Another interesting article for some

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran member
Default Another interesting article for some

Just read this and found it very interesting to read about the interconnected ness between the mitochondria system and the diet. As you may know, we have been on the intermittent fasting (8 Hour diet) for some time now and it is really helping with so many aspects of our health. This info just reinforces for me the benefit of cutting down the grains and sugars and eating high quality protein and organic veggies.

Really shows how much we are what we eat and that we can change our metabolism from fat storing to fat burning which helps to maintain our health.

Ketogenic Diet: Its Benefits and Role in Cancer Treatment

Good Health to All
LW888
Old 06-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
Just read this and found it very interesting to read about the interconnected ness between the mitochondria system and the diet. As you may know, we have been on the intermittent fasting (8 Hour diet) for some time now and it is really helping with so many aspects of our health. This info just reinforces for me the benefit of cutting down the grains and sugars and eating high quality protein and organic veggies.

Really shows how much we are what we eat and that we can change our metabolism from fat storing to fat burning which helps to maintain our health.

Ketogenic Diet: Its Benefits and Role in Cancer Treatment

Good Health to All
LW888
Scroll down to where it says: "Calorie Restriction Is A Key Part Of The Equation." That is the key! I've been doing that for a long time now and I believe it's working for me. I don't quite buy all the other parts of his equation.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Sage

OP, Isn't ketosis a metabolic shift caused by too few carbs to suffice in which the body uses fat for energy? is that too simple? It's like an Atkins diet? It's a tricky difference to restrict calories vs restrict carbs, isn't it?
Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Veteran member

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that, lightworker.

Quote:
Here, Dr. Seyfried recommends getting your glucose down to a steady level of about 55-65 mg/dl, which is about HALF of what’s conventionally considered "good" or "normal."
Whoa. I gotta say as a diabetic, that if my glucose goes below 65 I get very shaky and sweaty, with blurred vision and thumping tachycardia. Everyone's metabolism is different, but please, please be very cautious about hypoglycemia. If your blood sugar is abnormally low, you may be too confused to recognize the symptoms and, you know, eat something before you pass out.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Veteran member

Yes that is the idea. You want to get a metabolic shift so that you burn rather than store fat and is not just a calorie restricting approach. It has worked well for us. Don't know how it differs from Atkins, but I understand that it is more like food combining and reducing grains and simple carbs and sugar, as well as starch veggies. It also supports high quality fats (coconut oil, olive oil and avocado) and high quality protein, but I would also moderate quantity.

I'm not a nutritionist but it seems to work well for us and has kept us symptom free up til now. We also do our emotional work as we really believe that our emotional vibration is at the root of whatever symptoms show up on the physical plane.

We really believe that we are what we think, believe, feel and eat. It's a full time job doing our best to keep ourselves as healthy as we can on all levels. And of course I follow the 80/20 approach which for me helps to live in a "moderation in all things" way. However, reducing sugar and grains is getting easier and easier even when eating out.

LW888
Old 06-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Sage

any groups or gatherings in TV to support a lifestyle as you describe..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
Yes that is the idea. You want to get a metabolic shift so that you burn rather than store fat and is not just a calorie restricting approach. It has worked well for us. Don't know how it differs from Atkins, but I understand that it is more like food combining and reducing grains and simple carbs and sugar, as well as starch veggies. It also supports high quality fats (coconut oil, olive oil and avocado) and high quality protein, but I would also moderate quantity.

I'm not a nutritionist but it seems to work well for us and has kept us symptom free up til now. We also do our emotional work as we really believe that our emotional vibration is at the root of whatever symptoms show up on the physical plane.

We really believe that we are what we think, believe, feel and eat. It's a full time job doing our best to keep ourselves as healthy as we can on all levels. And of course I follow the 80/20 approach which for me helps to live in a "moderation in all things" way. However, reducing sugar and grains is getting easier and easier even when eating out.

LW888
Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Veteran member

Queasy, I used to have bouts of hypoglycemia and get shaky if I didn't eat. My DH used to fall asleep in the afternoon after eating and since we have been watching our grains and sugars (incl fruit) neither of us is experiencing the lows. Years ago we read Sugar Blues and so we have known about the effects of sugar, but of course life was too busy to do anything major about our diet or lifestyle.

I am really grateful that we both now have the time and desire to pay attention to our body's subtler messages. Our life's work has been focussed on clearing our "emotional body" and the brain/body connection. Over the years we came to the understanding that supporting our body to let it do its healing work was of paramount importance so now in our 70's it has become our focus. Better late than never! Sometimes we get in our heads so much, we don't "hear" the body talking.

