Finding a physician who.....

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2017, 12:28 PM
Sage
Default Finding a physician who.....

I know that sometimes "word of mouth" can work beneficially so here I go. Can anyone recommend a physician who knows how to properly treat the thyroid (by ordering the correct tests beyond the standard TSH)? I was diagnosed up north with hypothyroidism and was put on Armour Thyroid. I'm currently working with a dr from Ocala who has me on Naturethroid, WP and T3. I'm with TVH and my primary admittedly doesn't know how to go beyond the Armour or Naturethroid. My experience with many doctors has been....why are you on this? I don't want to change my medications to appeal to their comfort in treating so would appreciate hearing if there are any physicians within The Villages (and even TVH care system) if possible as going to Ocala for a 15 min. office visit every 3 or 4 weeks is a bit much.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:48 PM
Sage

still waiting for a comment or more here!
Old 04-14-2017, 03:05 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

I am not from TV but hope to help some. I too have hypothyroidism and have taken Levothyroxine in various dosages the past 32 years. In one state I was referred to an endocrinologist (sp?) who asked me if I was born in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, or Illinois. He said that area was called "the goiter belt." He said I had Hiroshimato's (sp?) disease and ordered 125 mcg of Synthroid. A year later when we moved to another state, the new doctor said I had no such thing.

Several months ago there was a Wall Street Journal article about this condition and how most doctors won't go beyond thee standard TSH tests. If you like, I can look for it in my computer and email it to you.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:25 PM
Sage

I don't need an article....I need to know about a doctor who can follow me with my thyroid AND write the proper scripts. But thank you!!!
Old 04-14-2017, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
still waiting for a comment or more here!
Hopefully I can help you out a bit.
First of all, you didn't mention what the problem is. Are you questioning the original diagnosis of hypothyroidism or having trouble getting regulated---ie: maintaining a TSH between 0.5 and 2.5???

The original diagnosis is pretty close to child's play----a high TSH with low or borderline T4 levels, especially with classic symptoms of fatigue, weight gain and edema. There are other causes of high TSH, such as a pituitary adenoma or a hypothalamic dysfunction elaborating TRH, but they are rare, and would be associated with HYPERthyroidism since the feedback from high levels of T4 are ignored. Almost all cases of hypothyroidism are from Hashimoto's thyroiditis, an autoimmune destruction of the thyroid's ability to produce T3 and T4. This could be confirmed by the presence of anti thyroid peroxidase and anti thyroglobulin antibodies. End of diagnosis.

If the problem is regulation, the first thing is to run as far away from Armour thyroid as possible. It was a life saver in the 50's and 60's, but synthetic levothyroxine has almost totally replaced it. Strange that there seem to be doctors in Florida still using it. I suppose some patients WANT it, because it is "natural", well at least as natural as eating the crushed thyroid glands of pigs, cows and horses can be. The problem is that the product varies in potency and is difficult to titrate.

The synthetic hormone is much easier to work with, but there's another problem----bioavailability. There are so many generics out there that absorption can vary. It wouldn't be a problem if you could get the SAME generic brand each month, since dosing is done by TSH level, however retail pharmacies generally stock the cheapest "flavor of the month", so as the actual brand of levothyroxine varies, so does your TSH level. The solution is to always prescribe brand name Synthroid, no generic. Sometimes an endocrinologist will throw in Cytomel (T3) for good measure, but I've rarely found that necessary.

I don't think there are any endocrinologists in TVH, but I'm sure there are some who accept UHC Villages insurance.

Lastly, avoid "naturopaths" and "herbalists" like the plague. Stick with board certified internists or endocrinologists. This is a pretty easy problem to control, almost always with a single small pill. No need to buy out GNC on the advice of some quack.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I don't need an article....I need to know about a doctor who can follow me with my thyroid AND write the proper scripts. But thank you!!!
In that case, I'll apologize in advance for the above "article". But I am having trouble understanding why any boarded internist would have even the slightest problem treating your condition. Then again, I suppose this IS Florida (sorry to all the good physicians practicing here)
Old 04-14-2017, 03:43 PM
Sage

Here's a link to UHC Villages MA plan accepting endocrinologists in the area

Got an invalid file error but here it is :

https://connect.werally.com/search/p...ltyCategory=66
Old 04-14-2017, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Dr. Hamilton Fish in Leesburg (adjacent to the Mall) is an excellent endocrinologist, who for many years worked at Walter Reed in Washington.

He very carefully diagnosed my hyperthyroid issues with all available means including nuclear medicine.

He adjusted the dosage of my medicine carefully over a period of a couple of years. He is very bright, is an excellent doctor and is always on time. (Warning...don't be late for an appointment with him)

Tags
thyroid, tvh, ocala, armour, naturethroid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.