Why won't my bougainvillea bloom? Or did it?

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2017, 12:04 PM

Finally, after 3 years our bougainvillea bloomed. Also, changed lawn service. Too much water was one problem. It grows like crazy, but never bloomed. This fall it finally produced blooms and looks lovely.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:34 PM

If you have lots of dark green new growth, the growth needed to happen sooner and harden off before bloom time. Likely you trimmed it a little too late in the ear or it is in a larger container and in a state of fast growth curbing the ability to bloom. I suggest you don't trim the plant again until it blooms nicely.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:48 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

The saga continues.........

Well, not exactly........

I have learned a lot from the advice I found here. Thank you to all.

But......I must confess......about a week ago, I evicted my uncooperative bougainvillea. I don't think there was any hope. Some of its leaves looked like it had started to have some other issues, besides not blooming. And so I got out my shovel and cut my losses.

It has been replaced with......yep, another bougainvillea. The new one is looking good--so far, all covered in blooms--for now.

I know I sound like a bad gardener, lacking patience. But this is the plant I see from inside my house, too. It was acting real ugly.....gave me only one choice. Banished!

Last edited by Boomer; 01-28-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:45 AM

Your right about the irrigation as it pertains to water control. Try to find a dryer spot or have the sprinkler company change the head that waters that particular zone. Good Luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
bougainvillea, blooms, plants, spring, pink

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.