Removal of what i believe is a Canary Island palm

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2016, 11:12 AM
Default Removal of what i believe is a Canary Island palm

We have what i believe is a Canary Palm that is way too close to the house. The tree one of those that resemble a giant pineapple. IT is taller than the house and very (too) healthy. We have to do significant prunings multiple times a year to keep it off of the house.

IS there a way to transplant this? Someone would love it I am sure before we take to the chainsaws on this beauty???
Old 09-28-2016, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,119 Times in 2,237 Posts

65Stang,
There are some restrictions about removing trees, and I am note sure if it covers large healthy palms. I would suggest calling ARC, here is the link,
VCDD Architectural Review and the phone number
Community Standards Phone: 352-751-3912.

Better safe then sorry, there can be a significant fine if a tree is removed without permission.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65stang View Post
IS there a way to transplant this? Someone would love it I am sure before we take to the chainsaws on this beauty???
I've heard that some Nurseries will remove your palm for free because they can then sell it as a mature tree.
I applaud your desire to recycle; your palm sounds awfully large though.
If I were you, I'd call and ask the question to Fairview Farms, Terrascape, and Villages Palms.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65stang View Post
We have what i believe is a Canary Palm that is way too close to the house. The tree one of those that resemble a giant pineapple. IT is taller than the house and very (too) healthy. We have to do significant prunings multiple times a year to keep it off of the house.

I had a Canary Palm trasplanted that was becoming a problem because of its expanding canopy. It wasn't as large as yours and was quite an undertaking. Preparing it for the transplant entailed extensive ground preparation. After it was moved it didn't grow for two or three years but remained healthy. Used S. McGowan and was very happy with their service.

A Canary as large as yours may be too problematic to move but who knows? Good luck.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:40 AM

Thanks, will check but the neighbors seem to think this is "ornamental"
Old 09-30-2016, 06:42 AM

Thanks, will give them a call. Hate to see this hit the chainsaw, but at the same time, we are having to prune it so significantly to keep it off the house! Bad planning by the original owners for sure!
Old 11-21-2016, 10:22 PM

Canary Island Date palm is not a native and under no protective clauses in TV, State of FL, nor any county in FL.

Your tree may be a wonderful specimen, but removal by any of the mediocre landscape install companies mentioned will cost you, and plenty. The hard truth is that for a tree like yours to be properly 'balled n burlaped' requires specialized equipment and skills. It would cost more to remove your tree and repair the hole and possible damages underground than it costs to buy a tree exactly like it, from a reputable tree farm.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:27 PM

Canary Island Date Palms (aka, pineapple palms) can grow very tall (~ 50'), albeit they grow quite slowly. The trunks of these palms will eventually get to be hefty in diameter and shouldn't be closer than 8-10' from your house. The fronds shouldn't be cut-off until they are dead and drooping (preferred) or at least until the frond is below horizontal. The reason is that palms divert nutrients from the dying fronds to new (vertical) growth and more fronds. Just because the fronds turn yellow, doesn't mean they're ripe for removal.

Yes, for a price, Canary palms, can be transplanted. I had one of mine transplanted. Sylvester palms (which some think resemble Canary palms) also can be transplanted (personal experience).
These, and I guess all palms, are priced by the foot of height of the trunk.
I'm no expert, I got my information from local landscapers (e.g., I prefer Village Palms) and a website research (e.g., south florida plant guide . com).
If you'd like to know what your Canary palm would cost at a nursery, measure the trunk height from the ground to the lowest frond, and then, visit or call a nursery, like Village Palms. I paid $1500 (installed) for Sylvester palm that was 8' tall.
I love palms and palm-like plants (e.g., Coontie). I've 4 Canary and 4 Sylvester palms. They, both, are cold and drought resistant. I've also 2 Euro Fan palms.
Good luck with your palm frond issues.
Did I mention, I love palms?
Old 12-10-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I've heard that some Nurseries will remove your palm for free because they can then sell it as a mature tree.
I applaud your desire to recycle; your palm sounds awfully large though.
If I were you, I'd call and ask the question to Fairview Farms, Terrascape, and Villages Palms.
Across the street from where we used to live neighbors sold their Canary Palm to a nursery who gladly paid $500 to get it. The nursery was quick to arrive and take it away. A large tree like that is valuable.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterSun View Post
Canary Island Date Palms (aka, pineapple palms) can grow very tall (~ 50'), albeit they grow quite slowly. The trunks of these palms will eventually get to be hefty in diameter and shouldn't be closer than 8-10' from your house. The fronds shouldn't be cut-off until they are dead and drooping (preferred) or at least until the frond is below horizontal. The reason is that palms divert nutrients from the dying fronds to new (vertical) growth and more fronds. Just because the fronds turn yellow, doesn't mean they're ripe for removal.

Yes, for a price, Canary palms, can be transplanted. I had one of mine transplanted. Sylvester palms (which some think resemble Canary palms) also can be transplanted (personal experience).
These, and I guess all palms, are priced by the foot of height of the trunk.
I'm no expert, I got my information from local landscapers (e.g., I prefer Village Palms) and a website research (e.g., south florida plant guide . com).
If you'd like to know what your Canary palm would cost at a nursery, measure the trunk height from the ground to the lowest frond, and then, visit or call a nursery, like Village Palms. I paid $1500 (installed) for Sylvester palm that was 8' tall.
I love palms and palm-like plants (e.g., Coontie). I've 4 Canary and 4 Sylvester palms. They, both, are cold and drought resistant. I've also 2 Euro Fan palms.
Good luck with your palm frond issues.
Did I mention, I love palms?
Re: $1500 for a sylvester palm - we drove to Clermont, a short drive. At Majestic Nurseries we picked out a huge sylvester and paid only $250 plus $100 for delivery and installation. It pays to look around and drive a little further to avoid local sticker prices.
Closed Thread

Tags
house, canary, palm, transplant, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.