Pavers reasonable price?

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2016, 03:15 PM
Sage
Default Pavers reasonable price?

Help me out guys. I have an estimate of $6000 to do 1 inch pavers on a two car driveway. Is that reasonable?
Old 09-13-2016, 03:39 PM
Sage

Don't know but I would get another estimate or two.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 09-13-2016, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

In order to have an idea the square footage is important and how much are they excavating and what material are they using for the base. There are many thicknesses of pavers. No matter what anyone says the thickest paver almost insures that the job will only need to be done once. 2 3/8" is the depth of the paver that will serve you best. Cheap out on the skinny ones today and be ready for a nightmare one day. There are so many things that have to go correctly to get a good job. Use someone reputable and no money up front ever.....NEVER.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:41 PM
Sage

Essentially what you are going to find is that pavers are either 30 mm or 60 mm thick and they probably come from Flagstone. There is a small cost difference between the 30 mm and 60 mm but there is more labor to install the 60 mm. Typically, the concrete will be removed in front of your garage to install 60 mm pavers but not 30 mm pavers. Typically, both require concrete to be removed by the street. I have seen jobs with 30 mm pavers that looked pretty good. If you talk to Flagstone, they will tell you they don't recommend 30 mm pavers for driveways. The 60 mm pavers are less likely to crack but that doesn't mean a well done job with 30 mm pavers can't turn out perfectly well. I recommend you get a couple of estimates and look at their work. Good luck with your project - I think pavers look great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Help me out guys. I have an estimate of $6000 to do 1 inch pavers on a two car driveway. Is that reasonable?
Old 09-13-2016, 05:34 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Check out Georgies Flooring in Brooksville. They did a beautiful fire pit and sitting area and walkway for us and were very reasonable and reliable.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

I had done some research on this, and the makers of the pavers do NOT recommend anything less then around 3 inches for driveways. As pointed out above I think you are going to have a real headache with the thin pavers. My neighbor wishes he have NEVER had these installed. After this research, we had our driveway painted in a design that looks like cobble stone. No maintenance for 5 to 6 years, then a clear coating. The painting is about $2 per square foot and was much less then pavers, and avoids the maintenance required for the pavers over the same period of time.

Please search this site for additional info.
Just MHO, hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:17 PM
Sage

Not exactly true. 60 mm pavers are 2.4 inches and are fine for driveways based on a conversation with Flagstone, a supplier for this area. The thin pavers (30 mm) are 1.2 inches and may have issues but I have seen numerous installations that look fine. I have 60 mm pavers and they look great. Typical maintenance is a resanding and sealing every few of years, which I can do myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I had done some research on this, and the makers of the pavers do NOT recommend anything less then around 3 inches for driveways. As pointed out above I think you are going to have a real headache with the thin pavers. My neighbor wishes he have NEVER had these installed. After this research, we had our driveway painted in a design that looks like cobble stone. No maintenance for 5 to 6 years, then a clear coating. The painting is about $2 per square foot and was much less then pavers, and avoids the maintenance required for the pavers over the same period of time.

Please search this site for additional info.
Just MHO, hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:33 PM
Sage

Wow, great comments and I am stepping back from a decision. Hoping for help also on the price?
Old 09-13-2016, 11:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Wow, great comments and I am stepping back from a decision. Hoping for help also on the price?
Need to know the size of the driveway and the prep work. Do they need to remove a driveway? What is the full story? If you were family I would tell you bluntly to run away from a contractor who would propose 1" pacers. That is for a walkway no vehicular traffic.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:48 AM
Sage

Kitty, if the 1.2" pavers are laid correctly they last a long time.

I have seen bad jobs too.

After the job is done have them leave 25 extra for replacements.

Your drive I guess is 1,000 sq ft, figure the materiel cost $1.50-$2 a sq ft.

Labor 2 days 2 men, my guess is $3500-$4500

Do you need the thicker pavers NO, the reason folks have trouble is the installers don't put a layer of thin sand over the concrete leaving voids or spaces under the paver, sure they can crack.

But done right they don't crack.

lastly a Polymetric sand must be brushed across the finished pavers lightly sprayed with water this sand works in the groves to like concrete to keep them together and reduce water infiltration.

Painting has issues, if not done right it's like walking on ice when wet.

It needs touch up, and on your home it may not do it justice.

Just doesn't look as good as pavers.

Another choice not used much here but all over the US is concrete staining that can look great at about $1 a sq ft

Old 09-14-2016, 06:21 AM
Sage

60 mm pavers may run you about $1000 more, your mileage may vary, than 30 mm pavers. The 60 mm pavers are a little bit more money and additional labor is required to cut the concrete in front of your garage to change the slope of the driveway as it approaches the garage. You should get multiple estimates and check out their work.

The guys who install only or mostly thin 30 mm pavers, will tell you they are fine. The guys who install only or mostly 60 mm pavers, will tell you they are the only way to go. For the relatively small incremental amount of money, I went with 60 mm pavers.

Quote:
Old 09-14-2016, 08:01 AM
Gold member

Be sure they leave you plenty of extras, for future repair/replacements.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:28 AM
Gold member

ever thought of Behr Granite Grip concrete finish? We just widened our drive and were going to use pavers but after all the issues we have discovered with putting them onto pavement, we decided to try this.

Looks good in the brochures.....we will see...
Old 09-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
ever thought of Behr Granite Grip concrete finish? We just widened our drive and were going to use pavers but after all the issues we have discovered with putting them onto pavement, we decided to try this.

Looks good in the brochures.....we will see...
Just looked at this product online. It says:

Where Not to Use
DO NOT use on vertical surfaces or areas subject to hydrostatic pressure. NOT for industrial use or areas subject to forklifts. Do not use on drivable surfaces such as garage floors and driveways.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Also, there was a thread on the Nextdoor site, where people had pavers installed and then had water in the garage. It appears the installed did NOT cut down the concrete at the garage, and during hard rains the water went in the garage. Also the concrete needs to be cut down at the street to match the height of the street to the new height of the driveway. From what my neighbor has told be the thin layer of sand that is installed under the pavers can washout over time, and then you are a risk of breakage. He has had this happen, and he did use and has replaced the polymeteric sand as required.

The driveway painting needs to include a product called 'shark grip' which will provide a non-skid surface, I have this on the driveway, the lanai/birdcage, and the garage.
Hope this helps.

Tags
reasonable, pavers, inch, driveway, car

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.