When should roses be pruned?

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2015, 02:06 PM
Default When should roses be pruned?

Pruning Roses - University of Florida's Gardening in a Minute

IFAS/UF site says do it in Jan or Feb.

What would you do after that to care for roses?
Old 02-27-2015, 03:14 PM
Veteran member

Pruning roses around Valentine's Day in mid February is the recommended time in this area. Recommendations include pruning and removing all leaves and dispose of them to limit rose diseases. Fertilize with a rose fertilizer after pruning. You could also spray for fungal diseases or use a rose product that has an insecticide and fungicide included with the fertilizer. (3 in 1 product.)
Old 02-28-2015, 04:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie Brown View Post
Pruning Roses - University of Florida's Gardening in a Minute

IFAS/UF site says do it in Jan or Feb.

What would you do after that to care for roses?

Keep in mind that a rose bush should always grow in the shape of a cup with no growth on the inside. Remove (by hand) inside growth when you see it start to come out. All new growth should be on the outside or side of the main stems and only when they will not cross or touch other growth.

Fertilize about once a month with a fertilizer designed for roses. When you prune yearly or semi-annually, don't cut back more than 20-30% of the total growth. In Florida, you may want to prune twice a year, if necessary. When cutting roses, cut as far down as the first set of 5 leaves which are growing outwardly, meaning they should be on the outer side of the stem. The cut should be on the inside at a downward (slanted) angle. This is done to prevent disease.

PM me if you need help or don't understand what I mean. I know it can be confusing.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Keep in mind that a rose bush should always grow in the shape of a cup with no growth on the inside. Remove (by hand) inside growth when you see it start to come out. All new growth should be on the outside or side of the main stems and only when they will not cross or touch other growth.

Fertilize about once a month with a fertilizer designed for roses. When you prune yearly or semi-annually, don't cut back more than 20-30% of the total growth. In Florida, you may want to prune twice a year, if necessary. When cutting roses, cut as far down as the first set of 5 leaves which are growing outwardly, meaning they should be on the outer side of the stem. The cut should be on the inside at a downward (slanted) angle. This is done to prevent disease.

PM me if you need help or don't understand what I mean. I know it can be confusing.
VERY helpful post. What fungicide do you use?
Old 03-01-2015, 02:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
VERY helpful post. What fungicide do you use?

Use Bayer's Advanced Disease Control for Roses, Flowers and shrubs.
Lowe's and Home Depot have it and probably even WalMart.

All Bayer's products are excellent.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:56 AM

Depends on if the rose is a hybrid tea, knockout, drift, old fashioned,climbing or miniature as to when and how you should trim. The age of the rose and health is also a factor, past pruning as well. I have studied Central Florida roses for over 30 years. If you remember Nelson Roses, those are the folks we used to call to ask about Florida Roses. Sadly the popularity and exaggerations of Knockout roses has all but wiped out the hybrid tea nurseries so you likely have knockouts or drifts.

Still, there are so many factors affecting rose pruning, I (nor any expert) could not tell you when or how to prune any rose in this area properly, without looking at it ... or writing a book.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Thank you all for your helpful information. Did the best I could.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_5385.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	48494  
Old 03-03-2015, 04:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Depends on if the rose is a hybrid tea, knockout, drift, old fashioned,climbing or miniature as to when and how you should trim. The age of the rose and health is also a factor, past pruning as well. I have studied Central Florida roses for over 30 years. If you remember Nelson Roses, those are the folks we used to call to ask about Florida Roses. Sadly the popularity and exaggerations of Knockout roses has all but wiped out the hybrid tea nurseries so you likely have knockouts or drifts.

Still, there are so many factors affecting rose pruning, I (nor any expert) could not tell you when or how to prune any rose in this area properly, without looking at it ... or writing a book.

The instructions I gave for rose pruning was very obviously, NOT for Knock-out roses, drift, climbing, miniature, etc. Those instructions were for floribunda, tea, grafted, etc -- basiclly, any type of cut rose. Keeping them in a "cup" shape with no growth on the inside, should have been a clue.

Hybrid tea roses are readily available at some local nurseries, box stores and online at nurseries throughout the country.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post

The instructions I gave for rose pruning was very obviously, NOT for Knock-out roses, drift, climbing, miniature, etc. Those instructions were for floribunda, tea, grafted, etc -- basiclly, any type of cut rose. Keeping them in a "cup" shape with no growth on the inside, should have been a clue.

Hybrid tea roses are readily available at some local nurseries, box stores and online at nurseries throughout the country.
Obviously, to people who know about roses.

In comparison to KO roses , Drift and Sun roses, there are way WAY fewer grafted roses on the market. Most (possibly all) of the nurseries in Florida that grew only grafted roses are now growing mostly other things, only other things, or out of business. I never said they (grafted roses) were no longer available, but they are the minority.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:20 AM

This subject is getting a bit thorny! Sorry, i couldn't resist. Lighten up guys.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdgos View Post
this subject is getting a bit thorny! Sorry, i couldn't resist. Lighten up guys.
lol
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.