Year around blooms???

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Gold member
Default Year around blooms???

I know that during the winter that at times it gets cold and even some frost, but is it possible to plant different types of shrubs such that something is in bloom all year around?

On a related subject. When are annuals planted and how long do they bloom before they either get tired or it becomes too cold at night to survive? I'm guessing that pansies will bloom and thrive all winter long, since they bloom all winter in NJ. Right?

As a somewhat experienced Northern gardener, I feel like a rank amateur with respect to Central Florida gardening.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Sage
Default Re: Year around blooms???

NJblue, the impatiens that I planted in Mar 06 are still blooming like crazy. Granted, they are in mostly shade. Other annuals have reseeded and the petunias die then come back. My geraniums are two years old and have bloomed continuously.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Veteran member

My only Florida experience was in semi-tropical Miami, but I had many beautiful hibiscus & bouganvilla, growing all year; they did survive cold winters when it used to be cold down there, in the70s & 80s (before global warming) :
Old 08-06-2008, 10:27 PM

NJBlue: There are 3 garden clubs in the Villages. They all meet on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 9 A.M. One meets at La Hacienda Rec Center and another meets at the Mulberry Rec Center. The 3rd is a new club located south of 466 but I don't remember the specific meeting place. Look under Villages Clubs in the Recreation News that will be in this Thursday's paper for more specifics.

I don't think there are dues for any of the clubs. Instead, they usually encourage a non-perishable food donation for one of the food banks, etc.

Members who have established gardens usually have a wealth of extra plants which they bring to the meetings to share. Newcomers are happy to add these to their gardens and eventually they become sharers too.

Most of us have moved from someplace other than Florida so we've all had (and still have) questions about what to plant, when to plant, growing conditions, etc. Fellow Villagers are happy to share what they've learned.

At the meetings there may be a question/answer period and then there is usually a speaker. I've found that even if the topic isn't at the top of my list, I attend anyway because I always learn some tidbit or two that does apply to something I'm doing in the garden.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:31 AM

Two plants will bloom all year, the Knock Out Rose, and the Bush Daisy. They may not have as many flowers in Jan. & Feb., but, as soon as the sun warms them up they are blooming again. Both very hardy, I don't think you can kill them.
These two plants can grow to more than 3 feet. If you want them to look nice and full, I recommend, you keep them trimmed to no more than 2 feet. The more they are trimmed the more they bloom. Remember... No trimming in the frost!
Walter Vibernum is a nice shrub, and will stay a beautiful green all year and bloom a lacy white flower in the fall. If you mix them with the Indian Hawthorn (another low shrub), you will have flowers from March until Oct.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Gold member

Hi, will save this info. I like easy to take care of flowers that are always blooming.

In HI now and the Plumeria and tuber roses seem to be everywhere. Scent from these flowers if fantastic.

Has anyone grown either in TV?

HB
Old 08-30-2008, 11:35 PM

Hi,

The third garden club meets at Churchhill. They all meet on the second Wednesday of the month in the morning, each with different times. Some do not meet during the summer. I go to the one with the subject that interests me the most as there are no dues. They do have cuttings or small starts of plants and you can bring along some too. Also, coming up are some plant sales, especially in October (Log Cabin park). For those you have to get there really early since it is very crowded.

I saved an article of "the Dependable Dozen" for plants. Here is what is listed.

Indian Hawthorn
Variegated Pittosporum
Thryallis (blooms yr round except coldest locations)
ligustrum
Shillings Holly
Podocarpus
Liriope
Turk's Cap
Viburnum
Loropetalum
Bottlebush
Sandankwa Viburnum
Old 08-31-2008, 01:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

butterfly sue, nice list, thanks for sharing it
Old 09-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Gold member

Hi, I am just saying "Hello" so that I get all new messages on this thread.

HB
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.