Cold help

Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Cold help

I rarely get colds or the flu, so really am at a loss. I can deal with the drippy nose and other general symptoms. However, I have a horrible cough -- so bad that I end up gagging. The cough is coming from the throat, not the chest. I don't need a decongestant but do need something to stop the cough. Any suggestions?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

This is like a wonder drug. Prescription needed, the MD's are so busy now due to the flu and cold season that they'll phone it in to the pharmacy.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-20...ist-conditions
Old 12-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Eternal Member

Unfortunately the cough hangs on for awhile. Several of my friends have had this. Tons of meds, but that cough just doesn't want to go away very quick. Definitely get it checked out !

Last edited by Bonny; 12-20-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Sage

See a doctor as a persistent cough could have many causes. Could be a throat or ear infection and not necessarily a cold. Mucinex works great for a runny nose and mucus.

Maybe a pharmacist could advise you, if you don't want to go to the doctor.

Several years ago, I had a very bad cough so I took some cough medicine and it closed up my throat to the point I had difficulty breathing. Went to the doctor and found out I had an ear infection. Medication cleared it up fast.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

My doctor told me recently that there is a viral form of bronchitis going through TV. Said anti-biotics are the only thing to knock it out. See your doctor just in case.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Platinum member

if it's viral, antibiotics do nothing for it. If you can get a doctor to prescribe a codeine containing cough syrup, they work the best. but many doctors might not be willing to do it without seeing you. Other than that, over the counter cough syrup with dextromethorphan (DM) is the best you are going to do. There is a product I use called Delsym. It is a liquid, time released form of DM, and provides 12 hour relief, which is a real help when taken at night to keep you from waking up coughing. It's a little pricey but it's the one I always go to for persistent cough (retired pharmacist here.)
Old 12-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Eternal Member

I just got over a nasty cold, sore throat, coughing and phlem. It lasted nine days. I found that the night time Therma-Flu at least relaxed me and let me sleep.

I still have sore ribs from the extreme coughing.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Gold member

Be careful....this year's flu shot isn't working because of virus mutations. Many are getting flu while having had the shot.

"The [CDC] advisory sent Wednesday said 52% of the 85 influenza virus samples collected and analyzed from October 1 through November 22 were different than the virus strains included in this year's vaccine, indicating a mutation, or drift, of the strain......" CNN. 12-4-14
Old 12-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Be careful....this year's flu shot isn't working because of virus mutations. Many are getting flu while having had the shot.

"The [CDC] advisory sent Wednesday said 52% of the 85 influenza virus samples collected and analyzed from October 1 through November 22 were different than the virus strains included in this year's vaccine, indicating a mutation, or drift, of the strain......" CNN. 12-4-14

She is right. AND that virus is setting up folks for a sneaky bacterial assault. Could be asthma. Could be something that needs looked into by a very smart person.

Go someplace and see an MD. NOW. DO YOU HEAR ME? Red??????
Old 12-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,143 Times in 829 Posts

Repeat after me: Antibiotics do not treat colds. Again: Antibiotics do not treat colds

No doctor (IMO) should be calling in antibiotics for a cough, or a sore throat, or an earache etc. The overuse of antibiotics in agriculture and by patients and doctors who know better but want to make their patients happy is leading to a huge proliferation of multiple resistant bacteria. Zithomax, the "wonder drug" suggested above, is now becoming increasingly useless due to overuse. It is the drug most docs, especially ER and doc in a boxers give to everyone with anything wrong.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/820736

Acute cough (less than 3 weeks) should not be treated with an antibiotic unless you have pneumonia. Bronchitis does NOT, repeat NOT, require or benefit from antibiotic treatment as it is almost always a viral illness
http://www.cdc.gov/getsmart/campaign...gh-illness.pdf

If your cough is so severe that it causes vomiting from the intensity of cough then whooping cough should be considered. All adults should have received a recent w. cough booster but very few have gotten it. W. cough requires a very specific test and cannot be diagnosed by physical exam.

