Dentist problem -- help!!!

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2012, 03:21 PM

I just went to the new dentist at Sumter Landing Dental Care...I think his name is Lumsford, or Lans.....? Not sure, but he seemed very professional. Great dental assistant, Sherry, and my husband went to Dr. Fisher and liked him. The only problem is my dentist recommended I get an evaluation by a peridontist as I have two very deep pockets on either side of my top molars. I had gotten a bone graft years ago on one side, but it really didn't do much good. The peridontist is Dr. Davis, but he is not on Preferred Care....I don't think there is one on their plan. I guess the evaluation wouldn't be too expensive. I had been going to Aspen and every time I got a cleaning they injected antibiotics into the pockets, but this dentist said that that was ineffective as a treatment. What do you think? Anyone have the same problem??
Old 06-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James
Default Bad experience

I had a bad experience at Sumter Landing Dental. Dr. Fisher told me I needed 4 crowns replaced after informing him I didn't know the history of when I got each one. My out of pocket expense was going to be $3,120.00, $780.00 per tooth. A bit confused by this, I ask how much they charged per crown. I was told $1,200.00 each. Well, since I have great insurance coverage, 80% paid by my insurance, 20% paid by me on crowns, it raised a red flag. I called my former dentist to find out the history on the specific teeth in question. Tooth #12, there was no history so that crown had to be put on prior to 2005. Ok, I'll go along with maybe that one needed replacing. Tooth #13 and #14, crowns put on in June 2008 and tooth #15, crown put on in January 2011. Needless to say, I decided NEVER to go back to Dr. Fisher. Let me also add that I go the the dentist and periodontist religiously every 3 months and have done so since 2005. If there was something wrong and my former dentist didn't pick it up, I am thinking my periodontist would have. Well, the ending to this story is I just returned to my former dentist in Tampa last week and the only thing wrong was a small chip in one crown on tooth #12. He suggested it be filled ... cost to me $0. I think from here on in, I will make the hour drive to someone I can trust.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
I am a new resident; have Preferred Care dental plan and two dentists to choose from in the Villages. Has anyone ever gone to German Gaitan, DDS? Other dentist is Carlos Johary (he's in Oxford). I am looking for an excellent dentist that is affordable. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks!
I made two appointments together (for my father and me) with Gaitan at Royal Dental. The earliest we could get in was in three months, but I made the appointment anyway since he was in my dental plan. Since we were new to TV, I was unable to provide a phone number where I could be reached, but I did stress that I was confirming the appointment right then and that we would definitely be there, and there would be no need to call me to confirm although they could write us a letter if needed. (I also offered to pay a fee if we didn't show up.) The receptionist said that was fine and that I should give them my new phone no. when we arrived.

Three months later, we arrived early for our appointment - only to find two people already in the crowded waiting room, who had been given our appointments since they were unable to call us and confirm. I told the receptionist that I had confirmed the appointments, but then she started asking me who I'd spoken to 3 months ago (I mean, don't they know who they put on at reception?), and then she said they'd given my appointments to someone else, but if I wanted to wait around for a while they'd try to fit in the X-rays for just me, on that day, and I could make other appointments and come back later.

At that point, I walked out, furious, and never went back.

I tried Fisher in Sumter, but he told me I'd need caps in all of my front teeth whenever they next needed work, and he refused to do any more fillings in them. This would be OK - except I'd never gotten them X-rayed (they kept insisting but I refused), so how could they be sure all my front teeth would require caps ?

Now, I'm going to Carolina Dentistry, up near Mission Hills. No major work done yet, but my father was very impressed with their attitude and diagnosis (he'd gotten the same diagnosis from previous dentists before we came to TV), and he plans to have his work done there.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Send a message via AIM to gg
Default dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
That would be Willard Fisher
Sumter Landing Dental Care
1050 Old Camp Rd
Ste 286
Phone 352-674-9009
I have friends who go to him.
I went to him...I was pleased with my teeth cleaning and xrays. I was told about a procedure for gaps in part of my gums for $80 and that I should have two crowns made larger so that the food would not stick in between those teeth for almost $2000. I have been going to a dentist up north for years that I trust and he never mentioned any of these things. I did not sign up for any additional work and they did not pressure me. When the crowns break then I will get new ones. Dentist was nice but do not want additional work now.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeithfan View Post
Jim I feel your pain! finding a good Dentist in the Villages is a lot of work. I've spent HOURS researching and talking to my ins co. I can tell you to absolutely stay away from Aspen and the Villages Dental. I went to Aspen and was there three hours and never got my teeth cleaned!!! After meeting with their sales and finance people was told that I needed $2,400 of antibiotics, and that was over the $3,400 they were going to soak the ins co!!! They tried to scare me by telling me I could spread disease by kissing my grand kids!!!! I have an appointment with Hallmark Dental in Fruitland Park today I'll let you know how I make out.
What didn't t you like about Village Dental? My husband was pleased with them
Old 07-06-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenAjd View Post
The is a new dentist in TV...think his name is Fischer (can't remember) who is with Preferred Care Partners. His office is on Old Camp Rd. in the new medical park across from Barnes and Noble. He has had ads in The Sun!! Good Luck in your quest!!
My wife has used Dr. Fischer....BAD NEWS! No one in the entire office knows what the other is doing. She was pushed off from one Dentist in the office to another...each one worse than the other.

Have heard nothing but horror stories from others about all Villages Dentists.
Best advice is to see your old dentist in the Hometown you're from!
Old 07-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Veteran member

Most of the dentists that sign up with carriers like PCP do so because they are not busy enough or not making enough money hence want more patients that PCP or other carriers including HMO's offer. Usually these carriers don't pay the dentists as much as they would make if they were charging a ususal and customary fee(private practice fee) so they have to see more patients to make the same amount of money. These dentists and physicians now have more patients but are making less money for more workload. Hello. Not good.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:22 PM

I have Delta Dental and go to Dr Lesh in Southern Trace...highly recommend, hygienists excellent and office very efficiently managed...
Old 07-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Default dentist

Has anyone gone to the dentist in Colony Plaza called Modern Dentistry?
Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 PM

Dr Fisher is dropping Preferred Care Partners in October. Reason, not saying but has to be money driven.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
My husband uses Dr Christianson in Leesburg and I use Dr Lesh in Southern Chase....both in the Delta Network.
FORGET Dr. Lesh. My husband used his for a denture and he has been returning for a year...he has provided substandard quality, then blamed the lab, had it remade, still doesn't fit, has cracked twice, and on and on and on. However, I understand the dental hygienist is great.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Default bad dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
I am a new resident; have Preferred Care dental plan and two dentists to choose from in the Villages. Has anyone ever gone to German Gaitan, DDS? Other dentist is Carlos Johary (he's in Oxford). I am looking for an excellent dentist that is affordable. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Stay away from this one. Very bad
Old 09-25-2013, 08:50 PM

Stay away from Gaetan German. Very bad dentist
Old 09-25-2013, 09:17 PM

Dr. Tatro in Leesburg. Very professional. Hubby really liked him. Accepted our coverage from NYC.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Platinum member

Good grief!! Been reading this thread...then realized its over 2 yrs old........
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.