Swamp on the side...

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2016, 11:07 AM
Unhappy Swamp on the side...

My side yard (between two homes) is constantly soaking wet. I've had two people (from two diff. companies) come out and look at it, dig it up, etc. - there's a small green "pop-up" valve and water is constantly pouring out of it. No connection to sprinklers - both said, "That's your washing machine drain, it does that - try to do less wash". I did - still a soaking wet mess. Kills the grass, trees, etc. It supposedly is a "french drain", but I don't see any drainage happening - just pooled water, all over. Any ideas?
Old 11-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Veteran member

Washing machine should only discharge into the sewer system.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaJones View Post
My side yard (between two homes) is constantly soaking wet. I've had two people (from two diff. companies) come out and look at it, dig it up, etc. - there's a small green "pop-up" valve and water is constantly pouring out of it. No connection to sprinklers - both said, "That's your washing machine drain, it does that - try to do less wash". I did - still a soaking wet mess. Kills the grass, trees, etc. It supposedly is a "french drain", but I don't see any drainage happening - just pooled water, all over. Any ideas?
If want some help tell us what Village and what type neighborhood, ie Patio Villa, Courtyard Villa or "House"?
I had a similar problem, turned out to be the gutters went into a drain field, and the piping was full of sand and other material that catches in the gutters. I had to dig up the "old" drain pipe, which was corrugated plastic, and replace with solid plastic PVC pipe which I ran to the curb and put in a popup at the curb. I also put in an access point that I can open and run a hose thru to keep it cleaned out.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:24 PM

Maybe a water softener drain?
Old 11-14-2016, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
OK, as stated previously, the washer should drain to the sewer connection inside the house. Our water softener will typically only backwash once a month, so I doubt that could be the problem. If the popup is about 4 inches in diameter, that could be connected to roof gutters, but it has been so dry lately the lawn should be dry also.
You did not mention irrigation, so Jim Baumgardner is very good, I would have him look at the irrigation, if your neighbor is cooperative, have Jim looks at theirs also. We have a similar problem, I had a broken sprinkler head, and neighbor was over watering, has been fine since Jim fixed these problems.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Veteran member
Default Improper Grading

Quote:
If your property is still under warranty, you have a leg to stand on. Otherwise, if still relatively new, if you complain loud and long enough to Warranty, they may take a look at your problem. Supposedly, if a yard doesn't drain within a certain specified amount of time (I can't recall what amount of hours that is), they will fix it.

We had a similar problem. They had to come out twice to regrade and it ended up being more than just our yard. Our neighbor had a worse problem and basically, they had to regrade their entire lot and some of the next property. They were there for a week and the job had to cost a bundle. If they would put enough fill on these lots they would be able to grade properly, but no. Less is more. if they can get away with it.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:03 PM

It's a house. No warranty, older home. No, the gutters are NOT draining into it - had that checked x2. No, I don't have a water softener. It's a soggy mess, 24/7, I even had the sprinklers dug up - not the sprinkler line. I ran a drain snake up the pipe connected to the popup valve - it actually seems to lead right to the room where the washer/dryer are??
Old 11-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

Quote:
It's a house. No warranty, older home. No, the gutters are NOT draining into it - had that checked x2. No, I don't have a water softener. It's a soggy mess, 24/7, I even had the sprinklers dug up - not the sprinkler line. I ran a drain snake up the pipe connected to the popup valve - it actually seems to lead right to the room where the washer/dryer are??
Thanks for the update. Since this is an older home, maybe something was done by a previous home owner. You might try putting the snake in the washer drain, and seeing if it ends up in the yard popup. If it does, your property may be in violation of current plumbing requirements. Other possibility, you could fill the sink or an container in the laundry room with water and food dye, have someone pour into the drain, and see if you see colored water in your lawn. If you do, IMHO, you will need to contact a LICENSED plumber and have this fixed.
From all the info you provided, the only other item might be the one of the utility water lines, in our development, these run between the houses from the street to a buried box (with the meter), and then to the house (potable) or to the irrigation valve box.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Is it possible its condensate from your AC unit. I know it sounds far fetched, but I have a hard time believing its your washer and dryer, unless somebody messed up big time. Is your AC on?
Old 11-17-2016, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

How about some pictures that show the problem area and the surrounding area without giving up your exact location. Has this always been a problem area or did this dilemma just begin lately? I just had a similar situation and the grass was beautiful in that area, turned out to be a broken pvc sprinkler pipe.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:54 AM

Many thanks - I'll try the dye thing tomorrow. Yes, I thought about the A/C, but it hasn't been running over the past week & it's still soaking wet. The house is 11 years old (Lynnhaven) so I'll get a plumber out to check it. Again - thanks!!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:37 PM

I have the same problem since first moving here almost 5 years ago. My lanai is on the side of our house so we do not go in the backyard a lot. Well......our backyard is a swamp. So are the sides of our house. My husband bugged the warranty dept long and hard. Water NEVER dries. Always squishy wet. So the builder sent out their landscaper. Not mentioning names. 4 times he dug up our yard. 4 French drains, put new sod. Last time was about 2 weeks ago. They put in a FIFTH French drain. We were not home. You would not believe the mess they made. They replaced sod in piecework! I also have a mold problem from the wet ground. It smells too. The Villages sent an independent contractor last week. He said nothing more can be done. Be happy with what you have. Nobody gets what we got! Meanwhile my home was not graded correctly. Was not fixed correctly and is one big mess. Hiring my own people to fix it. Just want to be rid of the mold, don't even care how it looks anymore.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Many thanks - I'll try the dye thing tomorrow. Yes, I thought about the A/C, but it hasn't been running over the past week & it's still soaking wet. The house is 11 years old (Lynnhaven) so I'll get a plumber out to check it. Again - thanks!!
We had a similar problem, also in Lynnhaven. It was on the side/front of our lanai, patio villa on a corner lot. The Villages owns the property next to us where the water drained toward us. We ended up hiring Village Palms to put in a drainage pipe and a beautiful brick patio. We now no longer have a huge puddle there every time it rains and we love our patio. Hope you can get yours solved, too!

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2017, 10:12 PM

No speculation here! Contact Home Warranty; provide only the specifics. I don't recommend that you mention the attempts to diagnose and/or repair measures taken or attempts to repair. Home Warranty knows every detail about you your lot and who to contact to resolve. Your green village ID card has your lot number on it and be prepare to provide that number along with your address. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Lawn, Yard, and Garden Drainage Guide | French Drains | Step 1

Tags
water, drain, wet, side, constantly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.