Photos of consequences of "no staking" policy

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2008, 12:10 AM
Veteran member
Default Photos of consequences of "no staking" policy

Here are some images of the "staking job" of an area landscaper.

This first image is of their second attempt at staking two weeks prior to the photo being taken:

The Villages Florida

Here are two trees they installed, and the results of their staking job after two attempts... The rope on the ground and 2x2 is the beginning of my re-do work that I shouldn't have to do.
The Villages Florida

Here is a tree they installed that they staked with STRING...
The Villages Florida

...and a close-up
The Villages Florida

Unfortunately, before I realized that their "no staking policy" was just a cheap way around their "get paid" policy, I referred them to a couple down the street. Now I'm trying to make up for it. We should have known better than to be advised that "you don't have to stake your trees." Or "staking is not good for them" as we were advised. Every landscaping book on the planet devotes the first several pages on how to plant trees. They all advise to stake securely on three sides using a wide material or other protective device that will not cut into the tree.

Why are people our age, who should know better based on our years of knowledge and life experiences, so gullble when an "expert" tells us something we really know is not true?
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 08-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Sage
Default Re: Beware C & E Landscaping - Photos of consequences of "no staking" policy

Wow. That is really lame.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Sage
Default Re: Beware C & E Landscaping - Photos of consequences of "no staking" policy

ouch, GF, pretty poor job of staking I'd say.

Hate to see what they look like after tonight's rain and wind.

In your next phone message let them know you've posted pictures on a TV website with over 5,000 members. Maybe that will get their attention.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Veteran member
Default Consequences of "no staking" policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07
Hate to see what they look like after tonight's rain and wind.
I was able to perform a minimalist staking job with 2x2s and rope a few minutes before the storm bagan this evening (when I took the photos). But still 10 times better than what they did.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 08-14-2008, 01:26 AM
Dancing Thyme

"Why are people our age, who should know better, so gullble when a 20 something "expert" tells us something we really know is not true?"

GF, was she at least good looking???? Then I can understand it, otherwise, DUH!!

I sure won't use them when I need work done that's for sure. Thanks for the heads-up. As 07 says, let them know you posted it on TOTV and they've already lost another "gullible" customer!!

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 08-14-2008, 02:08 AM
Veteran member

My wife and I both liked her.* She was impressive for a girl her age.* An excellent and enthusiastic salesperson, a good valued product/service, but in need of improved knowledge or policies related to landscape installation, better oversite of workers (quality control), and improved customer service, specifically, followup communications with customers.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

You have quite a foundation GF. It looks almost as if you had a basement.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:19 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci
My wife and I both liked her. She was impressive for a girl her age. Apparently an excellent salesperson without good managerial, customer service and followup skills.
Sounds like my real estate person here in LA. Boy am I gonna tell him off when this is all done.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

Old 08-14-2008, 02:24 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl
You have quite a foundation GF. It looks almost as if you had a basement.
Gracie....I was thinking the very same when I saw the pics with a good-sized footing.

gfmucci....Sooooo sorry about your misfortune to have hit on a bad choice. Hope you didn't pay in full and at least have that leverage.

If they do mowing, I think that I may have had them and fired them when they cut into my siding and took a year to repair it. If the owner's name is Carlos, then it IS the very same that I fired, and so did my neighbor.

One must be sooo careful who you contract work with as there are so many unethical and uncaring who ruin it for the honest ones. Best choice is by word if mouth of a satisfied customer.

Very important advice to really take seriously.....NEVER pay in advance for services. If they insist on a partial payment, look elsewhere. From one who's been there and learned the hard way.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 08-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Gold member

Thank you, Jessica, for using this forum to give your side of the story. My concern regarding your customer service policy rests in your very own words when you wrote:

"* the reason i did not go and restake his trees is because of the fact that he was speaking badley of me before i was even suppose to be there to fix the situation"

I take this to mean that should ANY client speak to a neighbor or friend about be dissatisfied you will NOT revisit to correct the situation. Perhaps Mr. Mucci was wrong to take his complaints to the public before speaking with you first; but, although he did do that, is that a reason for not trying to reach a compromise with him? Seems to be a very stern policy touching, actually, on vengeance. I don't know the man but I do know that when I contract with a business it's nice to know that they will stand behind their work should that be necessary. As the saying says, "It's not personal, it's business!"
Old 08-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Dancing Thyme

TK, Very good post and advice.

Jessica, listen to TK, its very good advice. I think it was very professional of you to post your side of the story, which is a good sign... but, I would consider this a very good learning experience in your new business. There's always room to learn and that will make you a better business person for the future. Sounds like you're very industrious and should be able to build a very reputable business for yourself. Just be sure to listen to us "old" folks, we've been there done that.

