bloom right now) all around the area. A number of my neighbors have incorporated it along wall plantings and it looks to establish and hold up quite reliably.

-----------------
Old 04-29-2015, 05:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
If I may....
Most of the flowering vines common to our zone are twining vines not suckering- they have no means to adhere to a wall on their own. In order to climb, they need to be able to wrap around their support, or be tied to it.

What The Villages does NOT approve of is attaching a TRELLIS to a block or stucco wall.
On your property, you may anchor a trellis in the ground in FRONT of the wall and train a vine on that. A free standing trellis provides for air circulation, healthy plants and ease of maintenance as well.

--------------------------

It is incorrect to say that aphids will leave little cocoons on your home. Just plain mistaken.

Aphids may feed on Oleander. They feed on other garden plants as well. A good blast of the hose usually remedies that should you notice a problem.

I believe you have confused aphids with the Polka Dot Wasp Moth. They have no relation to one another.

The moth likes to lay eggs on the underside of lower growing Oleander leaves. The larvae (caterpillars) of this moth, upon hatching, will feed on the Oleander leaves. The caterpillars can be plucked by hand should there be a huge number of them-
I have not seen huge numbers on any plant, but I imagine it could happen... would take a lot of moths laying a lot of eggs on one plant, though.

What I HAVE seen are glorious Oleander ( in full bloom right now) all around the area. A number of my neighbors have incorporated it along wall plantings and it looks to establish and hold up quite reliably.
-----------------
People should be aware that oleanders are poisonous. Years ago people died because they used oleander limbs as skewers when roasting marshmellows over a campfire.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We have the same wall behind our designer, and I love the privacy. We don't even see the houses on the other side anymore. But here is what Jamie's landscaping helped us design to go along the wall. It doesn't cover the houses, but we find it very pleasant to look at, both from the lanai and the living area inside.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	50883   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	50884   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	50885   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	wall4.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	50886  
Old 04-29-2015, 02:19 PM
Platinum member

Nice variety and design!
Old 04-29-2015, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We have the same wall behind our designer, and I love the privacy. We don't even see the houses on the other side anymore. But here is what Jamie's landscaping helped us design to go along the wall. It doesn't cover the houses, but we find it very pleasant to look at, both from the lanai and the living area inside.
That is just beautiful, C.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
Nice variety and design!
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That is just beautiful, C.
Thanks!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:21 AM
Sage

If that wall is behind your house, keep in mind that there is a utility easement there for phone, cable and power lines. Should lines need to be added or replaced or even serviced, you may find yourself with a trench through your plantings. Read your deed restrictions regarding this area, and contact Community Standards with any Questions.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
If that wall is behind your house, keep in mind that there is a utility easement there for phone, cable and power lines. Should lines need to be added or replaced or even serviced, you may find yourself with a trench through your plantings. Read your deed restrictions regarding this area, and contact Community Standards with any Questions.
Our job was ARC approved. Utility lines are at the side of the plantings and do not run across the back of the house.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.