Sprinkler heads sinking?

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2012, 09:28 PM

I have since searched this website for irrigation recommendations and have found three I will try to see what they think and hire one to fix the problem. Will let ya know how it goes. I just love TOTV and all the helpful info here on this site. I will have to make it a point to post some positive experiences I have had with contractors I have used since we moved here in February. Got to return some of the info I have received so others can benefit too. Thanks for all your input. Much appreciated.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:51 AM

I had Don the Donunut man do all of my sprinklers about two years ago. Give him a call.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Gold member

It may be that the downward pressure exerted by the flow of water out of the sprinkler head may be enough to gradually push the sprinkler head lower in the damp soil. Being that the soil is sandy makes me believe it could happen over time. Think of when you are holding a garden hose. If you let it loose, the back pressure causes the hose to move on its own.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:39 PM

I don't have a clue, but did call Chip from Action Irrigation this morning and have an appt. tomorrow to access the situation. Will keep you all posted. Thanks for all the input. I didn't have the donut guys number and thinking it may be a little more work involved, just don't know at this point.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:10 PM

Just thought I would give you all who were so helpful an update on what transpired with my irrigation sprinkler sinking issues. Had Chip from Action Irrigation come over and access and they really were not down too far, just needed some digging around all of the donuts and changed out 13 heads of 39 for more better coverage. He and his associate were awesome! Lawn looks great and my irrigation is now purring like a kitten again! Thank you all for all your input. I love TOTV! Any future issues, I will not hesitate to call Action Irrigation again. Prompt, courteous and gets the job done above and beyond. Very reasonable priced too.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Gold member

DebbieB,

Glad that things worked out so well. Thanks for the update. That's great forum etiquette.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Your irrigation system needs a tune up every so often.....be it yearly or every other year. The longer you wait the higher the bill is likely to be for the heads go bad and its the heads that cost money.

Glad your problem is fixed...!
Old 07-28-2012, 04:23 PM

In my humble opinion, the sprinklers do not sink. The sod establishes roots and is higher than when initially installed. You can see this by the driveway and curb. This happened up north without donuts and without heavy mowers on the lawn. Cut-off risers are available at both big box stores for less than 40 cents each. Dig around the head to the depth of the elbow where the sprinkler head is attached. Unscrew the head and insert the riser, cut to the desired length, and re-install the sprinkler body. Recommend removing the sprinkler nozzle to flush out any sand, and to clean the screen. Install the nozzle and adjust as necessary. I raised 60 heads this spring, and they are still at the appropriate level.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Thumbs up sprinkler heads

I agree, risers are inexpensive.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori4719 View Post
Our landscaper told us not to use the donuts that they make the sprinklers sink. Something about the donuts weighing the ground down? I didn't really understand it at the time, but maybe she was right. I would call either your irrigation person or the person that does your lawn and see if they can help you.
Get a new landscaper. The soil around it is heaver than the donnut, and the donut would have to push the pipes dawn as well as the sprinker head. Putting on an extention will fix the problem and they are very easy to do. Just dig around them and remove the head and add the appropriate extention. They are hand tightened.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Default Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Was wondering if anyone has had an issue with sprinkler heads sinking low in the ground after about 5 months? I bought donuts for them when we first got here, but they seem to be an awful lot lower now. I mean, they still just make it over the grass level to function, but did you have to raise them? Is this a normal thing after the sod takes and grows? If so, can anyone recommend who may do the job, I have 39 of those sprinklers and would not relish doing the job myself. Thanks for any input you may have on this.
There most likely not sinking. As the grass gets established it gets thicker it raises higher, The problem is easy to fix. Go to home depot and buy extentions at differant lenghs. You can also buy ones that can be cut to any lenth you want at inch increments. The work is not too diercult. You dig down as far as the pipe the hole the same size as the donut. Remove the assembly thats attached to a tee or elbow and you can add the extention. The parts are all hand tight.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Chip Parrish, Action Irrigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I don't have a clue, but did call Chip from Action Irrigation this morning and have an appt. tomorrow to access the situation. Will keep you all posted. Thanks for all the input. I didn't have the donut guys number and thinking it may be a little more work involved, just don't know at this point.
We've lived here several years and always had an acquaintance do our irrigation, but I had a major problem with my grass browning out and saw Chip being highly recommended on this board, so we called him. He did an excellent job, I had several sprinkler heads leaking and wasting water, and he just "knows what to do" - he's great, plus he is married to a Village realtor so they live here, are here for the duration and he backs his work 100%. Great guy.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.