Cataract Surgery - No eye drops afterwards

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Default Cataract Surgery - No eye drops afterwards

I am going to have cataract surgery soon and my doctor told me that they are using a new medication during the surgery and afterwards, no eye drops are needed. Has anyone here had experience with this? I was wondering if there were side effects other than the possible floaters they said might occur but be only temporary.

Thanks -

Mary Lou
Old 08-29-2016, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Lou View Post
I am going to have cataract surgery soon and my doctor told me that they are using a new medication during the surgery and afterwards, no eye drops are needed. Has anyone here had experience with this? I was wondering if there were side effects other than the possible floaters they said might occur but be only temporary.

Thanks -

Mary Lou
That is quite a change. Where is this being done?

Having my cataracts done was much easier than I thought. I was worried I wouldn't be able to hold my eyes open when they were working on them, but they give you some kind of Kickapoo joy juice that relaxes you and bing....it's over. NO PAIN...and oh the restored vision. Amazing.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

If you have concerns about your surgery, the technique, the pre or post op requirements, the risks and long term outcomes... you should not sign the consent until you are satisfied with the information given you by the doctor (not the doctor's office staff or nurse) Informed consent means what it says. Ask your questions and do not be afraid to say you need more information or did not understand the first explanation. It is your body, your vision, and your peace of mind. If you are a bit timid and feel uncomfortable asking these questions, take a friend with you who understands your concerns and will express them for you. And if the doctor won't take the time to meet you, find another doctor.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That is quite a change. Where is this being done?

Having my cataracts done was much easier than I thought. I was worried I wouldn't be able to hold my eyes open when they were working on them, but they give you some kind of Kickapoo joy juice that relaxes you and bing....it's over. NO PAIN...and oh the restored vision. Amazing.
Wasn't the "joy juice"... they use retractors to hold the eyes open.......
Old 08-31-2016, 06:57 AM

I don't really have concerns or questions that weren't answered. It is just that this is a new method and I was wondering if others have experienced it. I am going to Lake Eye, Dr. Wehrly. I know many people who have had surgeries performed by Dr. Wehrly so I'm not concerned about his expertise. Just was feeling out others who have had surgery with this new and different method. Surgery is today (8/31/16). I'll post comments afterward to report on how everything went.

Mary Lou
Old 08-31-2016, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexes@aol.com View Post
Wasn't the "joy juice"... they use retractors to hold the eyes open.......
I was given a mild sedative that allowed me to be conscious and cooperative but relaxed. I can remember the doctor and assistant chatting and then it was over in just a few minutes.

I was very afraid that I would not be able to keep my eyes open, but that was not the case. I was afraid of anyone cutting my eye, but no pain and not like I had feared at all. I reached out on this forum and many kind people reassured me. I felt comfortable with the doctor and staff and was really impressed with the process. Dr. Armstrong at Ocala Eye is skilled,smart, warm and very patient and the people who work with her at the surgical site and here at the office are kind and helpful.

I am waiting to hear about this new process with no eyedrops afterwards from the poster.

In my procedure, there were several different kinds of drops applied for varying lengths of times and frequency. Nothing hurt or burned but it was part of pre op and post op care for two weeks, maybe more.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:03 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

I am not a doctor so I don't know if I am right about this or not, but I think there were 3 different drops prescribed for use after cataract surgery, and all 3 were for preventive reasons:

One to prevent inflammation.

One to prevent infection.

And one to keep eye pressure from spiking (which can happen, even in patients who do not have glaucoma.)

But like I said, I probably have no idea what I am talking about, but I am pretty sure those were the reasons for those drops. I have not heard of the new method and I am curious to learn more.........

(sigh) I did not answer your question. I know nothing about this new method. Only stuff, sort of, about the usual method. Please forgive my blathering.

