Tree removal and Royal Palms ?

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Platinum member
Default Tree removal and Royal Palms ?

I have been reading about TV for several years, and think that I read that that Royal Palms were not allowed. Does anyone know for sure?

I also read on this forum that you cannot remove a builders tree if it is larger than 4 inches. Is this true, or can you remove one and replace it?

Thanks for any help!
Pat
Old 09-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Default Re: Tree removal and Royal Palms ?

I am not sure about whether Royal Palms are allowed or not, but I don't think they can with stand the winter temps
Old 09-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Platinum member

star:

It's true that there are limits on removing trees with a 4-inch or more diameter trunk! The policy reflects The Developer's "green" attitude.

There is a panel of folks who review any and all modifications you might want to make to your place, whether building or landscape. They're pretty fluid, but can be hard-nosed, too.

I suspect that if you want to take out a 4-inch tree, and tell them that you're going to replace it with a 4-inch tree or bigger, it might work!

SWR
Old 09-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Platinum member

Thanks! We are looking at property and will want to add a small pool. One property we are looking at has a tree that might need to be removed. Just thinking.

I had not thought about the cooler winters "up north". We live in south Florida and really like Royal Palms because they shed and don't have to be trimmed. But will probably have to leave the royals to the south.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:46 AM

I live in SW FL and was told by a nurseryman here that Royal Palms can't survive much further north than Ft. Myers, I believe. They can't take the colder weather. But maybe if you sneak one in under your sweater.............

Just kidding!
Old 09-08-2008, 03:20 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

Well according to this they should do OK.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2181/
They grow in San Fransisco but they main be a variation which grows in a colder climate.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:26 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

Here's some more info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roystonea
http://www.seedman.com/coldhard.htm
Old 09-09-2008, 11:46 AM

My understanding is the Royal Palm is the male version of the Queen Palm, and the will not survive the winter. The Foxtail Palm won't make it here either, yet just the other side of Leesburg they do just fine.
Oak trees are not the idea of the Developer. Old residence to this area were angry that all the large oak trees were being cut down, it was changing the look, and that's why many of them lived here. I heard, they petitioned for any removal of a tree meant a tree (of the same) had to be planted.
Yes, things should be approved by the Architectural Review Committee, but no one comes out and checks, unless your neighbor or Village Watch reports you. If you get caught they will want you to put it back, unless you can find a close neighbor that wants it. If it isn't put back the fine can be as high as $500.00. When I did landscaping I would get rid of as many as I could, only because they are so big and messy.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Sage

My neighbor has a foxtail Palm and it survived the nasty freeze we had last winter. She had been warned that it was susceptible to freeze, but, took the chance anyway. We are on the South end of TV, probably no more than 5-7 miles from Leesburg as the crow flies.

So, now, on top of everything else you have to consider North Villages vs South Villages for what thrives here.

Male vs Female Royal vs Queen? Who woulda thunk it?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Royal Plams Won't Survive This Far North

The University of Florida has extensive information available on what types of palms will survive in which climactic zones. Individual homeowners, with the "help" of local nurseries can push the limits if they choose. As an example, you see lots of Robellini Palms around. But when we experience a serious cold snap, you also see the results, which often takes a year or more for the surviving trees to repair themselves. You'll see some Washingtonian Palms--they look great now and will survive our weather. But wait a few years until they quickly grow to 50-60-70 feet in height, dwarfing the houses of the homeowners who selected them. My guess is that in a few years the landscapers who have the equipment will be doing quite well removing Washingtonians.

It's pretty safe to conclude that the palms that you see in greatest abundance in this area are the ones that will both survive the weather as well as being appropriate choices for the landscaping of fairly dense construction. If you get a responsible nurseryman, they'll also tell you honestly what will work and what won't in The Villages.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:21 PM

Exactly Kahuna, if you don't have the knowledge, or hire the right people to help you, you'll pay for it later.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.