Dentist problem -- help!!!

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Platinum member

Any updates on Preferred Care Partner dentists?
Old 12-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

I have sent my friends in TV to Kathleen Williams in Palm Ridge Plaza. She is absolutely wonderful and very reasonable. Her number is 352-391-9930. Palm Ridge Plaza is on CR 101 near 466 and across from Crispers.

Call first to see if she accepts Preferred Care.

I too had a horrible experience with Aspen Dental.

Good luck!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 AM

I spent my first three months here asking about dentist and calling them up and finally selected one. The next day I read that the owner was indited for insurance fraud and they closed up the place. Ended up at Serenity Dentistry in Spanish Springs. For someone who hates dentist I must say that I am very pleased with Dr. Maria Luong. Never have waited for my appointment so far and she has state of the art equipment. They will even provide some spa amenities while you are being treated.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Gold member

Just a thought...I wouldn't let my insurance company dictate my dentist. First of all, dental insurance is not insurance..it is a benefit. The company gives you something like $1000 or $1500 per year and tells you how to spend it. Many dental insurance companies will allow you to go outside of their list of providers...the only difference is you may have to pay a little more if the dentist you choose does not agree to work for the amount the company chooses to pay. These companies are forcing you to look for a dentist that works cheap. There is a difference in quality and skills between dentists, including the equipment, products and laboratories they use. The average person (trust me, I was one of them!) believes that all dentistry is the same, a filling is a filling, a root canal a root canal, a crown is a crown...this is so not true. A good, skillful, qualified dentist will save you a lot of money in the long run. Your insurance company will probably not pay if you have a crown or filling and then, a year later, find that it needs to be redone because it was not done correctly in the first place. Look for someone you can trust, talk to other people...check with that doctor and see if his office will bill your insurance company for you and if it costs you a little more pay it. Think of all the money you spend on golf balls or going out to dinner....this is your health! Remember the old saying about being penny wise and pound foolish???
Old 12-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
Just a thought...I wouldn't let my insurance company dictate my dentist. First of all, dental insurance is not insurance..it is a benefit. The company gives you something like $1000 or $1500 per year and tells you how to spend it. Many dental insurance companies will allow you to go outside of their list of providers...the only difference is you may have to pay a little more if the dentist you choose does not agree to work for the amount the company chooses to pay. These companies are forcing you to look for a dentist that works cheap. There is a difference in quality and skills between dentists, including the equipment, products and laboratories they use. The average person (trust me, I was one of them!) believes that all dentistry is the same, a filling is a filling, a root canal a root canal, a crown is a crown...this is so not true. A good, skillful, qualified dentist will save you a lot of money in the long run. Your insurance company will probably not pay if you have a crown or filling and then, a year later, find that it needs to be redone because it was not done correctly in the first place. Look for someone you can trust, talk to other people...check with that doctor and see if his office will bill your insurance company for you and if it costs you a little more pay it. Think of all the money you spend on golf balls or going out to dinner....this is your health! Remember the old saying about being penny wise and pound foolish???
Trish:

I really want to thank you for posting this as I have a choice between two Medicare Advantage plans in CT. One doesn't include dental but I have dental thru my employer. It cost more, and covers more and I can still go to my dentists the same as before.

The other will cover dental and vision with the premium coming to almost the same amount, if I dropped my employers dental. My dentist is not in their plan and would be covered out of network and the plan itself has less coverage. They say I can still go to him but I would pay more.

BTW - My company dental has two options and I took the lesser option once several years ago and encountered a dentists who didn't perform his duties very well. When I switched to the better plan, I found my present dentists.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts as I think you are right in saying about being penny wise and pound foolish. $20 more a month is not worth the hassle. Beside my dentists is almost painless and I like it that way.

What you are saying is very true!!!!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Talking

Dr. Fisher worked at Royal & Star for Dr. Gaitan prior to opening his own office. We were not pleased at all with the service we encountered at Star. We will be going to Dr. Fisher next month. We shall see, otherwise I am afraid we will have to travel to Ocala.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by captg View Post
Dr. Fisher worked at Royal & Star for Dr. Gaitan prior to opening his own office. We were not pleased at all with the service we encountered at Star. We will be going to Dr. Fisher next month. We shall see, otherwise I am afraid we will have to travel to Ocala.
I use Bushnell Family Dentistry in Bushnell. One stop they do it all, root canals, extraction, implants......

