Lawn and landscape care required from November to mid-January

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2008, 02:16 AM
Gold member
Default Lawn and landscape care required from November to mid-January

We will be closing on our house at the end of October. We will be down for a week or so for the closing but then not be back until January. The question I have is what needs to be arranged for during our absence. I assume the grass will need cutting, but will we need to have someone weed the shrubs for these 2 1/2 months or will they be OK? Is there anything else that we need to arrange for someone to take care of? Perhaps the sprinkler system?
Old 09-06-2008, 02:56 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Lawn and landscape care required from November to mid-January

Lawnmower franchises mow every other week during the winter months at the same price as every week in summer months. It averages out. The weeds and shrubs should be dormant between November and February. You should be set up to water once a week - 30-45 minutes on the rotating heads and 15-20 minutes on the stationary heads.

The Manual they give you tells you about heating/A/C settings when you are gone and you turn the water off in the house. Some people put plastic over the toilets to keep the gasses out. Others run the fans to keep the moisture down.

Hope this helps.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:35 AM
Gold member

Yes, it does help. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:54 PM

I would recommend you check in to the Empty Nest program which is part of The Villages Property Management group. I was away from my home in Amelia for 6 months while selling my house up north. I was very impressed with their service. A real, live, honest to goodness person (not a drive-by and wave) stopped by once a week to check on the condition of everything. Then they sent me an email about anything they thought I should be aware of. Also, once a month I received a written summary report of each visit. If you want to send down some packages prior to your arrival (linens, new purchases, etc.) they will deliver these to your home as part of the service. If you have furniture delivered or want contractors let in this too will be taken care of.

It's not free but I felt really relieved to know someone was watching after my new property in my absence.

Good luck.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

df, there are many services that do what Empty Nest does at a lot less cost. To me, $3.25/day (their present rate) is a ridiculous amount to pay for checking a house once a week.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I've used Preen in the beds (as suggested elsewhere here) and my weeds are minimal.
I'm pleased with it after 60 days (supposed to last 90). Now there is a weed or 2, but not all over the yard. Mostly at the plant base where I didn't get the Preen in close.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Default weeds and trimming

My daughter, who is an advertiser on this site, pulls weeds and trims bushes. She has several "snowbirds" that she works for on a regular basis - keeping their weeds in check and the bushes trimmed. Feel free to call her at 352-259-4601. Her name is Stacey.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.