Codeine may or may not help cough, the literature is conflicted. Codeine works by depressing the central nervous system's protective response to airway irritation. It of course has a host of well known side effects including constipation and respiratory depression.

Honey has been shown to be as effective as DM (Delsym) for control of pediatric cough. Apparently the thick honey coats the tissues in the back of the throat thus protecting them from the irritation which causes the reflex coughing

1.Paul IM, et al. Effect of honey, dextromethorphan, and no treatment on nocturnal cough and sleep quality for coughing children and their parents. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine. 2007;161:1140
Old 12-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Sage

As some others said....there is a "bug" going around that is a respiratory/flu thing. I had it, it begins with a scratchy throat then goes into coughing (A LOT) and blowing. Stomach feels queasy and you have an achy, blah feeling along with it. Mine lasted about 4 weeks with the cough lasting a bit longer...mostly in the morning and evening. It's ALL from the throat up.

I did see a doctor 2X as I have a tendency towards sinus/ear issues along with bronchial (which has gone into pneumonia) in the past. With several autoimmune issues going on too, I can't be too careful. So otherwise wash hands frequently (if you've so far been missed by this) and rest helps too.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

To OP, just went through the same thing. Back in late August, caught mild cold, and the "normal" cough for -2 weeks. Except this time the cough was violent with vomiting. Went to Doctor, not much help. Went to ENT, initially minor help, then put me in a pill Singular, this is working very well. All told, took about 3 months to get rid of the cough completely, never had anything like this before.

My advise, see your doctor, and if they do not help see an ENT.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Sage

Personally, in my 73 years, I never knew anyone who died from having a cold, and over the years many friends and relatives have had colds. Of the many people I've known, they just considered it to be an inconvenience. Today with HMOs and "free" PCP visits, everyone is encouraged to run to their doctor for the least little thing. What have we become?

I haven't had a cold for about 15 or 20 years but about two months ago, I had what I call "the coughing cold." That consisted of occasional sneezing, a mild sore throat, and periodic fits of coughing. No stuffy nose. It lasted about 4 or 5 days.

Today I just got over having a different kind of cold. It lasted 4 days. This cold was of a different character. It started with a bad sore throat but that cleared up after the first day. The main problem with this cold is that I had a runny nose.

So now my immune system has been strengthened and is totally up to date.

Here's my theory about taking medication: Medication may make you feel more comfortable by covering up symptoms, but meds may also interfere with your immune system and cause your cold to last longer. And perhaps you never get complete immunity. I've known people who said they get frequent colds. I think if people would let their cold run its natural med-free course they would likely get better immunity.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
My doctor told me recently that there is a viral form of bronchitis going through TV. Said anti-biotics are the only thing to knock it out. See your doctor just in case.
If it's viral, antibiotics are contraindicated. Antibiotics will only work on a bacterial infection.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I rarely get colds or the flu, so really am at a loss. I can deal with the drippy nose and other general symptoms. However, I have a horrible cough -- so bad that I end up gagging. The cough is coming from the throat, not the chest. I don't need a decongestant but do need something to stop the cough. Any suggestions?
If you don't have a family doctor, please, go to an urgent care. Paramount on 466 is an extra good urgent care with a pharmacy onsite. Don't self-medicate with over-the-counter cold medicines. It is dangerous. Especially if you have high blood pressure or hidden high blood pressure. My mom was a diabetic and was in end stage renal failure before she passed. I cannot count how many people I talked to doing dialysis with her who had lost the use of their kidneys because of self-medicating with cold medicines.

There are warnings on the labels, but most people don't heed the warning and/or don't know they have high blood pressure. It is very dangerous.

Drink plenty of liquids and stay hydrated. Even hot steamy showers can help sooth the bronchial passages. But you need to get to the root of the problem. See a medical professional. I hope you start feeling better soon. If there is anything I can do for you, send me a PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.