Concierge Medicine

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2017, 09:56 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to the square
Default Concierge Medicine

Just got mail from our primary care doctor. He's joining some group called Qliance. It's a health care membership originating on the West coast.
The annual fee for is $750.00 per person. That's just to get your foot in the door. Your deductibles and co-pays are over and above that.
Has any one out there received a similar letter? For privacy, I'm not mentioning the doctor's name YET. I will be looking for a new primary care physician outside of the Villages Healthcare System, so if anyone can recommend one I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Old 03-30-2017, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the square View Post
Just got mail from our primary care doctor. He's joining some group called Qliance. It's a health care membership originating on the West coast.
The annual fee for is $750.00 per person. That's just to get your foot in the door. Your deductibles and co-pays are over and above that.
Has any one out there received a similar letter? For privacy, I'm not mentioning the doctor's name YET. I will be looking for a new primary care physician outside of the Villages Healthcare System, so if anyone can recommend one I'd appreciate it. Thanks
See my request for a doctor recommendation on this site today. I received the same letter and will have to find another provider. I was told that concierge medical care is the new thing to help the doctors make up the short fall from medicare payments.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-30-2017, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Ten years ago my concierge letter arrived in the Chicago area. It was from a firm in Florida with a follow up letter from the primary care physician. It was $1500 per year just for the privilege of keeping him. He said he could give better care if he only had 100 patients. And, of course, $150,000 minus commission extra in his pocket. He was getting old and looking for a golden road to retirement. Changed doctors and no further contact.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2017, 11:23 AM

Got the same note from our Dr also,a other one looking for. New doc.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 03-30-2017, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
See my request for a doctor recommendation on this site today. I received the same letter and will have to find another provider. I was told that concierge medical care is the new thing to help the doctors make up the short fall from medicare payments.
Personally, I find this trend disgusting. I feel it reinforces the notion that ALL doctors are just looking for money rather than the few that really are. For some, the freedom from the overburdening regulation by Medicare and insurance companies are the allure of concierge medicine

The first guy who did this that I know of was in Palm Beach, charged $5,000/year and limited himself to 200 patients (that's $1 million plus billing for services, no insurance accepted). The quantity of work would be limited, but I suspect he attracted nothing but rich, whiny, demanding hypochondriacs. It only takes 3 or 4 of these patients to drive you nuts, can you imagine 200 with 24/7 access? I wonder how long he lasted. Now, the entrepreneurs have taken over and there are concierge businesses run by a doctor or lawyer that hire doctors, and the only motive is profit. Sad. The good news is there are still plenty of dedicated physicians whose primary interest is patient care.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:46 AM
Dancing Thyme

I got the same letter and also am looking for a new doctor. This is very sad, but I understand it to some degree. 10 years ago I had major brain surgery and after all was said and done, I think my surgeon received about $5K for the surgery from my insurance company. I actually felt sorry for him as he did a fantastic job.

On another note, golfing eagle's recommendation of Dr. Shirley Nagel looks good to me. Although she's a distance, I may try her out, there's nothing that should stand in the way of seeing a good doctor (except $750 membership fee, of course).

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Closed Thread

Tags
care, primary, mentioning, doctors, privacy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.