Pruning, not butchering

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2016, 02:11 PM
Veteran member
Default Pruning, not butchering

Looking for a skilled person to do some light shrub pruning around my Gardenia. Not a big job, but DO NOT WANT someone to just come over with a power hedge clipper and do a horizontal amputation into square shapes (which will eventually kill your shrubs). Looking for a more "natural", controlled appearance. Does anyone know of someone that uses true pruning skills rather than a fast haircut?
Old 07-29-2016, 04:05 PM
Sage

I would like to know, too. I do think that pruning is very time-consuming, therefore, expensive. That's why they descend on the shrubs with their electric clippers so they can get in and out in a hurry.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

Probably more expensive, yes, but would be worth it in the long run if you could find a person that could do it. Otherwise, the shrubs quickly get to a point beyond hope and need to be replaced (at a much larger expense). We went to one of those landscape seminars a few months ago and the speaker showed photos of bad "geometrical" pruning in The Villages. The audience gasped at each one. Plenty of examples of ugly hedge-clipper "pruning" all around here. I'd certainly be willing to pay more for a job done right. We would do it ourselves, but we are not yet year-round residents.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:28 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

highly recommend Rupert Cross (you can find his phone number by searching here). He and his crew actually trim and shape, not just whack off branches.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-30-2016, 01:13 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Looking for a skilled person to do some light shrub pruning around my Gardenia. Not a big job, but DO NOT WANT someone to just come over with a power hedge clipper and do a horizontal amputation into square shapes (which will eventually kill your shrubs). Looking for a more "natural", controlled appearance. Does anyone know of someone that uses true pruning skills rather than a fast haircut?
Dear UpNorth: for what it worth when we first moved here my better half reprimanded me because I wanted to use hedge clippers and not prune our shrubs as we did Up North. Well it took almost three years when she finally realized that Florida has a 12 month growing season which has prompted her laments of "clip those suckers bare" and we have them cut low and shaped them and they keeping growing and growing and growing and ..........
Old 07-30-2016, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Our shrubbery was overgrown and had not been cared for in over six months. We tried a shape up but it didn't work out too well. I am not a fan of ripping out plants at all but these were out of proportion size wise and there were too many for the size of the property. Pulling out of the driveway was a mission because ot the size of these babies. I love the look of the various grass plants that are available in Florida and am thinking towards a more maintenance free future. We will see what the landscaping future holds. It's fun to plan well and then execute. The correct amount of low voltage lighting is important. Some homes have so many lights you would swear they were trying to land an airplane there. Proportion is the key to landscaping success. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:01 AM
Gold member
Default I think you need to do it yourself

Quote:
Realize that a pro needs to do things quick and dramatic.
The reason, of course is that people will object to the light pruning you want as most people do not see the value.

For a light pruning, get some quality pruning sheers and lopping shears. If, you already have the tools, be sure you know how to properly sharpen them. A dull tool makes bad cuts and is far more work to use. Oh and spray your tools with alcohol often to prevent spreading disease.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Dear UpNorth: for what it worth when we first moved here my better half reprimanded me because I wanted to use hedge clippers and not prune our shrubs as we did Up North. Well it took almost three years when she finally realized that Florida has a 12 month growing season which has prompted her laments of "clip those suckers bare" and we have them cut low and shaped them and they keeping growing and growing and growing and ..........
Listen to this man.

It is like a bad hair cut...It will be fine in a couple of weeks. Things grow fast here and a bad trim on bushes is forgotten in a month when they need it again. We do our own. A little at a time. Hot work in July, I can tell you.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:30 PM
Veteran member

We go out early, about 6 and work for an hour, it is easy and worthwhile to do them on your own. Take a brown tall bag along and use it for the clippings, do not worry if they do not all get done in a day or so, they are known be patient, they will wait for you to come back, faithfully.

bbbbbb
Old 08-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
For a light pruning, get some quality pruning sheers and lopping shears.
Quote:
We would do it ourselves, but we are not yet year-round residents.
Susie, your recommendation that home owners handle clipping themselves is a good one.
Unfortunately, shrubs grow a lot during the summer, a time when many seasonal residents are up north.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:07 AM
Veteran member

Go to Lady Lake website and look at the Registered ones
Old 08-08-2016, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I have concluded that far too much pruning is done in TV to facilitate a livilhood of those who prune.

I offer as proof the plantings of pampas grass and crepe myrtles in interstate medians.

They are healthy, bursting with flowering and plumes and nobody ever prunes anything from them.

I only prune the plants that will take over house and home if you do not!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
pruning, shrubs, natural, controlled, eventually

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.