Last edited by Boomer; 09-03-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:19 AM

I'm the original poster and here is a follow-up. I had my first cataract surgery on 8/31. I chose monovision (one eye for close-up and the other for distance). I wore monovision contacts for years and after that had monovision lasik surgery so I knew it wouldn't be a problem for me. The first surgery was for my close vision. That very first day my vision was blurry due to all the drops they put in during the surgery but by the second day it was amazing. I can see the smallest of print and everything is so sharp - like HD on your TV. I was slightly wrong in saying there were no drops post-surgery. There is one drop required each morning - Prolensa. I have to use this once a day for 4 weeks but that is all. I'm very pleased.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I have an appointment for 9/20 to get set up for cataract surgery. Oh boy.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Default cataract surgery, no drops

Quote:
I'm the original poster and here is a follow-up. I had my first cataract surgery on 8/31. I chose monovision (one eye for close-up and the other for distance). I wore monovision contacts for years and after that had monovision lasik surgery so I knew it wouldn't be a problem for me. The first surgery was for my close vision. That very first day my vision was blurry due to all the drops they put in during the surgery but by the second day it was amazing. I can see the smallest of print and everything is so sharp - like HD on your TV. I was slightly wrong in saying there were no drops post-surgery. There is one drop required each morning - Prolensa. I have to use this once a day for 4 weeks but that is all. I'm very pleased.
Mary Lou, I read your email with MUCH interest. I have been needing cataract surgery for 3 years, and have been chicken to do it. Mostly I am concerned with who would be the best doctor with MY specific problems. I had 'failed' Lasix in my right (dominant) eye, about 15 years ago (they removed too much tissue). My left eye has an awful astigmatism (when looking through it with the other eye shut, everything looks like Chinese symbols). I hear awful things about the Toric type lenses, that they aren't for everyone, but how do you know until you have it implanted? I was told once they are put in your eye, they are very difficult to remove. I also suffer from dry eye syndrome and take Restasis prescription drops daily for it. I REALLY want to have the surgery done and want the mono vision thing where I will NOT have to wear glasses to read..........but I am afraid with all my problems, I might not get those results. Any comments or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks, Rose
Old 10-03-2016, 04:52 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Cataract surgery is a piece of cake. the concern of course are any potential complications following surgery.

I can tell you that crystallization behind the eye can occur after surgery and require laser surgery. I go to my eye doc once a year just for that reason Its been two years since my surgery and so far no crystallization. I had surgery performed the old fashion way and since i never wore glasses had standard lens replacement .The surgery automatically correct any astigmatism
Old 10-24-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks -

Mary Lou
Had cataract removal, both eyes, in June, used an expensive, once a day eye drop for about 2 weeks. Was told I had dry eye, am 75 yrs. old, and should use a lubricating drop twice a day. So far, I only use a couple of times per week.
After follow up visits, with no after effects except, after some type of adjustment on the right eye, I now have a daily right temple headache for 50% of each day. Has anyone else experienced this problem.
Jerry
Old 10-24-2016, 01:21 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmack View Post
Had cataract removal, both eyes, in June, used an expensive, once a day eye drop for about 2 weeks. Was told I had dry eye, am 75 yrs. old, and should use a lubricating drop twice a day. So far, I only use a couple of times per week.
After follow up visits, with no after effects except, after some type of adjustment on the right eye, I now have a daily right temple headache for 50% of each day. Has anyone else experienced this problem.
Jerry
Jerry, experiencing a temporal pain/headache for 50% of the day could potentially, though not always, be a sign of temporal arteritis...otherwise known as giant cell arteritis.

Click here for info on Giant Cell Arteritis from the Mayo Clinic

Now, certainly, your "headache" could be many other things, but this is the most worrisome given your age and limited history you've given here. My recommendation is to see your Primary Care Physician and get two blood studies #1, a Sed Rate and #2 C-reactive protein. Those are two tests that can rather quickly rule out giant cell. Next, I would schedule a visit with your favorite local eye doctor to rule out other reasons for your headache that could be related to your eyes. Hope that helps. If you have any questions, please private message me and I'll go further in depth to find you some help if needed.
Closed Thread

Tags
surgery, cataract, eye, drops, effects

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.