Building superbugs

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Veteran member
Default Building superbugs

With all the talk of superbugs in our hospitals and community facilities, I wonder what we will all do when the next pandemic hits. Traditionally, we encourage handwashing, covering mouths and noses with sneezes and coughing, avoiding contact with sick people, etc.. But now, many people also use hand-sanitizers, antibacterial soaps, and antibacterial wipes, etc. These products have the same effect as antibiotics, helping to make bacteria immune to killings agents. I've read that a certain percentage of children who have been raised using these products, and who don't get exposed to playing in dirt or with animals, where normal bacteria live, increasingly have impaired natural immunity to these organisms.

When the next pandemic hits, what will we do then? We are helping to build these superbugs. I have used antibacterial gel at times, such as airports, but don't use them at home at all, or with my grandchildren. What do you do in your lives? I'm curious what others think and practice in their lives.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm with Gracie on this one -- a little dirt is good for the soul and the body. My grandson was in shock when he found out no gel at my house, just good ole old-fashioned soap. Had a talk with my daughter about it and, hopefully, she's going to let our little monster get dirty and not be so worried about germs. I've always thought we were getting too clean and that it would ultimately bite us in the rear -- our body needs to come in contact with bacteria to learn how to fight it.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Sage

We don't use gel sanitizers at home, but have hand soap at every sink and we wash our hands. But knowing how noses are......

Outside the house, it's pretty common for people to be wiping their nose or blowing it, (and some wad up the disgusting cloth hankie and put it in their pocket to keep dragging it out for re-use, instead of using disposable kleenex)....and then people immediately grab doorknobs, shopping cart handles, telephones, stair rails, etc. that we come along and use too.

Hand washing and sanitizing is extremely important and should not be minimized:
New York State Dept. of Health:

Keep Your Hands Clean

Your hands may look clean, but they have germs on them that could make you or someone else sick. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Wash your hands often with soap for 20 seconds or use alcohol-based hand rub to protect yourself from germs and avoid spreading them to others.

Soap or alcohol-based hand rub kills the flu virus. When water is not available, alcohol-based hand rubs may be used. It's especially important to clean your hands:

After wiping or blowing your nose or coughing or sneezing;
After using the bathroom;
After being in contact with or being near someone who is ill;
After touching handrails, doorknobs, telephones or other things handled by many people;
Before and after eating or drinking;
Before handling food, especially ready-to-eat foods like salads and sandwiches; and
After handling garbage or trash.

This is How Germs Spread... It's Sickening!
Old 11-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I'm with Gracie on this one -- a little dirt is good for the soul and the body. My grandson was in shock when he found out no gel at my house, just good ole old-fashioned soap. Had a talk with my daughter about it and, hopefully, she's going to let our little monster get dirty and not be so worried about germs. I've always thought we were getting too clean and that it would ultimately bite us in the rear -- our body needs to come in contact with bacteria to learn how to fight it.
I never thought of dirt as good for the soul too...I quite like that idea. You and Gracie always have interesting thoughts, and oh so amusing!
Old 11-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Sage

I thought clean hands were good for the soul. Remember the saying: Cleanliness is next to godliness.

Anyway, about 50% of the time I only wash my hands with plain water. The other 50% of the time, I use ivory soap. Too much washing with soap can cause your skin to become dry and irritated.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.