Lawn Service

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
Superior fertilizes and treats for pests and weeds. We've had them for 3 years and have the nicest lawn on the street. We also have a great lawn guy who mows once or twice a week during the growing season, depending on what it needs.
I thought Superior was a full-service company.
Do you have Superior mow your lawn, or do you have a separate lawn mowing guy?
Old 05-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdodge View Post
masset is the best
Quote:
Originally Posted by strike7476 View Post
Don't go with Massey, tried them twice and fired them twice, killed my wife's flowers numerous times.
The one sure thing about lawn companies is that you will always get people who love them and others who have fired them.
Why do opinions differ so widely? Does it depend on expectation levels? I truly don't know.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:18 PM

Opinions differ because people are all different. Same company might have 3,4 or 10 crews and change employees like underwear.

Sometimes I wake in an ill mood, and I like telling the lawn guys what a crappy job they do and firing them. I need to stop doing that though because I WAS getting my lawn mowed for 40 a month, then 55.. and now it is costing me 70. Anyone know a really good lawn guy that's cheap?

The guys that were doing it for 40 cut my siding with the weed eater, but I didn't find it till after I fired them. So I just waited a couple weeks and called the owner of the new company and told him they did it and they better fix it. They did. Probably cost half what I paid him for the year and 10x what he was going to make off me that year.

NO, this wasn't me. but YES, these are true stories in TV.

Most lawn people are trying to scrounge out a living in the highly competitive Villages mowing world.. where stellar ran around undercutting everyone the last 3 years, till they went under because they didn't charge enough. What? 5 bucks more a month to pull weeds? 10 bucks to trim my hedges? No they aren't rocket scientists.. or gardeners. They just want the extra 50 bucks for the year and don't realize it will take another 10 hours at your house to keep up the trimming, 30 or 40 for weeding...

Not sure who to feel sorry for, the home owners getting their lawns scalped, siding broken, badly pruned hedges with the leaves left under them OH NO THERES A WEEEED! ... OR.... for the underpaid overworked broke living at his mom's house guy getting yelled at by the grumpy retiree for..... the weed he missed, siding the last guy broke, fungus he is spreading in the grass he doesn't cut right.

And I really am looking for a new lawn guy who is cheaper than the one have now.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:39 PM

Can you tell me name of the person who cuts your lawn and his number?

Thank you!
Old 05-23-2015, 01:52 PM

Does anyone have a good lawn mowing service that you pay once a month for lawn mowing with a push mower. No other services required>
peters81712@comcast.net
Old 07-01-2015, 04:54 PM

Are you still happy with the perfect Mow?
Old 07-01-2015, 06:18 PM
Veteran member

we use fertigator, the best.do it all !!!!!
Old 07-02-2015, 05:50 AM
Sage

The biggest problem with all of the lawn people is that they don't have employees. They have independent contractors that get paid by the job, have no benefits, no worker's comp if they are injured at work, no taxes taken out of their weekly checks, and can't collect unemployment if they are let go. Some contractors will show you an exemption certificate for worker's comp, nice for the contractor, but it does not protect the homeowner or the worker if there is an injury on the job. Lets face it. You don't have to be the brightest bulb to push a lawnmower, and it doesn't cost the contractor a dime to change people like he changes his socks. Until the laborers demand to be classified correctly, as employees, we will continue to deal with all of the current problems.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:06 PM

We finally found a great company to take care of our lawn, Heron Lawn & Pest Control. If you contact them ask for Howard the sales representative. Everyday someone is complimenting us on our lawn. Very plush and a beautiful green. Our plants have new life. Shop around and then call Heron Lawn and Pest Control. Janet

2114 S. Orange Blossom Trail, Apopka, FL 32703 | 1-800-81-Heron | MyHeronHome.com

Last edited by Janet & Carl; 07-02-2015 at 10:10 PM. Reason: forgot phone #
Old 07-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet & Carl View Post
We finally found a great company to take care of our lawn, Heron Lawn & Pest Control.
J & C: How long have you been using Heron? Are they new in The Villages? Thanks.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:50 PM
Platinum member
Default Contractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
The biggest problem with all of the lawn people is that they don't have employees. They have independent contractors that get paid by the job, have no benefits, no worker's comp if they are injured at work, no taxes taken out of their weekly checks, and can't collect unemployment if they are let go. Some contractors will show you an exemption certificate for worker's comp, nice for the contractor, but it does not protect the homeowner or the worker if there is an injury on the job. Lets face it. You don't have to be the brightest bulb to push a lawnmower, and it doesn't cost the contractor a dime to change people like he changes his socks. Until the laborers demand to be classified correctly, as employees, we will continue to deal with all of the current problems.
The state has been going after pest control companies for years that have employees classified as private contractors. Maybe it is time to focus on the lawn companies also.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Platinum member

Just a bit of info. Asulux was the best chemical spray for crab grass but the state restricted it to commercial turf areas, no residential a few years ago. Lawn companies are really limited by the state and epa on how they treat problem areas.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.