Love them
Old 12-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Default Still searching

My husband just returned yesterday from his first visit to Dr. Gaitan. We have gone to the dentist every 6 months since we were little kids! We are new to TV and Dr. Gaitan was reccommended to us. We do not have dental insurance since retiring. He left the office yesterday with a $6000 "treatment"plan in hand! Just outrageous! So our search begins again for an honest and reasonable dentist. Has anyone been to Don Burbank in Spanish Springs? We appreciate any comments or suggestions! Thanks
Old 12-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Carlos Johary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
I am a new resident; have Preferred Care dental plan and two dentists to choose from in the Villages. Has anyone ever gone to German Gaitan, DDS? Other dentist is Carlos Johary (he's in Oxford). I am looking for an excellent dentist that is affordable. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks!
I was in the chair at Johary's office with novacaine for over two hours. I fanally got up and walked out. This is not a singular experience. I was the second to walk out that day. We now go to Serenity Dental Spa. We could not be happier. Call and see if they will cut a deal with your carrier. This office is on Main street in Spanish Springs. Good luck, dental care in the villages can be a nightmare.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
I was in the chair at Johary's office with Novocaine for over two hours. I finally got up and walked out. This is not a singular experience. I was the second to walk out that day. We now go to Serenity Dental Spa. We could not be happier. Call and see if they will cut a deal with your carrier. This office is on Main street in Spanish Springs. Good luck, dental care in the villages can be a nightmare.
I hear she is a perfectionist! Heard she is tough on her employees but a very good dentist!

And to PJMCD, a $6000 treatment plan is nothing outrageous depending on what it was for! Dentistry is not cheap, let alone in the Villages! Especially without dental insurance, the dentist can then charge whatever they want compared to having a dental insurance plan and going to an in network dentist where they have to go off of the fees set by that insurance! So make sure to research what is being done and what others fees are for equal work before you blast a dentist! As well you have to consider when was the last time your spouse had any major work done or had a thorough exam? If it's been a while now they are playing "catch up." also keep in mind that alot of dentist advertise a free second opinion in the paper so always go for a different opinion if you feel the work is unwarranted. just my opinion
Old 12-13-2011, 09:38 AM

Also remember those that are having not so good experiences with PCP dentists, they are an HMO compared to those with Delta and other insurances are PPO. Ive always heard that HMO dentists are not as good as PPO dentist GENERALLY SPEAKING. That's why they are working with HMO because they can't run their practice without it and stay in business.

Again, not always, but generally that is the case!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Location: staying with sis and brother-in-law..waiting to close on house in OBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
I am a new resident; have Preferred Care dental plan and two dentists to choose from in the Villages. Has anyone ever gone to German Gaitan, DDS? Other dentist is Carlos Johary (he's in Oxford). I am looking for an excellent dentist that is affordable. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks!
I have the same problem, although I am not new to T/V, I am new to PCP Ins.I saw saw Dr.G for first time today..he found a pricey problem that ins doesn't cover...I will pay out of my pocket for 2nd opinion before I trust anyone I don't know to replace a bridge....but in the end...we don't have many alternatives...lets hope you generate some good feedback !!:
Old 06-13-2012, 06:45 AM
Sage

My only "complaint" with having PCP is that we don't have 'options' with our dentist selections. I went to Dr. Fisher on Old Camp Rd. His hygenist was thorough I'd say and friendly. I didn't see much of him...but he did a quick check in my mouth and took care of an issue I had with a tooth feeling too high. It will be interesting to see what 2012 will bring with this insurance.

I would have to say...other than our dentist AND eye selections I've been happy with PCP. Maybe if all of us with the coverage would contact the carrier with our concerns things will change. I've already made my concerns to them.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
Wow, sure wish my husband could practice in Florida...he is the best dentist in the whole world. I'm sorry that these experiences occurred and hate it when the profession is cheapened by incompetence. I assist at his office and can assure you, there is no justification in treating patients this way. (by the way, that white plastic thingy is called a saliva ejector )
I do too Trish. I wish Doc Crocker would practice here. We talked when you were here that for the first time in my life have I encountered unethical dentistry. It is buyer beware. The dentist we have chosen is very upset about the fact that dentistry in general is tarnished by the unscrupulous and unethical dentists practicing here. I wonder how the state of Florida handles these kinds of things?

I love you all and that is the reason I will tell you that Palm Dental and the two dentists there, Dr. Kathleen WillIams and Dr. Reem Jabar are the best dentists we have ever used. I probably will now not be able to get another appointment until 2020. sigh.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Gold member

You can (and should) file a complaint with the Florida Dental Board on this website if you feel you have been cheated or received substandard treatment:

Enforcing Health Care Standards - How do Disciplined Licensees Comply With Final Orders? - Medical Quality Assurance - Enforcing Health Care Standards - How do Disciplined Licensees Comply With Final Orders? - Medical Quality Assurance - Enforcing He

Bringing state board attention to these scammers may change their habits.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.