Bare - How is the knee surgery doing?

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Bare - How is the knee surgery doing?

How about an update on how you are doing with the knee surgery? Hopefully, the pain is much less this week.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-25-2013, 06:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
How about an update on how you are doing with the knee surgery? Hopefully, the pain is much less this week.
Thanks for asking. I'm replying with details because i know there are lots of people considering this surgery. I just keep thinking i must be the world's biggest wimp. Because thousands of the surgeries are done daily. However I've heard that a knee replacement is one of the most painful surgeries ever, and I would sure agree with that.

For me, it's now two weeks after a knee replacement. I had my 30 knee staples removed today. After my surgery on July 10, and after the spinal freezing wore off, the first few days were unbelievably painful. Just something you never want to remember. I hate taking drugs, but we were told they are imperative, because without pain drugs, you just wouldn't be able to bear the Physio. Which must be done regularly or scar tissue will form. The challenges are definitely pain management and frequent exercises. And of course dealing with the side effects of prescription pain Meds. I was under the perception that if I took my prescribed pain Meds, that i'd be pain free. Lol. Not true. There is pain 24/7, even with OxyContin or Dilaudid. But the medication does take the edge off to allow sleeping and Physio.

My Physiotherapist says I'm doing great, but I feel like a wet paper towel. I can walk unassisted, slowly, like Frankenstein. But I would never walk around unassisted because if I should trip, it could be a disaster. In two weeks, my knees have gotten incredibly stronger as the swelling decreases, and the joints mend. The bending is the hardest part, and the most painful. Fireboy is a poster boy for patience and helps with my exercises. I'm in Canada, but you can probably hear me shrieking in Florida "It just won't bend anymore". And then Fireboy bends it another inch further! It's a tough job being a caregiver, and I have nothing but admiration for people who do it full time.

So, two weeks after surgery, I wouldn't recommend a knee replacement it to anyone! But I'm told that in another month, I'll be very happy I did it, and that I'll be recommending it to friends. And in six months I'll be golfing in The Villages, and my knee will feel normal. O Happy Day!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:41 AM
Sage

God bless you, friend. I have another friend who is single and nearly 71 and she had double knee replacement in December. She was walking the next day and was playing shuffleboard again within three months. It was amazing to watch her progress and to see how much the surgery relieved her pain. She is like a new person. I sincerely hope you have miraculous results.

Oh, btw. She had the continuous passive motion machines on her knees immediately after surgery, when she was in rehab and at home. Are you using that apparatus?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
God bless you, friend. I have another friend who is single and nearly 71 and she had double knee replacement in December. She was walking the next day and was playing shuffleboard again within three months. It was amazing to watch her progress and to see how much the surgery relieved her pain. She is like a new person. I sincerely hope you have miraculous results.

Oh, btw. She had the continuous passive motion machines on her knees immediately after surgery, when she was in rehab and at home. Are you using that apparatus?
Thanks for the good wishes. It's comforting to hear stories of good outcomes.

I'm not using a Passive Motion Machine. My Orthopedic Surgeon is very adamant that he's not a fan. I think perhaps his thinking is that a PMM will make you lazy and unwilling to do the manual Physio. I like the concept of a PMM myself and almost rented one for a month. But I needed a prescription from my Ortho, and that wasn't possible. I'm working very hard at my manual exercises and they hurt like hell. Ouch!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Thanks for the good wishes. It's comforting to hear stories of good outcomes.

I'm not using a Passive Motion Machine. My Orthopedic Surgeon is very adamant that he's not a fan. I think perhaps his thinking is that a PMM will make you lazy and unwilling to do the manual Physio. I like the concept of a PMM myself and almost rented one for a month. But I needed a prescription from my Ortho, and that wasn't possible. I'm working very hard at my manual exercises and they hurt like hell. Ouch!
WOW, sorry to hear your NOT using the machine. I stayed in my machine with both knees and increased the range when needed. Its not about laziness it about keeping that knee from stiffing up. No wonder its so painful without a machine I couldn't have done it. Hang in there!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NEWCOMER View Post
WOW, sorry to hear your NOT using the machine. I stayed in my machine with both knees and increased the range when needed. Its not about laziness it about keeping that knee from stiffing up. No wonder its so painful without a machine I couldn't have done it. Hang in there!
How long did you use the machine? How many days after surgery did you use it? I haven't completely abandoned the idea. I'm seeing my Surgeon July 29. I will ask him then why he doesn't like the machine. Maybe I should insist on a prescription. I wonder if a PMM would still be of value? My surgery was July 10.

