back surgery

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2011, 08:01 PM

Thanks to everyone who answered my question about Dr. Spurrier. You both made me feel much much better. Thanks for the good luck wishes
Old 11-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Smile

Thank you for responding to my question. It has made me feel so much better. Thanks for the good wishes
Old 11-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Thumbs up Back surgery

Thank you all so much for posting the information on the board regarding back surgery in the area. When you're new, you're not sure who is good and who isn't, so you've all really helped a great deal. Thanks again!
Old 09-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Question Back surgery

Has anyone had back surgery with Dr. Bono (gulfcoastspineinstitute) ?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I have had three back surgeries by two of the top spine surgeons in the country. I also got to know them and several other docs on a more personal basis because of my business.
From what they told me, a laser is simply another cutting tool not much different than a scalpel. True, it can make a little bit finer cut but the docs that I know have told me they can do the same things with a scalpel. All of my surgeries were considered minimally invasive procedures and were done with a scalpel. After the first, I was kept over night in the hospital. Following the last two, the second of which was pretty complex, I was released a few hours after the surgery.
Don't get sucked in by the word laser. It's only another tool. They still have to cut you open and fix whatever is wrong in there.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:16 AM
Veteran member
Default Rare that I have the chance to get on TOTV ...

... but I felt that this subject is important enough to offer my experiences that stem from the "philosophy" of my particular neurosurgeon who has operated on my back three times (and has suggested that there is the potential for more surgeries, given the condition of my spine...). He is not local and is one of the few doctors that I would unhesitatingly travel to for treatment.

His premise is that he "does not operate based on pain but rather based on deficit." He feels that "pain" that cannot be linked to a specific, measurable physical issue that is correctible with surgery should result in surgery. That he leaves to pain management. In other words, he is not knife-happy and recognizes that there are no promises when it comes to back surgery—and that any neurosurgeon that says that there are "guarantees" is one that needs to be seriously questioned.

The first time he operated on me, I had developed foot drop that was so subtle that I was barely aware of it; it was the pain that resulted from a disc that had spontaneously exploded, a fragment of which had lodged in my spinal cord at the point that the sciatic nerve exits. Immediately after surgery, he came in to see me in the recovery room and demonstrated to me that he could no longer pull my foot down, as he had been able to do only hours before.

The second time, I had had no pain, but I could not lift even a telephone receiver with my left hand. Immediately after surgery, he let me briefly lift a heavy item, just to show him—AND myself—that I could. This surgery involved a cervical fusion, the substitution of cadaver bone for the disc that was completely deteriorated, and the insertion of a plate held in place by four screws.

The third time my mobility had become limited, and he operated to clean out facet (sp?) joints, which resulted in the comparative ease with which I was now able to move and twist.

In all three cases I was discharged from hospital the day following surgery; I was given prescriptions for pain meds which I never had to use. And today, the successes of the first two operations show that the positive results have been and are permanent; for the third, the facet joints continue to deteriorate, though I doubt I'll go through the surgery again but rather will just live with it. Though WE tend to focus on the neurological pain, here's a surgeon whose approach—NOT based on pain—has consistently worked well. Perhaps THIS approach is worth any patient's discussing with her or his neurosurgeon prior to considering surgery....
Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Default Laser Spine Institute

My husband and I went to one of the Saturday seminars in Tampa - just a few weeks ago. They told him in the 15 minute consultation that 'Yes' we can take care of your problem (which they said were two pinched nerves in the L4-5 area). The seminar was informative, that is, it was a presentation by a fabulous salesman with many degrees. They really wanted to schedule him asap and take approximately $20k since Medicare and BlueShield really don't approve their services. That should have been a key. So we did a lot of research after coming home and found that their malpractice experience was twice the average.

We then went to see Dr. Spurrier at the Sharon Morse Building, who informed my husband that under NO circumstances should he let anyone open him up. We were told that he does not have pinched nerves, because if he did they would cause a numbness in his lower leg, not his thigh. Another provider was recommended for my husband...someone whom he felt would better serve us. That said a lot for this surgeon. Kudos to him.

Do your homework. Read the reviews...check credentials.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:20 PM

My personal advise, would be too get a second opinion before having back surgery..
Old 09-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marykess1802 View Post
BTW...do not have this done at The Villages Hospital. They wanted a down payment up-front, even though I have excellent insurance (CHAMPVA). When I decided to forgo the surgery, they still kept my down payment (almost $2500) until my insurance paid for my pre-ops. Then they told me that it would take "6-8 weeks" for my reimbursement. Funny, they took my $$$ in about 60 seconds, but it takes 6-8 weeks for a reimbursement?? I'm still waiting for my reimbursement 2 months later (while paying interest in on my CC). Caveat Emptor!
GOOD LUCK to all of us!
Paying ahead was not our experience!!!! I think it probably depends on the insurance (we have Medicare and a supplement) that one carries! We didn't see ONE bill from anyone from the emergency surgery. This included an ambulance ride, the ER=Twice, and 4 days in the hospital. Had home-health post-op as well. Not one bill!!
Old 10-03-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhillsgirl View Post
My husband and I went to one of the Saturday seminars in Tampa - just a few weeks ago. They told him in the 15 minute consultation that 'Yes' we can take care of your problem (which they said were two pinched nerves in the L4-5 area). The seminar was informative, that is, it was a presentation by a fabulous salesman with many degrees. They really wanted to schedule him asap and take approximately $20k since Medicare and BlueShield really don't approve their services. That should have been a key. So we did a lot of research after coming home and found that their malpractice experience was twice the average.

We then went to see Dr. Spurrier at the Sharon Morse Building, who informed my husband that under NO circumstances should he let anyone open him up. We were told that he does not have pinched nerves, because if he did they would cause a numbness in his lower leg, not his thigh. Another provider was recommended for my husband...someone whom he felt would better serve us. That said a lot for this surgeon. Kudos to him.

Do your homework. Read the reviews...check credentials.
Who was the other provider? Was the treatment helpful?
Old 10-05-2013, 04:06 PM

Before you get cut on try Anatabloc, only sold at GNC, for 60 days. A little pricey, but it worked on people I know and saved me from surgery. Haven't felt this good in years.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.