Dr. Smirnoff - The Way The Office Is Run

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2016, 12:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmauncc View Post
It's a shame they couldn't take up Radiology or Pathology; neither requires personal contact with actual patients!

Actually many radiologists have a lot of contact with patients. Now pathologists, that's another story.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly201 View Post
Luckily I have been to two neurologists before moving here.... both were excellent. Neither had a personality disorder. I moved and my first neurologist referred me to his "teacher" and I was with him for over 30 years! ! ! All I can say is both were excellent, couldn't ask for better physicians.

I concur. My wife currently has a fabulous neurologist in Orlando. She has had excellent (and personable) neurologists everywhere we've lived.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:58 PM

As Paul Harvey used to say: "And now for the rest of the story!"

Prior to making appointment with Dr. Smirnoff I verified 1) his practice accepted United HealthCare Medicare Advantage, 2) UHC covered an EMG/Nerve-Conduction-Study, and 3) My co-pay (per UHC) would be $40.00.

When I came for my Study appointment the receptionist insisted on a CASH PAYMENT OF $360.00 or they would not perform the study! I had her call UHC; they confirmed coverage and that my co-pay was to be $40.00. "Sorry, unless we (Smirnoff's office) receive the $360.00 CASH from you (me), up front we will not perform the study!" I paid, obtaining a cash receipt for the $360.00, and had the study.

Simply performing the EMG was not sufficient for his practice to consider me to be a patient! I had to make another appointment, a $40 co-pay, and now qualified for him to order an MRI and Digital X-rays of my neck to determine the cause of my nerve issues. About a month later I re-visited him (another $40 co-pay) to inquire what treatment plan he would recommend. The same receptionist who demanded the initial $360 casually mentioned that UHC had sent them a check and I was now owed "something" from the practice.

After waiting more than 60 days to receive that "something", on June 15 I received an envelope from Dr. Smirnoff's practice. I was more than surprised to find a BOGUS invoice for $40 supposedly covering my co-pay for the last visit, instead of a reimbursement check. BOGUS invoice, since I had the cash receipt for my co-pay due at that visit!

I composed a reply dated June 15 asking for $320 (initial $360 cash less the initial $40 co-pay for the study), adding the following sentences. "It is unclear to me whether your office practice is violating its contract with UHC, or with Medicare. However, it is clear to me that you owe me $320 and I owe you nothing." Amazing, THREE DAYS LATER I received a check from the practice for the full $320.

Next step is contacting UHC and the FL Department of Health, documenting everything and asking them to investigate Smirnoff Neurology's practices further.
Closed Thread

Tags
office, mail, check, make, pay, time, told, busy, friends, smirnoff, checks, amount, alot, special, trip, frustration, open, operates, discrepancies, cheap, patient, gas, driving, mess, mailing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.