Do you know where your Vitamin D3 comes from?

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
I do realize that post menopause is when women traditionally experience more joint pain........after they lose their hormones. Not wanting to take HRT due to the cancer risks involved.......I'm now wondering about this Vitamin D3 which is considered a hormone? From sheep's wool?

You may or may not know of Premarin, a hormone replacement for menopause, which is made from PREgnant MARes urINe. They keep pregnant mares in stalls unable to move because they are hooked up to catheters to capture the urine which is then processed. When they deliver, they ship the foals to slaughter, get the mare pregnant again, and start the process again. When she is too old to be useful, off she goes to slaughter. It is an awful exploitation of a horse. It never ceases to amaze me the horrid things we do to animals for our own narcissistic needs.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Default Life Extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Do you know where your Vitamin D3 comes from? If you have the patience to read all of this to the very bottom, you might be surprised as I was. Obviously, Vitamin D3 is known as the sunshine vitamin.

However, for those of us in the northern states who may not get as much sunshine from November through end of winter, supplemental vitamins are often a consideration. Floridians are fortunate in that it is pretty hard to escape natural Vitamin D3.

We, ourselves, have done nicely without vitamins, thinking that we got plenty from fruits, vegetables, dairy, meat and seafood. However, as we age, I've decided to supplement our whole foods with "Nature's Way" ALIVE 50+ multi vitamin and mineral supplement (Womans and also Mens) which are derived from 26 fruits and vegetables. The womans supports "vitality and bone health"; while the mens "Energy and prostate support".......both have the full B complex, etc., etc.

Both have no gelatin, dairy, yeast, wheat, peanuts, eggs, artificial flavors or preservatives.

They do contain :

Orchard fruits * Garden Veggies Blend * Plum, Pear, Apple, Beet, Strawberry, Cucumber, Tomato, Cranberry, Cherry, Cabbage, Carrot, Cauliflower, Blueberry, Grape, Apricot, Papaya, Orange, Pineapple, Asparagus, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Celery, Green Beans, Spinach, Pomegranate, Acai

Considering they are gummies, they do taste good.....unlike some gummies I've been told about.

So......as some would say, "What is the point?"

After taking them for one week, I began wondering what was the source of the Vitamin D3 . I emailed the company after finding their website.

I almost fell off my chair when she told me that their Vitamin D3 came from SHEEP'S WOOL.

Now, we are not vegans or vegetarians........but sheep's wool???? Yucky.

I immediately emailed her back.....inquiring if that was the same as lanolin as it was the first thing that popped into my mind. My mom always used lanolin on her skin.

Have not received a reply, however.........I did some research and found out the process by which the D3 is extruded from the sheeps' wool and I feel better about it...........it's quite a lengthy process of first boiling, etc. and then separating the lanolin, etc..........then it goes through many many stages of purification and even irradiation............before it becomes D3.

Below is her original email back to me, when I inquired as to the source of their D3. I had also inquired about Omega 3.....

Thank you for contacting Nature's Way(r)<http://www.naturesway.com/Home.aspx>, a Schwabe North America(tm) company. It is great to see that you are taking an interest in healthier living. I am happy to help you with your question regarding the vitamin D3 in the Alive!(r) Once Daily Women's 50+ and if it's the same as fish oil. Also, you were wondering what the difference is between vitamin D2 and vitamin D3 and if there is such a thing as vitamin D. This is Ultra potency, complete & diverse nutrition for women age 50+ in a convenient once daily tablet.

In supplements, vitamin D is available in two forms, D2 (ergocalciferol) and D3 (cholecalciferol). Ergocalciferol is a vegetarian form of vitamin D, cholecalciferol in our product is derived from sheeps' wool.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Here is what I found about the process of turning sheep's wool into Vitamin D3:

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2011/02/08/what-do-sheep-have-to-do-with-vitamin-d-supplements-quite-a-bit-actually-mates/

What do sheep have to do with vitamin D supplements? I learned something NEW.
Good article.

You can evaluate the quality of your supplements at ConsumerLabs.com
Old 11-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-28-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-28-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-28-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-28-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Veteran member

Yep I live in TV so vitamin D comes from the sun exposure
Old 11-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

mine even in the snow come from the sun
Old 11-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Platinum member

I get most of my Vitamin D from milk and breakfast cereal. Most of the milk in the USA has been fortified with Vitamin D since the 1930s.

In addition to sheep's wool, vitamin D is extracted from the skins of cows or pigs.

I also have a lot of salmon in my diet, which is high in Vitamin D.

Sometimes I even get out in the sunshine.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:02 AM

Sorry Carl, Not the same. Artificial, chemical and is NOT the same. Breakfast cereal is processed food and all processed food is garbage. Read the article. If you are eating farm raised salmon it is artificial also. They are fed coloring to turn them pink, and God only knows what else.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Sage

Eggs are a good source of vitamin D3, not to mention many other nutrients. This has been known for a long time. So I wouldn't say that we are just discovering or rediscovering that eggs are the perfect food.

About heart disease: To be safe, I would check the results of a blood test to see if you have high cholesterol. If you don't, good for you. If you do, you might have a problem processing cholesterol.

However, when it comes to eggs or any other form of animal protein, heart disease is not the only disease you need to worry about and there's no test that I know of that will predict whether or not you will get cancer. Breast exams and prostate exams won't predict anything in advance but will tell you that you have cancer, after the fact. And there are many cancers for which we don't get tested regularly.

This is important to keep in mind in light of the fact that animal protein, which includes eggs, is known to promote cancer.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Sage
Default How good is animal protein for your health?

Someone is putting out the word that animal protein, in the form of meat, eggs and milk, is not harmful.

But where are the large-scale long-term population studies to back it up? There are none that I know of. All the largest long term studies show that the longest lived people in the world are those who eat very little animal protein, if any. They are groups like the Adventists and the Okinawan elders.

We certainly can't use the average American as a good example. The average American eats a lot of animal protein like eggs, meat & milk. And Americans have much higher rates of cancer to go along with that.

The groups that are vegan or vegetarian seem to do the best. And at the same time they avoid high calorie processed foods.

Last edited by Villages PL; 11-16-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.