Another interesting article for some

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Here are some of my impressions after reading the link:

It states the premise is to starve cancer cells by restricting carbohydrates because carbs turn into glucose and it is glucose that feeds cancer. By lowering glucose levels the Ketogenic diet claims you can starve cancer into "oblivion".

In that case, you would also be starving your brain into oblivion becasuse your brain needs glucose to function properly. You can't have it both ways, if you're starving one you're starving the other too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Mercola mentions "high quality protein" but doesn't define it.

Sugar Restriction: I'm all for it. I don't eat anything with added sugar. But this is what most people are against. They usually say it's no fun and call for "all things in moderation".

He describes intermittent fasting as "eating less of everything, period." No grain and no sugar basically means no baked goods, pizza, pasta etc. So what's left? Vegetables, fruit, nuts, legumes and seeds. Telling people to eat less of everything means eating less of all the healthy foods too, starting with vegetables. It doesn't make sense.

Eat less protein: The doctor suspects that protein may play a role in promoting cancer. Does this mean he read The China study?

The doctor recommends eating plenty of good quality fats for energy. If you don't eat grain you need to get your calories from somewhere. That's fine but it represents a contradiction to calorie restriction. Fat is the most calorie dense food of any food.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ristricting Grain: It's doubtful that restricting grain will prevent cancer. The Okinawan elders eat 7 servings of grain per day. That makes up 32% of their diet by weight. Americans eat about 11%. The Okinawans eat far more grain than Americans yet have far less cancer, about 3 to 4 times less. I don't believe in eating 7 servings of grain per day like the Okinawan elders (I eat 3 servings per day). Seven servings of grain per day is extreme, in my opinion, but it's also extreme to eliminate it.
I'm not going to address everything you said because I simply don't have time. You're first assumption is flat out wrong the brain can also use ketone's for energy Ketone bodies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I don't think Wikipedia is the best source for information but it was fast and I just don't have time to dig into Ovid or PubMed to link articles on the subject at this point.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
I'm not going to address everything you said because I simply don't have time. You're first assumption is flat out wrong the brain can also use ketone's for energy Ketone bodies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I don't think Wikipedia is the best source for information but it was fast and I just don't have time to dig into Ovid or PubMed to link articles on the subject at this point.
Yes, the brain can use ketone's for energy in an emergency, but it was not intended for extended periods of time. I only used the word "oblivion" because he used it. If the brain is not starved into oblivion (as you suggest) then perhaps cancer is not starved into oblivion either. My point was: "You can't have it both ways."

Ketosis is "flat out" not the best way for the body to operate.

My link didn't work so just search the following: Ketones, Ketosis and Ketogenic diets

The first paragraph will tell you that this diet is only intended for short periods of time, typically 14 days. It states that long periods of time can cause serious damage to liver and kidneys.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Yes, the brain can use ketone's for energy in an emergency, but it was not intended for extended periods of time. I only used the word "oblivion" because he used it. If the brain is not starved into oblivion (as you suggest) then perhaps cancer is not starved into oblivion either. My point was: "You can't have it both ways."

Ketosis is "flat out" not the best way for the body to operate.

My link didn't work so just search the following: Ketones, Ketosis and Ketogenic diets

The first paragraph will tell you that this diet is only intended for short periods of time, typically 14 days. It states that long periods of time can cause serious damage to liver and kidneys.
You are confusing diabetic ketosis and nutritional ketosis the difference is the persons ability to make insulin. Diabetic ketosis is life-threatening, nutritional ketosis is healthy and is in fact "flat out" the best way for the body to operate including long term. However anyone considering a life changing nutrition or exercise change should consult their doctor and not listen to anyone on an internet forum
Old 10-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
You are confusing diabetic ketosis and nutritional ketosis the difference is the persons ability to make insulin. Diabetic ketosis is life-threatening, nutritional ketosis is healthy and is in fact "flat out" the best way for the body to operate including long term. However anyone considering a life changing nutrition or exercise change should consult their doctor and not listen to anyone on an internet forum
There's no confusion. The report I directed you to was written by a doctor. And he warned that long term ketosis can cause severe damage to liver and kidneys. There was no distinction made between diabetic ketosis and nutritional ketosis. When nitrogen and ketones are released into the blood stream, a burden is placed on the kidneys, whether you have diabetes or not.

If someone is doing this short term (under a doctor's supervision) to lose weight, that's one thing. But this thread is not about that. I believe this thread is about long term ketosis to prevent or treat cancer. And long term it puts a burden on the kidneys and liver, especially when you consider that most elderly people are already taking multiple drugs.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.