Emergency Room

Closed Thread
Old 04-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Gold member
Talking Emergency Room

First it was my daughter and two days ago it was me that needed the services of a Emergency Room.. I now have knowledge that I would like to share with you. Ocala/Summerfield Emergency is located on 27/441 at the entrance to the Del Web community.. I was experiencing a kidney stone attack, yes, one of those where you consider killing yourself !! Anyway, within 10 minutes I was in a treatment room and an IV was being administered. I recalled my last Villages Emergence Room need where I lay on a gurney in a hallway for 8 hours (kidney stones then too)..The Summerfield Emergency was extremely professional, capable and their facility without complaint, up to date. If I am in the position of making a choice, the Summerfield facility will always be where I want to be treated.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Sage

Good to know!!!! Were you a "walk-in"? Just curious for future references......
Old 04-09-2017, 04:35 PM
Veteran member

I agree....inquiring minds want to know. Is this a "real" ER, or some kind of Urgent Care Center? It doesn't seem like it can be an emergency room unless it is associated with a hospital. Very happy to hear about your good experience, though!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 04-09-2017, 05:12 PM

Spent 9 1/2 hours in TV Hospital Emergency Room this past Thursday. Walked in at 2pm and left at 11:30pm. Never seen such incompetence. I have come to the conclusion that they just do not have any kind of system to handle the volume of people that come in. Only had one nurse practioner and one rn on duty and they just could not keep up??? It would appear that this hospital is not run very well, You just cannot operate in this manner. Never did see a doctor however the nurse pracctioner did a good job as well as the rn that tended to us. Was very sick and in a lot of pain, vomited in the waiting room and it made no difference. They just looked the other way and said there was not anything further they could do for me?????? Never go back..
Old 04-09-2017, 05:30 PM
Platinum member

You have my deepest sympathy.

After I passed a kidney stone, a female acquaintance told me that I now had an idea what childbirth feels like. I told her that when she births a baby wearing a spiked collar she will know what passing a kidney stone feels like.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

A word of caveat...Medicare will not cover the cost if the facility you went to is farther than the one closer to you. The ER doctor erred in sending me to a hospital that was farther than the other one. So I was sicced with a bill for $1300 for the excess mileage over 100 miles. 100 miles is all they will cover for an ambulance service, no matter what.

I took this through the four-level appeal process -and lost. This is one ambulance situation where Medicare simply will not budge - not even if the patient were totally unconscious.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:13 PM
Gold member

we arrived at the Villages ER at 11pm on wednesday night, husband was in DKA, diebetic ketoacidosis due to taking the new Jardiance pill. although we thought it was the flu.

He had a blood sugar of 799.....they made us wait in the er waiting room for 30 minutes before they got him into the er room 11. he spent 56 hours in the ER room 11 because they had no ICU beds available. The Er staff was attempting to maintain his condition, which they did, but the specific care needed and the endo Md was never called.

on Saturday night ICU became available and he was transfered for the care he need. Spent 25 hours there and was transfered to a hospital room last night and was discharged at 4pm today.

What a mess......

during our stay the ambulances came in and out all day long, somethimes 3 at a time. There were 3 heroin overdoses the night we arrived that were occuping the ICU.

The Villages needs more beds......it was horrible what he and I had to go thru to get to the care he needed.

They are understaffed, but desperate for more beds...

Still think it was a dream, but it was real.

Jardiance could be a killer.....please be careful if you ever take it. he had 2 doses sun and monday and while dancing with scooter the side effects stared and we thought he had come down with the flu... the side effects almost killed him.....Kidney faliure, potasium levels down to almost nill.....bad time......
Old 04-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
we arrived at the Villages ER at 11pm on wednesday night, husband was in DKA, diebetic ketoacidosis due to taking the new Jardiance pill. although we thought it was the flu.

He had a blood sugar of 799.....they made us wait in the er waiting room for 30 minutes before they got him into the er room 11. he spent 56 hours in the ER room 11 because they had no ICU beds available. The Er staff was attempting to maintain his condition, which they did, but the specific care needed and the endo Md was never called.

on Saturday night ICU became available and he was transfered for the care he need. Spent 25 hours there and was transfered to a hospital room last night and was discharged at 4pm today.

What a mess......

during our stay the ambulances came in and out all day long, somethimes 3 at a time. There were 3 heroin overdoses the night we arrived that were occuping the ICU.

The Villages needs more beds......it was horrible what he and I had to go thru to get to the care he needed.

They are understaffed, but desperate for more beds...

Still think it was a dream, but it was real.

Jardiance could be a killer.....please be careful if you ever take it. he had 2 doses sun and monday and while dancing with scooter the side effects stared and we thought he had come down with the flu... the side effects almost killed him.....Kidney faliure, potasium levels down to almost nill.....bad time......
Wow!

Hope you're both doing better now.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Platinum member

Friend went to er Thursday. Waited 6 hrs, while in pain, to be seen. Was admitted to hospital, however, no bed was available. Then they needed her spot in the er and she was sent home at midnight. No meds to take home as pharmacy at hospital was not open.??? 2nd hand info.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:29 PM

they do not have enough rooms at the hospital. I went in for lung surgery about 5 weeks ago. Was in ICU for 2 full days instead of one day as a regular room was not available.. The nurses kept on apologizing to me that I couldn't be moved from ICU.. So..... the ER gets backed up since there aren't rooms. They should have built another hospital by Brownwood which was originally planned. Would have eased the patient flow at the original hospital
Old 04-09-2017, 08:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanabanana73 View Post
I agree....inquiring minds want to know. Is this a "real" ER, or some kind of Urgent Care Center? It doesn't seem like it can be an emergency room unless it is associated with a hospital. Very happy to hear about your good experience, though!
Yes it's real beleve i's connected to one of the Ocala Hospitals and it is a real ER. Just know the Amulance will not take you there they go to the nearest
Old 04-10-2017, 03:22 PM

MY husband had his fourth bowel obstruction, went by ambo to Villages ER. No room in the ER, not enough staff. He was taken to the ER waiting room! He was vomiting feces on the floor but still no help! Colon death can occur in 2-3 hours. He was kept in the waiting room 7 hours! He was very lucky. The hospital is too small and has too few staff, especially when snowbirds are back. Read yesterday that 8,000 more acres have been purchased with plans for 14,000 more homes. Greed, greed, greed. The Villages is seriously over developed with serious lack of medical resources. If we knew it would be this bad we'd never have moved here. They say medical care is great here, but there are too many elderly means medical resources are spread WAY too thin. If I had friends who asked my opinion about moving here, I would advise against it if anyone had serious medical problems.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Ocala Regional Trauma Center (Same as ER) and subsequent admittance to The Ocala Regional Medical Center....all covered by medicare.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:59 PM
Gold member

Wonder if anyone knows answer to question about inadequate beds for folks to be transferred to from the ER. Are there really not enough beds/rooms or, is there a shortage of nursing staff to handle patients? Recent experience with wife spending 24 hours in ER bed awaiting bed "upstairs" may be the cause for the logjam that keeps folks in ER waiting room waiting to be seen and treated. Last year I recall walking "upstairs" through different parts of the hospital and saw entire sections of floor empty.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanabanana73 View Post

ERs no longer have to be attached to a hospital, but must be associated with one. Generally they are also heavily regulated as true freestanding ERs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tags
emergency, room, facility, kidney, summerfield

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.