Beware of The Villages Urgent Care if you have UHC The Villages HMO

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Default Beware of The Villages Urgent Care if you have UHC The Villages HMO

I visited The Villages Hospital Urgent Care in August and paid a $40 copay for the facility. They have no doctors, and only PA's staff that center. I recently received a bill for an additional $30 copay. The Villages Regional Hospital billed UnitedHealthcare for the services of the PA separately. I called UHC and they said the hospital could bill that way, but any other Urgent Care center in this area, or in other parts of the country, would only charge the $30 or $40 copay (depending on whether or not they are contracted with UHC.) It's not amount of money, but the deceptive way the Hospital has billed that upsets me. The Villages Hospital Urgent Care has now moved into the hospital building, and I can guarantee they will be billing the same way. So it's a total of $70 copay for the TVRH urgent care, and at the most, $40 for any other urgent care. FYI.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Gold member

There are many places that try that double billing. When it happens we go right to the United Health Store in The Villages to have it checked out. Most of the time it is in error and we get a refund. Sometimes, it is done innocently and lack of experience of the billing person.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
Sometimes, it is done innocently and lack of experience of the billing person.
Probably always in their favor though.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Probably always in their favor though.
So called mistakes, are always in their favor.....mistakes??...HA HA!!!
Old 12-19-2014, 12:37 AM

I have UHC MCARE HMO plan at Santa Barbara. I had uh pop till McRae kicked in.
I had labs done and they tried top charge me a 20 copayment for the bloodletting.
I said no way. They said WAY.
It is considered a minor medical encounter as my bp and pulse were done along with my weight. NONSENSE!!!!! This is ugly. When I pointed out why I refused to pay, " that's why we have you do this form"
Never got one and would refuse anyway.
GO TO LABCORP OR OUTSIDE VENDOR OR YOU WILL GET BURNED. WHAT A SMARMY THING TO DO.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:04 AM
Sage

It may be UHC in general. Last year, one of my children has it and attended a hospital in OH. the hospital bills for xrays and a facility charge of $140. UHC wouldn't pay the facility charge. I just wonder how does one get xrays without going to the facility?
Old 12-19-2014, 12:03 PM
Sage
Default Another warning:

If you go to The Village's Hospital Urgent Care, you need to be sure they can handle your problem. Now that it's in the same building as the ER, it may be tempting to go to the Urgent Care if the wait time is a lot less.

If Urgent Care examines you and tells you you need to go to the ER, you will be billed for both.

Also, the write-up in the newspaper didn't say what HMOs will be accepted by the hospital's Urgent Care. I don't need to know but it would have been nice for those who live close to the hospital.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsroni View Post
I have UHC MCARE HMO plan at Santa Barbara. I had uh pop till McRae kicked in.
I had labs done and they tried top charge me a 20 copayment for the bloodletting.
I said no way. They said WAY.
It is considered a minor medical encounter as my bp and pulse were done along with my weight. NONSENSE!!!!! This is ugly. When I pointed out why I refused to pay, " that's why we have you do this form"
Never got one and would refuse anyway.
GO TO LABCORP OR OUTSIDE VENDOR OR YOU WILL GET BURNED. WHAT A SMARMY THING TO DO.
I am totally confused as to what this means. What is MCARE? Where is Santa Barbara? Where are you, actually? And what is "uh pop" and McRae?

And what form are you talking about in "that's why we have you do this form."

So... did you have to pay the copay or not?
Old 12-19-2014, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I had surgery a year ago at TV hospital. I have United Health Care J Plan. The ONLY bill we got was for the chest Xray they did which is required prior to any surgery. It seems that the Xray is a different company from the hospital. Anyway, I knew my J Plan would cover everything so I did not pay the $22 Xray bill that month, I got a collection letter from the company. I sent them a check immediately and then they returned my money when UHC paid them! First time ever this has happened. Weird ..............

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-19-2014, 04:11 PM

United Health Care Medicare Advantage is the only Medicare advantage plan that is accepted by the Villages Medical System. It is a PPO system. (Note that PPO and HMO plans are very different than Medicare Supplement Plans) if you go to one of the Doctors in the Villages Medical system and the Doctor prescribes blood tests (not x-rays or other tests), then the Doctor will try to get you to have your blood drawn right there at their facility (for your convenience of course). Then when you show up for your blood draw, the staff will ask to take your blood pressure and weigh you first. This way they can bill for an office visit and you will have to pay a copay. If they just draw the blood there is no copay! SO, either refuse to have your BP and weight measured, or just say you'll go to an outside lab to have your blood drawn. There will be no copay at the outside lab, because it is not a medical office visit.
Be Aware!
Old 12-19-2014, 05:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
United Health Care Medicare Advantage is the only Medicare advantage plan that is accepted by the Villages Medical System. It is a PPO system. (Note that PPO and HMO plans are very different than Medicare Supplement Plans) if you go to one of the Doctors in the Villages Medical system and the Doctor prescribes blood tests (not x-rays or other tests), then the Doctor will try to get you to have your blood drawn right there at their facility (for your convenience of course). Then when you show up for your blood draw, the staff will ask to take your blood pressure and weigh you first. This way they can bill for an office visit and you will have to pay a copay. If they just draw the blood there is no copay! SO, either refuse to have your BP and weight measured, or just say you'll go to an outside lab to have your blood drawn. There will be no copay at the outside lab, because it is not a medical office visit.
Be Aware!
I like to learn new info and now I have. Thank you.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.