Cataract Surgery Meds

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2014, 04:14 PM
Platinum member
Default Cataract Surgery Meds

I had my cataract surgery pre-op consult today, and it seems I have some choices.
For the Anti-inflammatory; ILEVRO or PROLENSA
For the Antibiotic; BESIVANCE or OFLOXACIN
No other health problems and all seem to be covered by my insurance, BCBS.
Would anyone recommend one over the other, or any preferences due to good/bad outcomes?
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I had my right eye done on 8/12 and I go in for my left eye this Thursday. I have no choices, I take what the VA gives me, after reading the other post I can't complain since I only pay $8 a drug.

Three days before the surgery I start using Moxifloxacin 0.5% and Ketorolac Tromethamine 0.5%, one drop each 4 times a day. I started my left eye today since surgery is Thursday.

The morning of the surgery when you wake up put in a couple of drops of Cyclopentolate Hydrochloride, that's to help to start to dilate your eye. I had no problem driving, it had very little effect on me but they said when I got there it had worked.

After surgery you continue with the two drugs you started three days before surgery and add a third drug Prednisolone Acetate, that's for infection, that's also one drop 4 times a day.

Continue those drugs for one week and then see the doctor for your post op. Then you can stop taking the Moxifloxacin, continue the Ketorolac until it runs out, and keep using the Prednisolone but one less drop each week. For example 3 times a day, then 2 times a day and then 1 time a day.

I hope all that isn't too confusing. I had no problem with any of the drugs. I believe it's the Moxifloxacin that stings a little, so I would put it in first so the second drug would dilute the sting. You'll know after you take them all once.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:24 PM
Default Cataract surgery meds

John I am going to have to have this done in both eyes soon. I wear glasses for very nearsightedness. When they correct the one eye how do you see out of the other eye thats not done yet? The corrected eye does not need the glasses but the other does? Thank you in advance for any response.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Default Cataracts

I was also very nearsighted. After my right eye was corrected for distance, My MD gave me contacts for the other eye. That actually turned out to be very useful. He gave me two different lenses: one corrected my left eye for distance and the other corrected it for computers. So I got to experiment to see whether I wanted both eyes alike or different ( also called monovision). Turned out the contact that corrected me for computers worked great. So I had him put that power lens in my left eye. My brain is able to make the adjustment for the different focal lengths of the two eyes. Now, for the first time in 50 years, I don't need glasses.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerbaby View Post
John I am going to have to have this done in both eyes soon. I wear glasses for very nearsightedness. When they correct the one eye how do you see out of the other eye thats not done yet? The corrected eye does not need the glasses but the other does? Thank you in advance for any response.
Strange, I asked my ophthalmologist pretty much the same question. He said you could pop out the lens in your eyeglasses for the eye that had the surgery, which may or may not help a lot, but you pretty much have to muddle through the period between surgeries. My pre-op surgical consultant said it would probably be better to only use the un-operated eye for reading, until both eyes were done. Driving would probably not be a problem between surgeries (I'm far-sighted).
Yeah, muddle through sounds about right.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Default Cataract surgery meds

Thank you both for the input. At least I have an idea what they may do.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:04 PM
Platinum member

Talked to the pharmacist at my primary medical care center. He says the reason for the selections offered is that insurance companies may cover one drug and not the other.
So..not a good drug vs not so good drug for the patient. A little extra work for the pharmacist to determine best coverage and not a cause for concern.
Nice to know.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerbaby View Post
My eyes were only 20/40 before, so they weren't that bad, but I did have problems following my golf ball and sometimes in softball. After the one eye was done, I now know why. By comparing the new eye, all the whites are so much brighter. When I look out with my old eye, everything seems to have an amber tint. They won't do both eyes at the same time because of possible infection, leaving both eyes infected. Last week at the one week post-op, my new eye was already 20/25, so it clearer and as I said, colors are much brighter. I'm getting ready to leave now for Gainesville, getting the other eye done tomorrow. I'll be glad when think is over, no exercise for two weeks and no lifting weights for four weeks.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
He said you could pop out the lens in your eyeglasses for the eye that had the surgery, which may or may not help a lot, but you pretty much have to muddle through the period between surgeries.
I am scheduled to have my first eye done next Tuesday. I'll probably have the surgery on my second eye next summer.
I'm thinking now that I'll need two new pairs of glasses, one for this winter, and a second pair after the second surgery.

My required routine seven days prior to surgery:
Use Refresh eye drops four times a day. No eye or face makeup for seven days.
Clean eyelid twice a day with Systane Lid Wipes, then use hot compresses.
Three days prior to surgery, I start using Zymar drops four times per day.
After surgery I use Prednisolone drops.

People have told me not to sorry about the surgery, it's no big deal. But that doesn't help.
My anxiety level is through the roof.

Last edited by Barefoot; 08-27-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:32 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
OK, I now have the answer to my question about what to do between surgeries ... muddle through
I am scheduled to have my first eye done in Canada next Tuesday.
My surgeon won't schedule the second eye until the first eye has completely healed, so I may not have the surgery on the second eye until next summer.
I guess I'll be muddling through for quite a while because I don't want to interfere with our annual six months in The Villages.

My required routine seven days prior to surgery:
Use Refresh eye drops four times a day. No eye or face makeup for seven days.
Clean eyelid twice a day with Systane Lid Wipes, then use hot compresses.
Three days prior to surgery, I start using Zymar drops four times per day.
After surgery I use Prednisolone drops.

People have told me not to sorry about the surgery, it's no big deal. But that doesn't help.
My anxiety level is through the roof.
My before surgery schedule only starts one day before the surgery.
Durezol (steroid) 4 times a day (breakfast, lunch, supper, and bedtime) and the Besivance or Ofloxacin (antibiotic) twice a day (breakfast & bedtime).
On the surgery day, I'll get some Valium before the Laser, and once at the surgery center, some Versed in the vein. My surgical coordinator says I'll be "on vacation". The Laser Assist and the surgery itself are not done in the same room, or, in my case, even the same building. The Crystalens Trulign IOLs are ordered in the power the ophthalmologist calculates and a range of powers to either side (plus and minus) will be on-hand in case the Verifeye ORA indicates something different.
Still....it's a very sharp blade....and I don't have THAT many eyes to spare.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Default contavt surgery meds

Thank you John and good luck
Old 08-27-2014, 10:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I'm getting ready to leave now for Gainesville, getting the other eye done tomorrow.
Good luck John, and let us know how it goes.
Kayaker and Boomerbaby, do you have dates scheduled?
Old 08-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Good luck John, and let us know how it goes.
Kayaker and Boomerbaby, do you have dates scheduled?
My right (dominent) eye is scheduled for laser assisted surgery with the Crystalens Trulign (toric) lOL on Monday, Sept 8th. Assuming all goes well, the surgery on the 2nd eye will be on the following Monday, Sept 15th.
My out-of-pocket cost for the "premium" lens, and the laser procedure is $2459 per eye.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-28-2014, 12:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
My right (dominent) eye is scheduled for laser assisted surgery with the Crystalens Trulign (toric) lOL on Monday, Sept 8th. Assuming all goes well, the surgery on the 2nd eye will be on the following Monday, Sept 15th.
My out-of-pocket cost for the "premium" lens, and the laser procedure is $2459 per eye.
Where are you having the surgery done?
Old 08-28-2014, 07:07 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Where are you having the surgery done?
In the cooler climes of eastern NC.
Back to FL in early November for a while, hopefully all will be healed and happy by then.
Suffering from TV envy
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.