Trimming a Sylvester Palm

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2015, 08:18 AM
Default Trimming a Sylvester Palm

Would appreciate info on who to call to trim and diamond cut our Sylvester. When is the best time of year to do this? We've had our tree for a year and it has finally recovered from the bad planting by a local landscaper.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:07 PM

Had my 8 ft. Sylvester for 2+ yrs. & haven't had to cut any palms off. Wait until the palm is completely BROWN before pruning.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:22 PM

Once you have a dozen or more new fronds, you can prune the ugly fronds off any time of year you like. If you kept it tightly trimmed with only 10 or 12 fronds over the next 5 years and longer, the new trunk diameter would be a little smaller. You could actually cut every frond on the tree off every 2 or 3 years and not hurt a thing.

It isn't rocket science, and the less experienced the guy is cutting the frond, seems the more frond they leave. If using lopers or hand saw, you can't mess up really. As long as you cut only the fronds you want removed. I prefer to cut below the last thorn.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:52 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to JaniceOhio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
Would appreciate info on who to call to trim and diamond cut our Sylvester. When is the best time of year to do this? We've had our tree for a year and it has finally recovered from the bad planting by a local landscaper.
Hi Buckeyephan --- I'm also trying to recover from a bad landscaper who planted 3 Sylvester palms. Says trees have a year warranty...and as they keep turning more and more brown he continues to tell me not to worry...Told me not to worry about maintenance either and that he would take care of it. Never happened... I'm in Columbus more than I can be here (Gilchrist) and it's been heartbreaking and difficult.. BUT I have an idea..

For all those who pay hundreds or thousands to bad services ... Is there a way TOTV could have a Bad Business Bureau? RipOffReport.com is for the world. Could we Villagers begin a Bad Business Bureau for us? Seems to me there would be plenty of postings and we could avoid the grief once and for all..or at least minimize.

Anyone?

Janice (Go Bucks)
Old 05-26-2015, 03:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
I'd also like to know where to get the trunks of our double Sylvester diamond cut.
It was done five years ago after planting, and it was gorgeous. It took the guy all day to diamond cut the two trunks.
I'm not talking about normal pruning of dead fronds. I mean the actual diamond cutting which seems like a rare skill.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:29 PM
Default Seniors vs. Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaniceOhio View Post
Hi Buckeyephan --- I'm also trying to recover from a bad landscaper who planted 3 Sylvester palms. Says trees have a year warranty...and as they keep turning more and more brown he continues to tell me not to worry...Told me not to worry about maintenance either and that he would take care of it. Never happened... I'm in Columbus more than I can be here (Gilchrist) and it's been heartbreaking and difficult.. BUT I have an idea..

For all those who pay hundreds or thousands to bad services ... Is there a way TOTV could have a Bad Business Bureau? RipOffReport.com is for the world. Could we Villagers begin a Bad Business Bureau for us? Seems to me there would be plenty of postings and we could avoid the grief once and for all..or at least minimize.

Anyone?

Janice (Go Bucks)
There is an organization called Seniors vs. Crime. They have an office on Rt. 466 and one in Brownwood. They are part of the Florida State Attorney Generals office.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.