Cataract Surgery Meds

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2014, 05:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've been back a few hours. I was first of six patients this morning, had to be their at 6am. Everything went like I expected, the only change was I apparently was under more anesthesia the first time. Today it seemed to take much longer and I felt more claustrophobic. Once they put the drape, that's what they call it, over your face and you laying flat, almost tilted with your head lower than your body. It gets more uncomfortable. The good part was, that I was only in recovery for only 30 minutes, saw the doctor three hours later and the eye was already 20/40, which he said was great. I feel about 90% normal, whereas my first eye I was in a funk for about 3 days and had to wear shades in the house. I don't even have shades on now.

He told me to just take it easy for a week, don't bend over for that time, don't lift weights for a month, and it was OK to play softball a week from Saturday on the 9/6. I'll see him again next week before then anyway, one week post-op.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Platinum member

Glad all went well, John.
You realize that you will have to get a new picture for your profile.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-28-2014, 07:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I've been back a few hours. I was first of six patients this morning, had to be their at 6am. Everything went like I expected, the only change was I apparently was under more anesthesia the first time. Today it seemed to take much longer and I felt more claustrophobic. Once they put the drape, that's what they call it, over your face and you laying flat, almost tilted with your head lower than your body. It gets more uncomfortable. The good part was, that I was only in recovery for only 30 minutes, saw the doctor three hours later and the eye was already 20/40, which he said was great. I feel about 90% normal, whereas my first eye I was in a funk for about 3 days and had to wear shades in the house. I don't even have shades on now.

He told me to just take it easy for a week, don't bend over for that time, don't lift weights for a month, and it was OK to play softball a week from Saturday on the 9/6. I'll see him again next week before then anyway, one week post-op.
Congrats, you have it behind you now. Playing ball on 9/06, outstanding!
Old 08-29-2014, 10:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
Glad all went well, John.
You realize that you will have to get a new picture for your profile.
Actually, I'll still need the glasses for reading and computer. I didn't get those fancy multi-lenses. But now I can buy sunglasses off the rack.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Default Cataract surgery meds

Great to hear John. Hope everyone else lets us know how they make out I will admit this scares me but it has to be done.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Sage

I had cataract surgery Tuesday on one eye, and I'm waiting for a date for surgery on my second eye.

Question:

My glasses are necessary for my "old" eye, but not for my "new" eye which is much improved. In the interim, between surgeries, what have others done re glasses?
Old 09-03-2014, 01:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I had cataract surgery Tuesday on one eye, and I'm waiting for a date for surgery on my second eye.
Question:
My glasses are necessary for my "old" eye, but not for my "new" eye which is much improved. In the interim, between surgeries, what have others done re glasses?
Congratulations on your new bionic eye. Hope all went well and you are doing OK. What lens did you and your surgeon decide to implant?
Suffering from TV envy
Old 09-03-2014, 09:11 PM
Default Cataract surgery meds

I just asked that question yesterday when I saw my dr. He said you can try to just go without glasses and see how you do, or pop the lens out of the eye that was done so you can still see from the one that has not been done yet. Either way the Dr. said it is a little uncomfortable for a couple of weeks but worth it.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Platinum member

I had my right(dominant) eye cataract surgery today. One Valium and some dilation and numbing drops and YES written over the right eye, and then walked (with help) into the Laser room for the laser portion of the surgery. No pain, just some pressure on the eye, lots of brightly colored lights, and finished in a very short time.
Then DW drives us to the surgery center where I go through a ton of questions and remove shoes and shirt and get a nice warm blanket. More eye drops and a sedation line inserted into a vein on the back of my hand. Didn't even feel the needle going in. Nice. Rolled into the surgery room, more bright lights and some pressure. Was awake the full time, followed all the look up, look down, look at the light, directions. After about 5 - 6 minutes everything was done, surgeon said all went well, and I'm wheeled back to the waiting area to recover a little and change back into my street clothes. Eye patch over the eye to stay on till we get back home and while sleeping or napping for a week.
Vision was very bright but blurry, and now before going to bed, the vision is getting much clearer. Back to the ophthalmologist tomorrow morning. So far so good.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 09-08-2014, 11:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerbaby View Post
I just asked that question yesterday when I saw my dr. He said you can try to just go without glasses and see how you do, or pop the lens out of the eye that was done so you can still see from the one that has not been done yet.
Boomerbaby, that would work, except my surgeon said that for a couple of weeks, it is very important that I keep something over my operated eye for protection .
That I need to protect it in case I rub it or poke myself in my operated eye.
He suggested that I continue wearing my old prescription glasses, that they wouldn't damage my "new" vision.
It's not a great solution, but I feel more comfortable with my operated eye protected.

