Millipede Invasion

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2016, 06:50 PM
Default Millipede Invasion

Any suggestions on how to get rid of millipedes. They are all over the concrete and getting in the house. Have tried Two different sprays from Home Depot and neighbors have tried Deans and nothing phases them.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Call the bug people. Dean or Massey. You need bug people here in Florida.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:20 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Massey told me they are difficult to kill and that they eventually will disappear; albeit they always make the effort to exterminate. its the third time in 10 years that this has been a problem
Old 10-18-2016, 09:48 AM
Dancing Thyme

Here's a website I found. Hope it helps

How to Get Rid of Millipedes (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 10-18-2016, 10:41 AM

I have been very frustrated with efforts to remove the millipedes. My pest professional (Deans) has been most cooperative and treated three times within three weeks, so I have to believe them when they say it's very difficult to permanently rid the place of them. They can kill off the existing millipedes, no problem. However, they are "migratory pests" and a new wave of them will be seen within a few days. The good news is that they only follow select routes for their migration and that accounts for why some residents see them and others do not. Also, their migratory routine is "several"weeks (typically 4-6 ), twice a year. So, they're easy to kill but impossible to prevent the next wave of them. I have noticed that we may near the end of their late summer cycle now and see very few this week. The count is down from hundreds to only 5-10 typically in front of the garage door now. They do yield a very satisfying "crunch" when stepped on, which leads to what one neighbor refers to as doing "the driveway dance". Bottom line is that we should not blame the pest control services, and just consider it another part of life in Florida. -- And I doubt if we can blame the "developers" for this little imperfection in this great little piece of the world.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamwalkin View Post
Any suggestions on how to get rid of millipedes. They are all over the concrete and getting in the house. Have tried Two different sprays from Home Depot and neighbors have tried Deans and nothing phases them.
Here is your solution: Go to Home Depot...enter through the garden section...take a left past the check-out, then head toward the main entrance.

Now just before you enter the main store on your left there on display is a product called..." Black Flag " ...get 2-3 bottles..hook up to your hose...and " Bombs Away ". That will get rid of them. It will be kinda like carpet bombing. You will win.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:49 PM
Default Millepedes

Thank you to all for taking the time to answer the question about getting rid of millepedes.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:47 PM

The Universities consider them a benificial insect.. (eats dead vegitation) they need moisture to live and will quickly die in your home and turn to
dust upon picking up when dead. They do not carry any disease, do not bite and they have no natural enemies as anoles or birds... they just smell
even to them. There are a number of chemicals that will kill them but as I said the Universities consider them a good pests.. They are mostly nocturnal
and will all of a sudden one day disappear for another year into the soil and beds. Act much like Love Bugs (flies) here today gone tomorrow.
At one time in Maryland they were so bad I actually killed them with a strong insect kill and had to gather them up with a flat shovel there were so
many.. Yes, some years there will be none and some years thousands.. Part of the pest and insect world I suppose.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:11 AM
Gold member

I use those flat sticker boards,( purchased at Home Depot) and place them in different spots in garage, and I catch a lot of them, along with other bugs (Including small snakes, spiders etc). They are called Household Pest Glue Boards. Made by Real Kill. Wait till you see how many different bugs you catch that you didn't know were in your garage. Word of caution: If you have pets, be sure you don't put them out where they can get to them, because they will stick to their face.
Closed Thread

Tags
house, sprays, phases, deans, neighbors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.