I realize the PMM isn't about laziness. I agree that keeping flexible is the key. I think I'm bending around 96 right now (I'm not sure if that number makes any sense!). I'm sure I could find a doctor somewhere to write up a Req.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:49 AM

Barefoot, I am so sorry to hear of your pain. I experienced no pain with the surgery. Had femor block, which lasted 2 days. Only med I took was vicoden. Had PM machine imediately after surgery and had one at home. Used it for 2 hours 3 X day. Ice machine as much as possible. Walking without a cane after 2 weeks and driving (left knee). The PM machine makes it easier to do excercises, loosens everything up. The Flex is the only thing that was really painful. They will force it to around 125-130. Three months and I feel like a new woman. If you need the other knee done, I would look for another ortho. You should not be in that much pain. A excercice bike i think is a must, really loosens things up. Massaging the scar area is good. Too late for PM. I have a 5 inch, barely noticable scar. All stitches were disolivable and glued. Had nothing removed.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran member
Thumbs up

Barefoot, I too used a PMM with both knees (done 3 years apart). I can tell you that the pain will get less and less each week as time goes by. The problem with pain meds is that we lay people have a tendency to wait until the pain is so bad that we force ourselves to take it. Unfortunately, they need to be taken on a regular basis for the first 3-4 weeks so as to prevent the most pain. I feel bad that I didn't tell you this sooner. Keep up the good work. It is so helpful to have a cooperative spouse that is willing to help. Mine is a retired RN who was most helpful at all times including explaining the use of pain meds to me. Hang in there.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Gold member

Barefoot, I certainly feel your pain because two weeks ago while traveling to my summer retreat in the mountains, I tripped over a gas pump hose and was thrown to the cement and shattered my left kneecap. I too was in severe pain until I was finally released from the ER and got to a drug store for pain medication.

It’s interesting to note that therapy for this type of injury is exactly the opposite of yours. Because the knee cap (patella assists the leg muscles to bend the knee, doing so would cause separation of the break (with severe pain) and prevent healing.

So in my case I have to wear an ankle to thigh knee immobilizer that prevents the knee from bending. Since the patella is not a weight bearing bone, as long as the immobilizer is on tightly, I can get around with little pain. However, driving the car and using the lavatory presents a whole new set of obstacles.

Recovery will be 6-8 weeks, oh joy.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:15 PM

A lot of people recommend Dr. Duke. Does he recommend the use of the PM machine?

If so, I am sure he tells you where to go to get one.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodie View Post
A lot of people recommend Dr. Duke. Does he recommend the use of the PM machine?

If so, I am sure he tells you where to go to get one.
Dr Duke does recommend the use of PM machine, and they take care making sure its delivered to house, on same day you come home from hospital. Plus Dr Duke does not use staples or stitches, which is comforting when going back on your 2 week appointment. Therapists also come to home.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Default Passive Movement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
How long did you use the machine? How many days after surgery did you use it? I haven't completely abandoned the idea. I'm seeing my Surgeon July 29. I will ask him then why he doesn't like the machine. Maybe I should insist on a prescription. I wonder if a PMM would still be of value? My surgery was July 10.

I realize the PMM isn't about laziness. I agree that keeping flexible is the key. I think I'm bending around 96 right now (I'm not sure if that number makes any sense!). I'm sure I could find a doctor somewhere to write up a Req.
I woke up from the operation and my knee was in the machine. I was in the Hostipal for three day and stay on that machine except for therapy. I used mine for ten weeks. If I was laying down my knee was in the machine. I'd fall asleep with knee in the machine. I didn't have problems with swelling. I don't have a clue about the ice machine because I didn't use one. I had a home nurse come to me because I was on blood thinning medicine. I had home therapy 3x week for 6-8 weeks. I had exercises I had to do 3x a day. I was restricted from riding in an automobile for 8 weeks. Therapist would encourage me to bend the knee as far as I could. She would measure weekly to see if I was improving my range. Therapist had an acceptable range after 8 weeks that I needed to reach. Therapy is the real deal BUT I was ALWAYS medicated. Immediatly after therapy it was NAP TIME! Surgeon are different but it is all about passive movement! Good Luck!
Old 07-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Gold member

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Old 07-25-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
Dr Duke does recommend the use of PM machine, and they take care making sure its delivered to house, on same day you come home from hospital. Plus Dr Duke does not use staples or stitches, which is comforting when going back on your 2 week appointment. Therapists also come to home.
They do use stitches on the inside which disolve over time and they glue the top layers of the skin together.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:33 AM
Sage

Bare, I also wish you a speedy recovery, and hopefully the pain will start going away pronto. And you are not the biggest wimp in the world -- that would be me.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.