BTW Dr. Mark Hyman, an MD of Functional Medicine has a great program out called The Diabesity Prescription that really is a balanced approach to eating and he has helped diabetics change their lifestyle and diet and reduce or eliminate their meds. If you google him, you can get really good info on his website. We read his program and did our best to follow it and I think that was a turning point for our hypoglycemia. I believe that the intermittent fasting (8 Hour Diet) was the process that reset the insulin receptors and supported the fat burning.

Hope this isn't too wordy. I never can tell if anyone is really interested.

LW888
Old 06-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Veteran member

Kitty, I think there are a few different groups that focus on different aspects. We are only in town for about 12 weeks in the Spring and Fall so I tend to stick with my Ukelele and Clogging when I am in TV. Wed morning at Lake Miona there is an energy/meditation group that may have some interesting speakers and there are a couple of groups that talk about healthy choices. Haven't looked into the Rec News lately so I don't know if any new groups have started.

Maybe a group of us could get together over lunch at Crispers and talk, if anyone is so inclined. That could work for me. It is hard to know who is in TV permanently and who is in and out, but if there are those out there that might like to join us in the fall maybe we could start and see where that takes us. Just a thought.

Or maybe others know of a group that is along the lines of this thread and can tell us about it.

LW888
Old 06-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Sage

lightworker, you and your dear hubby (DH?) sound like a couple many of us would like to meet....i am just starting to try to change my diet so perhaps by fall i will actually be able to join you at crisper's and discuss this with some knowledge....thanks....
Old 06-25-2013, 03:05 AM
Sage

I'd like a meeting too...
Kitty
Old 06-25-2013, 06:49 AM
Veteran member

Sounds like a plan! I'll let you know when we get in to TV and then we can find a mutually agreeable time to connect and talk. Always pleasant to talk with people on a similar path or those interested in investigating a new approach.

Our life journey has taken us down many roads that seem to have converged in the last few years. DH is hauling out books that he was reading 30 years ago and discovering new meaning and more ahas. The landscape gets fuller and clearer even though we are going around the same mountain. Now that we both have had cataracts removed the vista is even brighter on many levels!

LW888
Old 06-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Veteran member

Lightworker, how does the diet affect your cholesterol levels, or do you not eat the higher-fat foods that are recommended?

I don't necessarily believe high cholesterol is such an all-fired dreadful thing (and also that drugs to artifically lower it don't address the root of the problem), but my cardiologist and GP would vehemently disagree.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Sage

Here are some of my impressions after reading the link:

It states the premise is to starve cancer cells by restricting carbohydrates because carbs turn into glucose and it is glucose that feeds cancer. By lowering glucose levels the Ketogenic diet claims you can starve cancer into "oblivion".

In that case, you would also be starving your brain into oblivion becasuse your brain needs glucose to function properly. You can't have it both ways, if you're starving one you're starving the other too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Mercola mentions "high quality protein" but doesn't define it.

Sugar Restriction: I'm all for it. I don't eat anything with added sugar. But this is what most people are against. They usually say it's no fun and call for "all things in moderation".

He describes intermittent fasting as "eating less of everything, period." No grain and no sugar basically means no baked goods, pizza, pasta etc. So what's left? Vegetables, fruit, nuts, legumes and seeds. Telling people to eat less of everything means eating less of all the healthy foods too, starting with vegetables. It doesn't make sense.

Eat less protein: The doctor suspects that protein may play a role in promoting cancer. Does this mean he read The China study?

The doctor recommends eating plenty of good quality fats for energy. If you don't eat grain you need to get your calories from somewhere. That's fine but it represents a contradiction to calorie restriction. Fat is the most calorie dense food of any food.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ristricting Grain: It's doubtful that restricting grain will prevent cancer. The Okinawan elders eat 7 servings of grain per day. That makes up 32% of their diet by weight. Americans eat about 11%. The Okinawans eat far more grain than Americans yet have far less cancer, about 3 to 4 times less. I don't believe in eating 7 servings of grain per day like the Okinawan elders (I eat 3 servings per day). Seven servings of grain per day is extreme, in my opinion, but it's also extreme to eliminate it.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Veteran member

Hi, I'm doing the Ketogenic diet right now and would LOVE to meet up with others. Did this meeting ever get off the ground?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Veteran member

We are now in TV and I am still doing the 8 hr eating plan.. We got sidetracked because of DH and some complications with his cataract op but things are slowly working themselves out. If some of you still want to mmeet to tallk about this "lifestyle" change I would be happy to meet and talk. Let me know and maybe we can meet at crispers and chat..

LW888

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.