Trumpet Vine? Or Any Trellis Climber That Is Tough?

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2017, 10:47 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default Trumpet Vine? Or Any Trellis Climber That Is Tough?

A few weeks ago, I asked questions here about my bougainvillea and got lots of excellent answers from TOTVers. As things turned out though, I had to give up on the one that would not bloom. I replaced it with another one. But now that bougainvillea is behaving badly.

I know I sound impatient, but the trellis is located to be a focal point that I can see from the lanai and also the inside living area of our house. I want blooms. I want color. (The hibiscus that are a part of the scene are doing just fine -- except for the yellow ones. But I harshly pruned them and now they seem to be starting to try, at least. Tough love, I guess.)

But, hibiscus do not climb. I need a tough climber.

Would trumpet vine be a good choice for a replacement? Or would it take over everything when I was not looking?

Would mandevilla be not tough enough?

(The spot is sunny but for some reason bougainvillea cannot settle in there. Maybe it is not sunny enough. I don't know.)

I need ideas for a tough climbing plant to bloom on the trellis soon to be vacated by yet another uncooperative bougainvillea. (It's actually the third one I have tried in that spot. I know it is time to move on. But to what?)

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Last edited by Boomer; 02-22-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:13 PM

Boomer: Consider a honeysuckle vine (genus lonicera), but NOT the invasive Japanese species (l. japonica). The coral honeysuckle (lonicera sempervirens) is a Florida native. It won't provide the "WOW" that a bougainvillea in full bloom will elicit, but it will have scarlet flowers and you'll enjoy viewing the ruby throat hummingbird as it goes from one tubule to the next sipping the nectar. It's evergreen.

There is a cultivar named 'Major Wheeler' that is allegedly very floriferous but I don't know if it does well here. I've attached an article by a Florida resident commenting on another lonicera species that successfully grows at Leu Gardens.

Trumpet vine has a reputation of being invasive. A better behaved relative, and one I read of often, is 'Tangerine Beauty' cross vine (bigonia capreolata). It's reported to be a slow grower but can eventually reach 30' plus. It also draws the hummingbirds.

Home and Garden DIY Ideas, Photos and Answers | Hometalk

Last edited by juneroses; 02-22-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

If it's any help, we have had a mandevilla at the base of our front light post for about 5 years. We've cut it back sometime twice a year as that sucker really grows and blooms. It faces the east and gets plenty of sun.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	66212  
Old 02-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Thank you, juneroses. I really appreciate your giving me the genus name because I know how invasive the usual honeysuckle can be. I am happy to know there is a honeysuckle that has nice manners. And thank you for the link, too.

Bjeanj, your mandevilla looks really happy. I have used mandevilla as an annual vine in Ohio. Mandevilla can put on quite a show when it has found its place. Thank you.
Closed Thread

Tags
bougainvillea, tough, spot, trellis, bloom

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.