What requires architectural review?

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Gold member
Default What requires architectural review?

In reading another thread, I noticed that someone was planting some shrubs in their back yard. This raises a question in my mind in terms of at which point is it reasonably expected that you must get architectural review board approval before doing any DIY landscaping? I'm sure that at one end of the spectrum, a full re-do of the landscaping by a professional landscaper, a permit is required and people do apply for it. On the other end of the spectrum, I assume that if you want to plant a single shrub that people don't bother with a permit application (or do they?) So, how far up the continuum do people go before they bother with a permit? Would putting in a shrub/flower bed around your patio put you into the permit application process? I'm guessing that front yard landscaping may be more rigidly controlled than backyard, so what have people done permit-less in either situation?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default omigosh omigosh omigosh

Here I am ready to dig them back up. Somebody tell me quick whether I am gonna get smacked by the village watch. I shoulda asked mother may I.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

I just got an approval from the ARB on my little project, and I'd talked with them at some length at the recent Water Conservation Expo where they had a booth. And I read the deed restrictions.

If it's just a shrub, I don't think they care.
If it's a somewhat noticeable project and visible (not fenced) whether front, side or back, it can't hurt to get their approval or you can get tagged by them.
It needs to be natural in the newer areas (again, depends on what village, older areas have fewer restrictions).

Where I am (Hemingway - Area 7), shrubs, trees, pots and rocks, fountains (running water) are allowed. Statues, bird baths, wind chimes, etc. are not.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Here I am ready to dig them back up. Somebody tell me quick whether I am gonna get smacked by the village watch. I shoulda asked mother may I.
relax... you're safe.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Sage
Default Building Permit/Architectural Review

We recently added a birdcage and the construction company took care of the building permit.

I can't mention the landscaping and queen palms and river rock we've added. Because Village Watch might be reading TOTV to ferret out the little offenders and smack them hard.

I think if you are doing "small jobs" and if your landscaping is tastefully done, you're OK. I'd bet most of the time they just respond if a neighbour complains.

Oh yes, of course, you need to know where your gas and electrical lines are, and your watering nozzles.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.