Zoyia green dead spots

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2017, 07:04 AM
Default Zoyia green dead spots

I have some dead spots due to low water. That has now been corrected. Thatch is gone. What is the best way to fill in these areas?
Old 01-16-2017, 09:51 AM

Plant Zoyia. Or just leave it, it will fill over time
Old 01-17-2017, 09:15 PM
Gold member
Default Dead spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendlake View Post
I have some dead spots due to low water. That has now been corrected. Thatch is gone. What is the best way to fill in these areas?
I think what you are asking about is zoysia lawn.
Now is not the time to e working on your lawn as it stops growing for winter. You will get better results if you wait until APRIL.
You say the thatch is gone. If, you are saying your raked it out, you soil is now opened to weed invasion. You may want to put down a weed preventor such as PREEN. Yes, it does work on your lawn. It will not affect the zoysia as it grows not from seed but from runners
The zoysia variety in the villages is empire zoysia-it does not produce viable seeds. If, you buy seed marked zoysia it is not empire zoysia and it will never match.
You can use a long handled bulb planter to cut plugs randomly out of the good parts of you lawn and used the same tool to cut a hole where you can plant the plugs.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Sage

I'd rip out the bad spots and plant St. Augustine and wait for it to take over the lawn. A neighbor down the street ripped out all his Zoyia and replaced it with St. Augustine and now has the best looking lawn in the neighborhood. It stays green when our Zoyia is brown and takes less water. It will creep to fill void areas. That's the only grass I've ever had till I came here. The Villages use it in all common areas and I heard has stopped using Zoysa in new lawns.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:49 PM
Sage

Isn't replacing a zoysia lawn with St. Augustine a problem for neighboring yards? It spreads and maybe nearby neighbors don't want St. Augustine grass.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Isn't replacing a zoysia lawn with St. Augustine a problem for neighboring yards? It spreads and maybe nearby neighbors don't want St. Augustine grass.
I never thought of that Pooh. Best to ask them first. You'd be doing them a favor if they agree.

Tags
spots, dead, thatch, areas, fill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.