Good Luck to you. KathieI

Old 08-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candelandscape

* the reason i did not go and restake his trees is because of the fact that he was speaking badley of me before i was even suppose to be there to fix the situation
I called the company about the leaning trees several times over a 10-day period before I named C & E Landscape on this forum. In fact, I recommended them to a neighbor before I realized I had a problem with the absence of support of the trees. Now that neighbor is having a similar problem with a leaning tree and lack of support of a tree planted by them a couple of weeks ago. In fact, she had an appointment with this firm this morning and they did not show. Some contractors may use the rainstorm that occurred after 9:30 AM this morning as a reason to cancel. Personally, I had two other service companies show up to my home prior to 9 AM this morning who completed their work.

I was still willing to work with this company while they were willing to be responsive to requests to address the problem. They made two attempts to stake severely leaning trees they planted. You see the results above. Only after these two sub-standard attempts did I begin to express problems to others which is certainly anyone's right and neighborly obligation to do.

This morning my wife received a phone call from a principal of the firm threatening to sue me for slander. During this call she was extremely hostile. After she cursed at my wife, my wife hung up, shaking.

I have only described specific problems pertaining to the work performed by this firm in the absence of follow-up as promised. While I understand the fact that the contract does not specify "staking", I need to note two important facts:

1) The salesperson/principal told my wife and I before we signed the contract that if the trees need staking, get blown over, start to lean (words to that effect), she will make it right.

2) Most reputable landscaping books (I own several) and landscaping firms state that trees should be staked on three sides when planted.

3) Bottlebrush trees are specifically recommended by experts to be staked for the first one to three years after planting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkret
Perhaps Mr. Mucci was wrong to take his complaints to the public before speaking with you first; but, although he did do that, is that a reason for not trying to reach a compromise with him?
I did not take my complaints public before speaking with the firm. As described above, I spoke with them as follows:

Call 1. Initially to informed them of a couple of leaning trees.
A man came out and did a dismal job of staking - one tree - several days later. It was leaning again just as severely the next day.

Call 2. I called again. This time, several days later, a man came out and staked three trees, one stake each, and one tree with string. See photos, above. The result of this staking job, 10 to 14 days later, is shown in the photos.

Calls 3., 4., 5., and 6. During the early part of this 10 to 14 day period I phoned them several more times, leaving a request to call me, with my phone number and the reasons for my call. We played phone tag the first two calls. After the last voice mail from the firm I called at least two more times over a three day period without receiving any return call. It was after this that it became apparent that they were not going to properly address my problem. Only then did I decided to post the name of the firm.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:15 PM

Mr. MUcci just previosly stated we played phone tag i did return his calls. I tryed to fix the situation his complaints on this website began 11 days after his landscape was complete. I was at his house 6 days before they began on here to move a oak tree over a few feet and told him my guys would be there the following week the complaints started before WE ever showed up to fix the situation and my guys still went there to try to fix it after I read these complaints. The only reason I am speaking about these complaints I have known about for a month is because I do not like being labeled a crook and I do not like slander.
this will be my last post on this website
thank you for all that read and to any of those that look at both sides of the story
Old 08-15-2008, 01:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

C&E
I dont know much about the Landscape business but I think I know somethihng about customer relations in running a business and you are going about this the wrong way.

There are always two sides to each story..glad to hear yours, but who has the most to lose here. There is no doubt that trees are leaning and that your staff used poor or improper material to stake the trees even after the issue was brought to someone attention. I may use string to stake a tree but I have no idea what I am doing ..string simply would not meet the comon sense test of what was right especially for a professional landscaper.

OK so this problem just got to your desk today.......you may want to find out why it took so long for you to find out ..but now that you know, the answer is simple.... FIX IT and fix it fast to minimize further problems especially if as you say this home is in a new area and you are trying to get new business! HOw much work could it involve to straigthen and stake some trees!!! Regardless of the "great deal" you gave this customer, if it did not meet the expected standards of the area plus it simply looks BAD....I mean look at the pictures, you have to make it good if you want to stay in business. I cannot believe newly planted trees did not have to be properly staked considering the wind we get here in TV regardless of what your contract states. BTW I hope you took your signs down advertising the work you did on this property.....not something someone would be proud of.

As of now, I know there are alot of landscaping companies out there, and I personally don't need one to agrue with regardless of who is right or wrong....takes up my pickelball/golf time!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:48 AM
Sage

A picture is worth a thousand words. I think Caroline has offered you some excellent advice.
I can't believe you posted this statement "I never cursed at your wife I told her I will sue you for slader because you are lying about my company "
You can't say anything else here that would change my mind about your company. You threatened to sue the man????? It would have been so much easier just to "eat" the cost of staking and move on with good feelings intact.
There is also a spell check button at the bottom of the page.
BTW, I have never met Mr. Mucci.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.