Admittance to Gainsville or Mayo Clinic in Jax

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Eternal Member
Default Admittance to Gainsville or Mayo Clinic in Jax

I am very concerned about a neighbor who has had two mini strokes and gastro problems within the last 9 months. The doctors here have not been much help. She had terrible gastro problems yesterday and when she called her gastro doctor, she was told she could be seen in late September.

Her neurologist just keeps pumping medicine into her and ordering tests and did not repond to her request for a referral. She has been to the ER several times and hospitalized once.
She has asked her internist to refer her to Mayo but with no success - more pills and tests.

Has anyone been to Gainsvillle or Mayo Clinic and, if so, do you need a referral from your personal physician?

Would appreciate any info you might have.

Thanks,
wiw

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Default Re: Admittance to Gainsville or Mayo Clinic in Jax

We have a friend that took his wife to Mayo in Jax as a walk-in. She was diagnosed
by noon the same day. Ck. the financials first about payment arrangements.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Eternal Member

Thank you.....

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:06 PM

I am presently sitting in a hospital room in The Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. For over a year pulmonologists from my home town and here in TV were watching a mass in my lung. They all continued to tell me that while they did not know what it was they didn't think it was cancer. Two week ago my wife contacted Mayo mayoclinic.com and asked for an appointment. Last Wednesday we arrived and within 15 minutes after meeting with the pulmonologist he told us I had a rare form of cancer. The next day we had more tests and the surgeon told us the same thing. I had surgery last Monday and am now waiting to be discharged home. Just contact Mayo and you will get an answer. Note: If you do make an appointment be prepared to spend 3-5 days there for tests and evaluations. They should tell you this but we found out the hard way. Best of luck!
Old 08-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Sage

Wow, JMark, that is quite a story. I'm so happy for you that you took this route and got a firm diagnosis. Best wishes to you for a speedy and full recovery.

Stories like yours might convince others facing a similar dilemma to seek second or truly expert opinions. What you did today could save someone's life.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Sage

jmark, that is an amazing story. A friend on this forum has told me a similar story about her cancer and the lack of treatment locally. I am so glad you were proactive. My friend was also, and I am hoping she makes a full recovery. May the force be with you.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Eternal Member

JMark -

Thank you very much for your response. I am so happy that you were finally able to receive
some top notch care. How fortunate you are. I can only imagine how frightening and frustrating it must have been for you and your family. My best wishes for your speedy recovery.

I have been after my neighbor for over 6 months to go to Mayo. I printed your note and took it to her this morning. After reading it, she is going to Mayo tomorrow and just walk in like Gray Hog's friend did. I think, after reading your message, she finally has realized she will never find an answer here, just as you and Mrs. JMark realized.

Your story is a compelling one and I sincerely appreciate your sharing it with us and helping my friend.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Veteran member

wiw1819, Please be sure to post back to this thread the results of your friends Mayo visit!
Wanabee future TVer
Old 08-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Platinum member

wiw, Please tell your neighbor she is in my prayers. Smart to heed the advise of our TOTVer friends!!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 PM

Today I am sitting at my computer at home. My wife bought me a Wii to help with my recovery and therapy process for my my right shoulder area. Unfortunately I can't get to it because she and our neighbors 9 year old grandson that helped her put it together are playing on it.

Yes, I am extremely blessed with finding the resources I needed at Mayo. I must tell you all that my brother went to Mayo in Rochester last winter to have a tumor removed that his local hospitals would not touch. He is also doing great.

When I started down this road last week I was pretty scared as you might well imagine. I obviously stepped up my prayer activity but what I asked for the most was to make my experience be a benefit to someone else. When I saw this thread posted yesterday it truly was like a prayer answered.

One of the primary things that helps anyone get through health issues like this is the thoughts and prayers from the people you know and love as well as the prayer chains I was put on by friends and family across the country. What caused this happen was that my wife found a site on the internet called Carepages.com. It is truly a wonderful site to keep everyone updated and gives them a chance to express their concerns to me and my wife. If you have a need please take a look at it and I'm sure you will be happy with the results.

I pray that everyone that has a need will not wait too long and contact Mayo Clinic or Cleveland Clinic. If any one has any questions that I can assist with please let me know.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.