Pracitces of Landscapers: Depth of mulch and staking of trees

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2008, 03:00 AM
Veteran member
Default Pracitces of Landscapers: Depth of mulch and staking of trees

Mulch:*

When landscapers say they will provide 3" of mulch (rock or organic) please check carefully and hold them to it.* My recent experience indicates that the depth of mulch is closer to 1 inch, not three.* With just one inch, there is just one "layer" of mulch material before you see the weed barrier.* With pine bark chips, the slightest rain creates bare spots.* I have requested a correction and will advise the results in the next week - and reveal the name of the company if not corrected.

Staking of trees:*

My landscaper initially refused to stake the trees she installed.* After noting that one tree was at a 45 degree angle, and after a couple of phone calls, she arranged to have 3 of my trees staked.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 07-21-2008, 01:04 AM
Gold member
Default Re: "Depth of Mulch" promised by landscapers

Hi, I accidentally deleted an email I received. The question was about the Lawn and Garden service that we have.

We do not have a contract with her for any of the services she does. When we are in TV we do, what she normally does.

There are no annual contracts for weeding - cost is $10 per month

Pest control is $20 per month

Pruning, trimming and clean up is billed at $40 per hour, but you are charged in 15 minute increments.

Fertilizer application is based on actual quantities used.

They all sell trees and plants. I found the cost of there plants lower than in some of the nurseries I visited while in TV.

Fernview Farm - Sandra and James Harrison
352 245 7905 email fernviewnursery@aol.com

i think she has been invited to speak this November at the Garden Clubs - one in Hacienda Center.

Hope this helps.

HB
Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Veteran member
Default Landscaper Practices - depth of mulch and staking of trees

This particular landscaper has responded as follows for the problems as indicated:

Depth of mulch:* No response.* The afternoon showers continue to wash the mulch onto the driveway creating exposed areas of weed barrier.

Staking of trees:* Staked three of the 8 trees with one stake each.* Used string on one tree.* Staking should be accomplished with a minimum of two stakes per tree, using a fastening cord that will not injure the tree - either a strap-like material, or rope with a portion of rubber hose protecting the tree.* Certainly not "string!"

Please e-mail me if you would like to know which landscaper to avoid.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 07-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Pracitces of Landscapers: Depth of mulch and staking of trees

Please post the name of the landscaper you used.

In the past I have posted the landscaper I use who has done an excellent job for us, so I do not think it will be a problem.

Thanks,

HB
Old 08-01-2008, 01:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

gfmucci, tried to email but it was returned. Please let us know the name of the landscaper. I am currently looking into landscapers and had a particular woman in mind. Thanks

Old 08-01-2008, 01:43 AM

Before you hire any landscaper, call L.W.V Landscape and talk with Lisa or Tammy. Cell -353-636-8850 or office 352-753-4451.

They did a great job for us and are heartily recommended. Took our ideas and expanded on them; did everything we asked and more. They are magicians with Queen Palms. We couldn't be more pleased.

Going back to another thread, they prefer rock (seminole stone) and their rock prices are competitive with mulch. Look around Mallory and Hadley and their work will stand out.

Best bang for the buck that you'll find in The Villages.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.