Dr. Michael Tolentino -- Retina & Macular Disease

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Veteran member
Default Dr. Michael Tolentino -- Retina & Macular Disease

I received a letter today from my Ophthalmologist's office (the above office) saying they had "mixed emotions about the sudden departure" of Dr. Tolentino. I have had AMD (macular degeneration) for a dozen years or so and was very impressed with Dr. "T".

Two questions:
1. Does anybody know what happened to him?
2. Who would you recommend for "advanced treatment" of AMD?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

ted
Old 04-06-2017, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
I received a letter today from my Ophthalmologist's office (the above office) saying they had "mixed emotions about the sudden departure" of Dr. Tolentino. I have had AMD (macular degeneration) for a dozen years or so and was very impressed with Dr. "T".

Two questions:
1. Does anybody know what happened to him?
2. Who would you recommend for "advanced treatment" of AMD?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

ted
I have Macular. I see Dr. Richard S. Hamilton at Center for Retina & Macular Disease here in TV. He has impeccable credentials, graduated from Harvard Med. Really like him. Very straight talker.

I did not know that Dr. Tolentino worked out of TV, I thought he was in the Lakeland Office.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-06-2017, 07:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I have Macular. I see Dr. Richard S. Hamilton at Center for Retina & Macular Disease here in TV. He has impeccable credentials, graduated from Harvard Med. Really like him. Very straight talker.

I did not know that Dr. Tolentino worked out of TV, I thought he was in the Lakeland Office.
Dr. T actually practiced in same building as Dr. Hamilton (assuming that he too recently moved to the new location). I appreciate your high recommendation for Dr. Hamilton. I need to make a decision very quickly because I have (had) an appointment with Dr. T on the 19th.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

My husband sees Dr. Hamiliton and we have a high regard for him.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
My husband sees Dr. Hamiliton and we have a high regard for him.
Thank you. These posts are all important.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:52 PM
Gold member

Dr T did surgery on my right retina last year. He did a great job curing my distorted vision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2017, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Dr. T actually practiced in same building as Dr. Hamilton (assuming that he too recently moved to the new location). I appreciate your high recommendation for Dr. Hamilton. I need to make a decision very quickly because I have (had) an appointment with Dr. T on the 19th.
Try Dr. Hamilton, I think you will be pleased with him. At first meeting he would appear to be a little cold, but once you get to know him he is really very pleasant. He is tall, very professional, does not waste time with small talk. For me, he knows me now, he comes in shakes hands, looks at my chart - thankfully I have had no changes in my macular and so far it is only in one eye, asks if I have any questions. Shakes my hand again and says "six months, take care".

He has, in the past, shown me on the computer exactly where my macular is and that it is stablized. This may sound stupid to many people out there, but I actually told him I was concerned because I could not thread a needle and could not put the brush back in my nail polish bottle without missing the bottle a couple of times, and he sat and explained why this happens when you have macular. I was concerned that my macular was getting worse, but he just explained in layman's terms why macular causes this. In my opinion, that is what makes him a great doctor, he really understands our fear of losing our eye sight. Plus, you have to know that Dr. T would not have someone in that practice who was not up to his standards.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Dr T did surgery on my right retina last year. He did a great job curing my distorted vision.

Dr. T told me that, at my next visit, if the vision in my right eye has deteriorated more (I have macular pucker in it) he would do surgery to remove the film and stop the decline. I had a high level of confidence in him and hope that I can find another with whom I can develop that same level of trust.

Thanks for your response. Have you heard why he left so suddenly and unexpectedly?
Old 04-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Try Dr. Hamilton, I think you will be pleased with him. At first meeting he would appear to be a little cold, but once you get to know him he is really very pleasant. He is tall, very professional, does not waste time with small talk. For me, he knows me now, he comes in shakes hands, looks at my chart - thankfully I have had no changes in my macular and so far it is only in one eye, asks if I have any questions. Shakes my hand again and says "six months, take care".

He has, in the past, shown me on the computer exactly where my macular is and that it is stablized. This may sound stupid to many people out there, but I actually told him I was concerned because I could not thread a needle and could not put the brush back in my nail polish bottle without missing the bottle a couple of times, and he sat and explained why this happens when you have macular. I was concerned that my macular was getting worse, but he just explained in layman's terms why macular causes this. In my opinion, that is what makes him a great doctor, he really understands our fear of losing our eye sight. Plus, you have to know that Dr. T would not have someone in that practice who was not up to his standards.
While I haven't made a decision as of yet, I am probably going to choose between Dr. Hamilton and Dr. Wehrly. Does anyone "out there" know anything about him?

Thanks, MA and to all others who have and/or will respond.

I LOVE this blog because there is so much great information on it and so many who are willing to share their experiences!!

ted
Old 04-09-2017, 07:08 AM
Gold member

Quote:
While I haven't made a decision as of yet, I am probably going to choose between Dr. Hamilton and Dr. Wehrly. Does anyone "out there" know anything about him?

Thanks, MA and to all others who have and/or will respond.

I LOVE this blog because there is so much great information on it and so many who are willing to share their experiences!!

ted

My neighbor has Dr H. He did surgery to correct a hole in her vision. Swears by him.

Tags
tolentino, amd, macular, office, happened

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.