Same as KayakerNC, I had cataract surgery on my right eye. I had my surgery Tuesday, Sept. 2.
I chose the lens my Surgeon recommended, Alcon IQ lens, $134. The Surgeon said I may need glasses for reading, but the day after the surgery, I could read without glasses.
When I arrived for the surgery, I was given a valium which really helped to calm my fears.
Just before the surgery, I received some dilation and numbing drops. I didn't have laser surgery so didn't have to do a two-part procedure.
Prior to surgery, I got two nice warm blankets.
I received enough sedation during the surgery that although I was awake, I remember nothing about the actual surgery.
Fireboy said it was very fast.
The Surgeon said all went well, and after a short time we left.
Eye patch over the eye to stay on till we get back home and while sleeping or napping for a week.
Eye to be covered for protection at all times so I wear my old prescription glasses.

I had a follow-up appointment the day after surgery. I was amazed at how well I could see and read the eye chart.
The Surgeon said it was excellent, and would get even better.
My eye has been a tad sensitive and scratchy, but no pain. And I have drops to use four times a day.

I was absolutely terrified prior to the surgery. As other have said, it really is no big deal. But the results are fabulous.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
He suggested that I continue wearing my old prescription glasses, that they wouldn't damage my "new" vision.
It's not a great solution, but I feel more comfortable with my operated eye protected.
Eye to be covered for protection at all times so I wear my old prescription glasses.
I have 2 pair of prescription glasses. One pair has the right lens removed and I use the clear safety glasses inside, and outside the Smoke safety glasses are great! (That sun is REALLY bright now without the cataract.)
Inside I also just use the older prescription glasses when I get tired of the extra weight of the safties.
The Villages Florida
Suffering from TV envy
Old 09-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Sage

Congrats to both you guys for getting your first eye done. I had those big dark glasses and wore them over my regular glasses for about the first three days while inside, especially when looking at TV. I didn't feel up to going out or driving during that time. It seemed about that long before the eye wasn't dialated any longer. By about the fourth day it wasn't as big a deal. I wore the eye patch at night also for the first 3 nights, after that it felt claustrophobic and I stopped.

It's now been 4 weeks since my right eye and 2 weeks since my left eye were done. Today I worked out at the gym with weights for the first time and went to the driving range to hit some balls in the afternoon. I'm playing golf Thursday and softball on Saturday. I'm pretty much back to normal, except putting drops in my eyes until the end of this week. I'm wearing regular off the rack sunglasses, actually they're Oakleys I bought online.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Platinum member

Hated the shield and the tape.
Got a pair of post lasik goggles, a little more pricey than the plastic shields and tape, but a lot more secure and comfortable. Foam lined for comfort and vented for air circulation.
The Villages Florida
Suffering from TV envy
Old 09-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
Hated the shield and the tape.
Got a pair of post lasik goggles, a little more pricey than the plastic shields and tape, but a lot more secure and comfortable. Foam lined for comfort and vented for air circulation.
The Villages Florida
I never thought I'd envy a pair of post lasik goggles,
but after wearing that stupid piece of plastic and tape to bed for a week, I want a pair.

John W .. Your results have been amazing. Congrats on having it behind you.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Default cataract surgery meds

Thanks everybody for the updates and glad your doing so well. Do you have to see your regular Md. and have a checkup before the surgery?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.